• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV licenses Maburaho anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:10 am Reply with quote
'Romantic comedy'? That's one way of putting it, I guess. To make sure this sort of thing reaches its intended audience, it would make a lot more sense for domestic licensors to refer to anime of this sort as part of the 'Fanservice' genre; that is, after all, the only apparent reason for its existence. Romances usually attempt to convey some sort of meaningful emotional interplay between individuals in love; comedies are (or try to be) funny. If Maburaho was aiming for either of these goals, it failed miserably, at least from my exposure to the first few episodes.

Pity this worthless crap has to wash up on American shores, though someone is apparently going to buy it. If nothing else, you can't blame ADV for underestimating the buying power of the masturbatory basement dweller demographic.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm up to episode 9 and I'd classify it as a romantic comedy. Sure, there's some fanservice in there...but it's definitely a romantic comedy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Stitch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I've seen all of the 14 fansubbed episodes and it's defenantly comedy, everybody has his or her own preference of comedy and this sure falls in my lane of comedy.

I'm glad to hear ADV has it, because I enjoy ADVs dubs even though I mostly switch to Japense with English subtitles anyways, I like the features ADV always add to it and they don't cut out parts of the anime, like I've seen being done to Wings of Honneamise - Royal Space Force which got licensed by another company, I so don't like that company for doing so.

There's some interesting plot change happening in 12 to 14 and I'm kinda sad that I can't view the rest fansubbed, mainly because I like the "extra" lines added by the fansubbers along with the much better looking and funny subtitles.

Atleast I can have piece of mind that it's in ADVs hands and I'll be looking forward to the DVDs, even though I will have to wait a VERY long time before it even reaches my country.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1