• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Not-So-Daily Link of the Day: IMDB Asks, "Which Miyazaki film is Your Favorite?"

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PTRMAN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
Kind of a shame so many have never heard of him. I'd put most of the blame for that on Disney. Of course that seems to be their thing = everything is marketed under the Disney name. I don't think they'd ever promote either Miyazaki or Studio Ghibli. Just Disney.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote
What? All the boxes of the DVDs I have say Hayao Miyazaki and/or Studio Ghibli. Even the commercials I've seen before mention both. You can't expect a good majority of IMDB to watch animation, let alone Ghibli films. Disney can say Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli's name all they want, but it's not going to change the fact that they may still be not well known throughout the movie-watching community.

Last edited by Asrialys on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
Spirited Away, for it's blend of cultures and always able to keep the humor in there.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote
If I were arsed to sign up for IMDB just to vote for this, it'd be Nausicaa all the way. Such a wonderfully epic fantasy...and Patrick Stewart to boot.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
Not enough Porco Rosso love is quite sad. I was really happy it made #2 on Anime Insider's Top 50 of all time list a few months back. It's sorely underrated.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
I'd have to say Spirited Away, since it was one of my earliest forays into anime and because it's still sweet and charming and absolutely gorgeous to look at. None of Miyazaki's other films (with the exception of Kiki's Delivery Service) have ever really resonated with me; there's too much pacifism in them for my tastes.

I was really disappointed by the Nausicaa movie too, but that's probably because I read the manga first. The manga is like a god.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
142_goofy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote
Where's Whisper of the Heart?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote
PTRMAN wrote:
Kind of a shame so many have never heard of him. I'd put most of the blame for that on Disney.

That's not the case where I live. Step into a high-street record store and you'll find an anime section, then a seperate Miyazaki section next to it. his films have had several plays on non-subscription TV, and Tales from Earthsea (which I count as Miyazaki) got advertised in free newspapers all around London.
Sometimes it feels as if, in the eyes of most non anime fans I know, Miyazaki is the anime industry, with GITS, Akira and dubbed/edited kids' shows being exceptions.

Top Gun wrote:
Patrick Stewart to boot

The first Northener in space.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:53 am Reply with quote
142_goofy wrote:

This is Studio Ghibli, but not directed by Hayao Miyazaki, although he was general producer on it. The film is by Yoshifumi Kondo.

As for this list, Spirited Away has always been one of my favorite movies, Miyazaki or otherwise. I didn't sign up to vote and couldn't view the results, but that would get my vote. Second for me would be a hard call between Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky I think.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
Well, at least people are saying they are unfamiliar, rather than not a fan. That at least is a sign of hope. I picked Spirited Away, even though everyone tells me true fans don't like that movie, but I don't care, I did. If I had to make a second choice I would choose Nausicaä, and it is a tough call to make. What miffs me is how high Princess Mononoke gets over Nausicaä. Overrated much? I think so.

142_goofy wrote:

If the question had been what is your favorite Ghibli film, that would have been my anwser too. But Miyazaki didn't make that, Yoshifumi Kondô did. Although Miyazaki did direct the dream sequence.

EDIT:
bonbonsrus wrote:
I didn't sign up to vote and couldn't view the results,
As of 1:07 PM EST wrote:
Votes
I don't think I am familiar with Miyazaki's catalog. 3641 (36.6%)
Spirited Away 2216 (22.3%)
Princess Mononoke 1113 (11.2%)
I am not a fan of Miyazaki's collected works. 699 (7.0%)
Howl's Moving Castle 592 (6.0%)
I am a big fan of Miyazaki's collected works. 471 (4.7%)
My Neighbor Totoro 366 (3.7%)
I have no opinion. 192 (1.9%)
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind 159 (1.6%)
Castle in the Sky 147 (1.5%)
Kiki's Delivery Service 146 (1.5%)
Porco rosso 103 (1.0%) Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro 77 (0.8%)
I am waiting for Ponyo on the Cliff to come out later this year. 19 (0.2%)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
I was really disappointed by the Nausicaa movie too, but that's probably because I read the manga first. The manga is like a god.

I'm in the same boat. As much as I wanted to say Nausicaä because the manga is my favoirite story ever (in any medium), the movie just didn't measure up.

Dargonxtc wrote:
What miffs me is how high Princess Mononoke gets over Nausicaä. Overrated much? I think so.

I think the problem is that Nausicaä wound up being the second choice on a lot of people's list (mine included; in fact, Princess Mononoke was my first choice). If it were set up that you had to pick your top 5 in order and then assigned points based on where it was on the list, I think Nausicaä would have fared much better.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I was about to vote Castle in the Sky, but ended up voting Kiki's Delivery Service. I remember loving that movie when I was little (and knew nothing of anime) long before seeing Castle in the Sky.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
For me, it's Princess Mononoke, followed by a tie for second with Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky.

All three of these are just absolute gems.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to guess most people don't fill out IMDB polls, since Grave of the Fireflies and Spirited Away rank fairly high at the site.
darcerin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Spirited Away and Howl for me. Howl more so though. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2