• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 17 Hit or Stabbed, 7 Confirmed Dead in Tokyo's Akihabara

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:52 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
While you may have been registered here long enough you obviously haven't been active in the forums long enough my dear Katrak. This is hardly the first time Porcupine has posted something like this before. He's about one step away from being a sociopath himself.

Don't worry about it any more, he's no longer part of this community.

And while we're on that topic, I would like to remind everyone that we frown on personal attacks in the debates here. Argue the facts, not the person presenting them, please.

As for generalizations about what bystanders will or will not do in a violent crime situation -- please give that up. No country is better or worse in this regard. No matter where you go, there is a high probability that witnesses to a violent crime will refrain from interfering, for fear of becoming victims themselves. It's a perfectly human and understandable response (if not necessarily a shining example of moral excellence). There are heroic individuals, but they are in the minority.

That's why they are regarded as heroes. If heroism were an everyday event, it wouldn't be so highly regarded.

Having said that, I should like to point out that, in instances of impersonal catastrophe (that is: fires, earthquakes, floods, and other natural disasters), the incidence of heroism is statistically much higher than that of cowardice. It surprised me to learn this, but it would appear to be a fact. Sources: multiple case studies in catastrophe psychology, incl. the Herald of Free Enterprise and Alexander Kielland wrecks, all showing statistically significant results, as reported in peer-reviewed journals and books)

But when the danger is not impersonal, when one is faced with directed violence from a determined individual, heroism is much rarer, and cowardice is the norm. I'm not sure, but it is possible that there may be some form of primate dominance-response psychology involved in this.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:39 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Having said that, I should like to point out that, in instances of impersonal catastrophe (that is: fires, earthquakes, floods, and other natural disasters), the incidence of heroism is statistically much higher than that of cowardice. It surprised me to learn this, but it would appear to be a fact.

I'm not surprised at all, for such catastrophes can't "recognize" you and retaliate later, but human criminals can.

However, I do know there's a superstition about rescuing drowning persons: those who get drowned are "dragged down" by spirits of previously drowned persons to "replace" him/her so s/he can reincarnate for another life. If you rescue the drowning person you trash the chance for him/her to reincarnate and s/he will come back for you, so you'd better not step in that water area ever again...

Sadly there are still quite a few people believing this shit in the 21st century. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
rti9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:54 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Here, those who can't speak English can get nervous, embarrassed, agitated, or even a little bit panicked, their reactions are never on par with those of Japanese.

This probably can also be applied to the Japanese. Although I agree that it could happen more often in Japan than in other countries, I'd say that "afraid" might be a word too strong to describe this phenomenon. A sociologist would probably be welcomed here.

The best examples I can think of are from the Azumanga Daio scenes when Minamo (the gym teacher) is approached by an English speaking foreigner and when Kagura helps one carry his luggage. Those should be the usual reactions you should expect nowadays.

dormcat wrote:
He asked the clerk about "microwave oven" in English, and the clerk jumped backwards, with his back against the wall, as if he had just witnessed an extraterrestrial being on Earth. And similar incidents happen quite often.

I'd guess that while in most countries the clerk would "blame" you for not knowing the local language, many Japanese would tend to blame themselves for causing some kind of inconvenience to the customer. This problem might be catalyzed a bit by our expectancy of civilized nations to speak English as a second language.

English is an obligatory course in the Japanese education system, but I've already spoken to lots of them and the general view is that it is just another course, like science or math. Many study just for the tests' sake. It may sound strange to us at first, but there is a huge difference between choosing to study a foreign language and being obliged to study one.
Michael_Arnold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

Argue the facts, not the person presenting them, please.

Right, facts. The ideas here about how Japanese people are paralyzed in the face of danger and in terrified in the face of English are not facts or even educated guesses. They're stereotypes.

Quote:

As for generalizations about what bystanders will or will not do in a violent crime situation -- please give that up.

Thanks.

AFP and Guardian reported on some of the cell phone and bbs messages, as well as a comic/game connection.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jun/09/japan?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront
Guardian: "Like many of the people who witnessed his attack, he was obsessed with manga comics and video games."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080609/wl_asia_afp/japancrime_080609130524
AFP: "The bespectacled Kato reportedly had an interest in comic-book and video-game subculture."

Some of the posts here have suggested that the crime has no connection to Akihabara or comic culture, but the Japanese media is full of reports saying the opposite. Many places (TV Asahi and Yukan Fuji, among others) have picked up an article about an interview with a coworker of Kato's. The coworker said Kato was a lolicon otaku who claimed to be "only interested in 2D". According to him, Kato had nothing in his room but a few dojinshi. He also said that Kato would always sing anime songs at karaoke, and loved Akihabara and would take coworkers to Akihabara to go to maid cafes (despite the fact that he only likes 2D"?).

Obviously people in the anime fan community aren't so happy about this (although it doesn't seem to be a big surprise). And people on 2ch and elsewhere are posting complaints that this anime stuff is being used to deflect attention from something that probably contributed much more directly--the working conditions at Kato's job, and the fact that he just got fired. Some posters are wondering why the news isn't reporting more on the company Kato worked for (a subcontractor or subsidiary for a major Japanese car company) and are speculating about possible industry pressure on the media.

Here's a thread on that subject that topped 1000 posts in about 6 hours.
http://namidame.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/news/1213005244/
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Wow, I never thought anyone would accuse dormcat of trolling. The thing is, everything he said is valid. Bystander mentality in Japan is much, MUCH different in Japan than anywhere else in the world. In Eastern Europe, this man might have been mobbed by the bystanders. In America, there's a chance that someone would have jumped in to help stop the assailant. I cannot imagine either of those scenes happening in Japan. I imagine everyone stopping, exactly where they were, to watch the scene unfold, paralyzed by their inability to do something. "Shikataganai!" "It couldn't be helped!" No, Michael_Arnold, what dormcat says is not ridiculous and is completely relevant, as cultural attitudes are directly revealed in stressful situations such as this.

Michael_Arnold wrote:
You're not going to find any explanations for this tragedy if you keep clinging to stereotypes...

Au Contraire. Please learn the difference between "stereotype" and "generalization". Stereotypes are made with little knowledge; generalizations are made after research. And it is in these generalizations, which reveal culture-wide attitudes, that you will find an explanation of this crime, if there is one to be had.

I feel the need to give an example. Take suicide. As most anime fans know, suicide used to be a form of regaining lost honor for your family. Those who took their own lives were held in high regard, as they bravely met their fate. At the same time in the West, suicide was seen as a coward's way out. Someone just wanted to run away. The corpses of the dead were beheaded, and superstition held that the suicidal person would receive certain punishments in the afterlife. Now, argue with me all you want, but when you see that Japan still has the highest suicide rate in the world, I will look back at cultural mindsets that have been carried by people over centuries. This is a generalization (after all, not every businessman who looses his livelihood jumps in front of a train), but it is still very real.
I have to say, I agree with both dormcat and Bleu about crime and Japanese people. You need to understand something Michael, I'm not stereotyping Japanese people even though I don't even live in Japan but I know crime is not a common way of life and in a country where mass murder is almost unthinkable what makes you think Japanese bystanders are going to do something when they see something like this?

Think about it! Before the 1980s, crime used to be pretty rare here in America, people kept thier doors unlocked at night,opened hier windows, and women even carelessly walked alone! You should take time to think about what would happen if you were a vitcim of crime. After all when James Huberty walked into a Mcdonalds and gunned down 21 mexicans in July 1984 in San Diego(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Ysidro_McDonald%27s_massacre), Ca did bystanders try to stop him?No. They were parlayzed with helpless fear. You see when this occured, there wasn't even a such thing as term for mass murder! The nation was horrified by Huberty's actions and his racism against mexicans, but the 1984 McDonalds massacre was the begining of a trend of mass murder sprees in the U.S. which resulted in a rise in mass murder rates in the counrty relaspsing with the Luby's shooting of '91 and then leading up to Columbine 4-20-1999 and the school shootings that preceeded it and the most recent Virgina Tech and Nebraska Mall massacres from last year. We are used to this type of thing, but Japan isn't so you can't call 67 mass killings in a decade a concern. Just be glad that crime is low in Japan and that because it's foreign there Japanese citizens share the same view of crime as we did in the 1960s and 70s. But by 1985, when "The Night Stalker" was evading police in L.A., America was no longer tolerant of crimes like these as an angry mob chased down Richard Ramirez and clocked him with a lead pipe and one of the young bystanders in Killeen,TX even said she wished she had her handgun that Texas law forced her to leave in her truck because she wanted to take Hennard out herself with one shot. And in the Miyazaki case, it was reported that while he was trying to peek under a little girl's panties, her father chased him down the playground and tackled him down before police finally caught him.

In my final point, I'm trying to say is that as long as the rate stays low, Japan will never become intorlerant to crime and mass killings as Americans have, I can only imagine what was going through the minds of innocent bystanders when they say Sato stabbing people at random I agree with Bleu, they probably were shouting: "Shikataganai!" as they stood helpless not knowing what to do.

As for Sato's motive, as with most mass murderers there probably is no motive just a random act driven by mental illness. Huberty was a middle age white man who was mentally unstable and blamed all his job failures on latinos even commenting to his wife" I'm going human hunting" and "society had its chance" and even shouted racial slurs to a young hispanic mother to quiet her baby " Will Shut the kid up you mexican bitch?" Hennard used sexism for his excuse to blame his mistakes on people retorting "I'm going to get those white bitches of Bell county".

Most mass murders like Huberty,Hennard,Klebold,Harris, and Cho commit randomsacts because of thier mental state. Most of time, there's no motive for some reason.
Michael_Arnold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Kanto Auto Works released a statement about the incident.
http://www.kanto-aw.co.jp/
zargas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I see that the Japanese TV news shows are living up to their well-established standards of melodramatic sensationalism. Rolling Eyes
http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=4835
If that's the tone they wish to establish, then might as well play along and say that they're a bunch of soul-less vultures that feed on other people's pain and suffering, tearing out every bit of sordid dripping flesh they can. And that goes double for any two-bit politician, pundit, and moral activist that surely will seek to suck as much blood out of this for their own benefit, as opposed to actually helping to heal this bleeding wound.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Tornado: Actually, crime in America went up in the 60s and 70s, and peaked in the 80s, before declining in the 90s.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Tornado: Actually, crime in America went up in the 60s and 70s, and peaked in the 80s, before declining in the 90s.

I know. But it wasn't that common during the 1960s and 70s.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
GATSU wrote:

First off this is OT. Second crime before the 80's was rare? Are you freaking kidding me? Do lynchings, rape of black women and race crimes suddenly not count? Are those perpetrators exempt from laws all of a sudden? And that's just one particular subject. As a criminal justice major I can assure you your statement is completely false. I won't deny crime has increased in percentages since then but part of that is also due to an increase in population. As there are far more people here then 20, 30, or 40 years ago there will of course be more crime. Now even factoring that in statistically I won't deny the rate of crimes have gone up. There's also an increase in technology and killing is far easier now. Plus as technology increases and as society advances there are more crimes themselves that can be perpetrated now. I mean 20 some odd years ago there was no real identity theft, electronic theft, or any of the new cyber crimes that have arisen as technology has progressed. I could go on and on and on with countless Statistics and examples of reference but that would be going even further OT and believe it or not I don't feel like being yelled at for once here. Suffice to say you're way off the mark on many levels with your assumption that crime was rare before the 80's.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
GATSU wrote:

First off this is OT. Second crime before the 80's was rare? Are you freaking kidding me? Do lynchings, rape of black women and race crimes suddenly not count? Are those perpetrators exempt from laws all of a sudden? And that's just one particular subject. As a criminal justice major I can assure you your statement is completely false. I won't deny crime has increased in percentages since then but part of that is also due to an increase in population. As there are far more people here then 20, 30, or 40 years ago there will of course be more crime. Now even factoring that in statistically I won't deny the rate of crimes have gone up. There's also an increase in technology and killing is far easier now. Plus as technology increases and as society advances there are more crimes themselves that can be perpetrated now. I mean 20 some odd years ago there was no real identity theft, electronic theft, or any of the new cyber crimes that have arisen as technology has progressed. I could go on and on and on with countless Statistics and examples of reference but that would be going even further OT and believe it or not I don't feel like being yelled at for once here. Suffice to say you're way off the mark on many levels with your assumption that crime was rare before the 80's.
I did not say it was rare back then I said it wasn't as common as it is today. After all, why did people sleep with thier doors unlocked?
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Akibablog is saying that things have sort of gone back to normal. http://blog.livedoor.jp/geek/archives/50671258.html Chuodori is still baracaded but people have returned and are carrying on as usual.
I think the best testament to the victims would be for business to continue in Akihabara, and for it to remain a popular spot for tourism.

I think the media (at least 1 or 2 of the news sites) is oversensationalizing the anime and video game thing waaay too much. They're going on about videogame violence when the only game they mention him playing is "Tales of Destiny". Then they go on about him only singing anime songs at karaoke, and how he had some doujinshi in his apartment. He was also interested in tennis and cars, but this is not given nearly as much attention...
I wish they'd focus more on his mental illness issues, his interest in guns, and the fact that he lost his job.

Ugh at the above video clip...FNN pretty much equals Fox News now. They tried to connect how Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword led to the stabbings a while ago in Ibaraki...when the first murder happened March 19th, and the game didn't come out until the 20th.

I think most of the other news sites are doing okay though.

A lot of the people who rushed to help the victims, and applied first aid until the ambulences came were probably fans themselves. I wish the media would recognize this...
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Now that I think about it, I wonder if Kon-san will have to discontinue his 10th anniversary edition of Perfect Blue...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:05 am Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
I did not say it was rare back then I said it wasn't as common as it is today. After all, why did people sleep with thier doors unlocked?

Really, then I suppose I imagined you saying this;

Quote:
Think about it! Before the 1980s, crime used to be pretty rare here in America, people kept thier doors unlocked at night,opened hier windows, and women even carelessly walked alone!

While crime may have increased I again point out as the population increases so will the crime rate. Another reason people aren't as open or trusting anymore is because of the media. Now thanks to the daily news word travels much faster. People can see the world isn't as safe as it appears to be. The way the news reports issues with its sensationalism ideals doesn't help either. You also have to figure in different areas are safer then others. I'm sure plenty of people still leave their doors unlocked, open their windows, and women still walk alone. This is getting further OT so I'm going to stop here. If you wish to continue this discussion then do it via PM.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:46 am Reply with quote
So who wants to bet someone will be tasteless enough to cosplay as the guy?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9