• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Acquires Dokuro-chan Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
ManSlayer07 wrote:
To the ANN editors: the article is still incorrect.

Article wrote:
Update: Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan Second has four 13-minute episodes. Thanks, Chicken008.

The second season (just like the first) has eight 13-minute episodes. Technically though, each season is four 30-minute episodes (4 one-episode DVD volumes for S1 and 2 two-episode DVD volumes for S2) as John over at AnimeNation explains on their news blog.

Actually, AnimeNation's blog is incorrect, and ANN is correct in listing different episode counts for the different seasons. The first season's DVDs are listed as 4 2-episode DVD volumes:

http://www.bin-kan.com/dvd.html

So the final tally is

First Season: 8 episodes on 4 DVDs
Second Season: 4 episodes on 2 DVDs
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
Actually, AnimeNation's blog is incorrect, and ANN is correct in listing different episode counts for the different seasons. The first season's DVDs are listed as 4 2-episode DVD volumes:

http://www.bin-kan.com/dvd.html

So the final tally is

First Season: 8 episodes on 4 DVDs
Second Season: 4 episodes on 2 DVDs

Oh, you're correct, forget my post ever existed. Razz
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh: I think I understand what you meant now. I don't think we were really disagreeing.

As a Christian, I didn't find the religious elements of Chrono Crusade offensive so much as I found them rediculous. All the same, as it's Japanese, the underlying philosophy is much more Eastern than Western. That's to be expected. But I think I'm less easily offended than some.
championferret

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote
This makes me happy and joyous and if Madman doesnt pick this up too I will be mad. >:

That aside, I'm a Christian, and I LOVE Chrono Crusade. I never found it offensive in the least...in fact, I always find religious imagery in anime/manga cool. I'm all, "Check it out, this nun kicks ass!" I dont really see reason to get offended unless the characters start going 'Yo, Jesus was a prick' and end up making that the focus or something... and I haven't exactly come across anything like that as far as I know of. Maybe it's just me?
Isikari

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I've PIRU never watched Dokuro-Chan, and don't think I will. However, I have a PIRU problem, in that I watched the oPIRUning, and can't get it out of my PIRU!

Pi-piru-piru-piru-pipiru-pi!
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
It actually sounds more like DNA2, doesn't it? Gal from future returns to past to stop geek from turning into superplayboy who's going to impregnate half (all? I forget. It really didn't matter outside of the setup) the women in the world

More like 1 million (grand-?) kids and decimated genetic dispersion within three generations if I recall.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
It actually sounds more like DNA2, doesn't it? Gal from future returns to past to stop geek from turning into superplayboy who's going to impregnate half (all? I forget. It really didn't matter outside of the setup) the women in the world

More like 1 million (grand-?) kids and decimated genetic dispersion within three generations if I recall.

I was watching it for Koyasu, but yeah, it was something about the gene pool issue & she was supposed to inject him with something to kill that super playboy potential (geek for life)

The Japanese have that whole Devilman identify with the devils & it doesn't seem uncommon for the angels to be unbending monsters (Bastard, Judas, Earthian). I swear it like they're sitting there listening to the missionaries explain Christianity & latching on to the worst elements of it. For me the biggest selling point of Christianity (I'm agnostic) is love & forgiveness, but I see more the Christian God is a killjoy & the Devil is the one who has man's best interest in mind in anime.
I had issues with the whole backstory between Aion & Chrono. Something about whacking off someone's head--I I just turned off--ok, god as no fun mode again. I also was a bit amazed the anime managed to sneak fan service into a pretty major dramatic moment (a version of comic relief? It'd be wrong to make one laugh, so look at nun undies?)
Not that I hated the story, I just have come to accept animators are latching on to totally different things than a lot of Christians about Christianity.
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:41 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
You did not just say that Chrono Crusade is an innoffensive depiction of Christianity.

You know, at that comment, I just kind of left it alone. I can't tell any longer if that guy is joking or not. Obviously, a lot of things that use Christian references tend to do so in a potentially offensive manner. I doubt that's how it's intended though. To non-Christians, it's just "hey, this is neat, let's play it up by doing this or that". A lot of anime is very fantasy heavy. It's only logical writers would take their cues from anything different or weird or quirky. I sometimes wish they wouldn't in this case but that is really up to the writers and the market. Most of the harmless things out there I just chalk up as being "kind of tacky". I mean, no harm is usually ment. Some of it can be downright offensive. I've never seen Chrono Crusade, but I know what it is. I hope no Christians are using this as a guideline for how they live their lives. It really isn't representative of Christianity.
Nebs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:21 am Reply with quote
According to Sirabella's unintentionally vague comments on AoD, it seems Dokuro-chan is actually a Geneon license rescue....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:32 am Reply with quote
vtnwesley wrote:
Obviously, a lot of things that use Christian references tend to do so in a potentially offensive manner. I doubt that's how it's intended though. To non-Christians, it's just "hey, this is neat, let's play it up by doing this or that". A lot of anime is very fantasy heavy.

As a Christian, I'll tell you that none of the Christians I know personally were offended by it. Like you say, it's just used as window dressing to make things more interesting in its particular fantasy setting.

Quote:
It really isn't representative of Christianity.

Glad you recognize that. Now if only people would stop trying to read Christian or anti-Christian messages into Evangelion...
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote
this could be bad.I was hoping that ADV would get this series cause of the fear of MB making it a sub only verion.I was extremely pissed when MB licensed Simoun and Strawberry Panic with subs only and now that they lave license this,i fear they might go sub completely.there goes another good series down the tube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6