• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 17 Hit or Stabbed, 7 Confirmed Dead in Tokyo's Akihabara

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calimike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:29 am Reply with quote
Suspect look like Atsushi Itō
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atsushi_Itō
GwennBlackfeather

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:44 am Reply with quote
Heart goes out to those folks and their families. Must be terrible :/
Ranmah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:45 am Reply with quote
I'll still shop there regardless of what happened. I will not take the area for granted.

During the weekends Akiba is pretty packed, especially on good days. I would hope that the Tokyo Metropolitan Gov. would fortify that area to tell drivers that this area is off limits until 6pm or when ever that event is over.

I feel sorry for the victim's families.

This guy was just a stress-out salary man who wanted to take as out many people as possible, with a truck. He initially killed 3 people with the truck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:49 am Reply with quote
Japan Probe (GRAPHIC CONTENT WARNING) says 7, plus photos of the alleged killer. Oh, and 2ch going nuts over some shameless idiots waving at the camera during the news coverage.
Punynari

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:54 am Reply with quote
This whole incident makes me sick to my stomach. To be "sick of life" and to take it out on inicent people. As another poster said, I bet he backed out of his plan to commit suicide after this and tryed to run away. Hope he gets the death penalty (not sure if Japan has this).

Its kind of scary. I reguarly go to Akiba on the weekends when I'm in port. If I wasn't underway, I probably would have been there. When I get back, I'm still going to go to Akihabara though.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:57 am Reply with quote
Wow. This is horrible... as earlier posts said, if this had been a shooting incident, the death toll would have been even worse. Reminds me of the Akihabara shooting scene in Gantz.

My heart goes out to the families of the victims.
Sticks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:57 am Reply with quote
Very sad to hear about this, no matter where in the world it happens. I can only imagine what the people are going through and wish them all well.

From what Im hearing on NHK and CNN, this kind of thing doesn't really happen in Japan that often, so when it does, it's big news. If the guy really was fustrated about his life, it's not the first time someone goes off the deep end like this, some more or less violent then others.

Here in California for example, we had a guy once who drove all over L.A. once running people off the road or hitting them along the way only to run out of gas on the freeway on his way to San Diego, then pointed a gun at the cops who then shot him dead. From what think I remember, 2 people were killed.

Now that I think about it, incidents like this happen all over the country or in other parts of the world, but we hear about them all over the news all the time, from the very small to the very large. I can't help to think that we feel that Japan could never have people like this who would do such a thing. Maybe we get mixed up thinking the culture would never have people like this.

I don't think the otaku lifestyle had anything to do with this, it was just some guy who went nuts or was just acting violently stupid.

And I don't really believe it will have a major impact in the Akihabara district after awhile. Sure people will never forget about what happened and it will be brought up all the time there, but people will adjust and go back to their lives in time, and the area will still do business as usual.

As for the idiot who did the killings, I just say put him in a room with the families for about a minute or two, but don't kill the guy, let him rot in prison for his stupidity. I don't really believe in killing someone, but I don't have a problem with long, slow torture.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:05 am Reply with quote
Punynari wrote:
This whole incident makes me sick to my stomach. To be "sick of life" and to take it out on inicent people. As another poster said, I bet he backed out of his plan to commit suicide after this and tryed to run away. Hope he gets the death penalty (not sure if Japan has this).

Its kind of scary. I reguarly go to Akiba on the weekends when I'm in port. If I wasn't underway, I probably would have been there. When I get back, I'm still going to go to Akihabara though.

Yeah, they have the death sentence; but look at Miyazaki, he isn't dead yet and it's been almost twenty years.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:05 am Reply with quote
Punynari wrote:
Hope he gets the death penalty (not sure if Japan has this).

Japan does have the death penalty (death by hanging). This is quite rare and only the worst of the worst gets this honor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
loka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:26 am Reply with quote
i noticed someone posted GTA IV in that thread. even though he was recently disbarred, i'm sure Jack Thompson is still having an orgasm somewhere.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:08 am Reply with quote
They didn't post GTA IV; it was a standard case of generated advertisements. Still ironic though.

For any who think this isn't really anime news, keep in mind that this intersection is about a half-block away from what is arguably the largest anime store in the entire world (If I remember correctly it's called Gamers).
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
It's tragic every time someone decides to take out there frustrations by murdering innocent people. Incidents like this always make me wonder exactly what kind of mindset allows someone to think "I'm unhappy, I think I'll go murder some other people, that'll be good." How does someone get this messed up?

To see so many people die for such a pointless reason, the deranged whim of one lone loser, it just makes me very sad and more than a little angry. If Japan's legal system doesn't want to bury him under a rock, I hope they at least lose the key to his cell.

Although we'll never really know for sure, I do think this incident occured because of otaku hate. Much like how other mass and serial murderers target people, I imagine this guy thought to himself "oh, hey, it's only otaku. No one cares about them anyway and there are so many."
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:22 am Reply with quote
Considering that there appears to be absolutely zero evidence to support this, I find it interesting that everybody (both in this forum and in the Japanese fora) are so eager to claim this as something otaku-related. Notice how many simply accept this as truth, without any corroboration. It "must" be true, because it is so convenient.

There are a whole slew of psychological mechanisms in operation, in this case, but among them is the almost ennobled status given victims, and secondary victims (relatives and friends of the victim), by the media. By claiming that the (in my opinion) probably random attack at Akihabara was specifically targeted against otakus, the rest of the otaku community gain status as victims by proxy, and seek sympathy.

- abunai
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:32 am Reply with quote
If 7 people are dead (so far) just because this psycho felt like taking his frustration out on innocent people, he'll probably get the death penalty. He certainly deserves it.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
Horrible.

I don't this is a "Let's target and kill otaku!" incident. I think due to his psycho killing spree he just chose anywhere and it happened to be Akihabara. It could of been Ginza, Harajuku, Shinjuku or anywhere in tokyo. It turned out to be Akiba though.

This is horrible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9