• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa USA Orders Halt on Fansub Links for 11 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
A person arguing for the 'purity' of anime, while simultaneously arguing that learning Japanese is a ridiculous, unrealistic request, comes across as a rather low-rent pouser who wants accolades for being some sort of 'advanced fan' without putting any effort into the hobby at all.

Great post, Goodpenguin. So many people make a fuss over inaccurate translations etc while they themselves don't even know the first thing about the Japanese language. It's laughable.
Fear Ghoul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:08 am Reply with quote
I really don't understand what all the argument is about. At the end of the day whether fansubs are moral/ethical, legal or illegal, doesn't matter. The anime is the property of someone else, and that someone else is telling us to stop watching it without their permission. That's it.

Imagine if you will you wrote a book that you wanted to show only to your friends, and then someone came into your house, picked up your book, and started copying it and distributing it without your consent. If you were to ask the person to desist, the general reaction and attitude of most fansubbers would be to turn around and say "F*** you, this is a free country, I can do whatever I god dam please and you can't do anything to stop me." It really is pitiful. I think a lot of people would contact the authorities, and some would even reach for weapons.

And if any of you try to tell me that it's okay under the circumstances to use someone else's property without their permission then you had bad parents, and are in urgent need of moral re-evaluation.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:39 am Reply with quote
Well they aren't really accomplishing anything sending this to animesuki, except to take it down from there because I think they will do it. I do hope it means they are planning on licensing a few of those things, but who knows.

The rest here is the same old fansub argument.

I'll say that the word "property" just doesn't fit in this case. I will never agree with it's use here. Comparing it to copying a book is appropriate, but comparing it to copying a book that's in your room and never been distributed is a stretch.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:44 am Reply with quote
Fear Ghoul wrote:
I really don't understand what all the argument is about.

You clearly don't.

No one (well, almost no one) is saying that Kadokawa isn't in their rights to send these C&Ds. They're arguing three points:

1. It's pointless, since this is only a listing site, and they won't stop the files from being easily found or distributed.
2. It's doubly pointless, since most of these shows have already been completely fansubbed, so apart from one single website no longer linking to torrents, it has no effect whatsoever, and almost everyone who wanted to download the show fansubbed already did.
3. Since the shows aren't for sale in english, they aren't going to be making any money off of the people who would have watched the fansubs anyway.

Point #3 could be countered if these shows get licensed for release, but it doesn't seem like that's the case.

So, people aren't trying to say "They can't do that!" they're simply arguing "What's the point?"

You're twisting a civil discussion on the practical effectiveness of this action into a moral argument over intellectual property rights, which is frankly irrelevant to whether or not Kadokawa's actions will actually matter to anyone.
Fear Ghoul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You clearly don't.

No one (well, almost no one) is saying that Kadokawa isn't in their rights to send these C&Ds. They're arguing three points:

1. It's pointless, since this is only a listing site, and they won't stop the files from being easily found or distributed.
2. It's doubly pointless, since most of these shows have already been completely fansubbed, so apart from one single website no longer linking to torrents, it has no effect whatsoever, and almost everyone who wanted to download the show fansubbed already did.
3. Since the shows aren't for sale in english, they aren't going to be making any money off of the people who would have watched the fansubs anyway.

Point #3 could be countered if these shows get licensed for release, but it doesn't seem like that's the case.

So, people aren't trying to say "They can't do that!" they're simply arguing "What's the point?"

As fas as my experience goes, people arguing that companies shouldn't stop people pirating and people arguing that there is no point to it are one and the same. A common argument is that the companies shouldn't stop pirating because the conventional system of people having to pay for stuff is outdated and that companies will have no ill effects if pirating is allowed to continue.

What I was trying to get at was the general attitude of people who watch fansubs that they are somehow in the right to pirate materials while failing to look at simple good manners. If you want me to be more specific about this current thread, then I'll say this: Yes, bringing down this torrent link site will not solve the problem, but this site is still a form of distribution of copyrighted materials and creates the means of access to said copyrighted materials. If you're going to argue that stopping one website is pointless because these materials can easily be found elsewhere, then why don't we also stop arresting people for dealing drugs? No matter how many we catch, there are always more, so I guess we should just give up and let be eh?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:51 am Reply with quote
Fear Ghoul wrote:
If you want me to be more specific about this current thread, then I'll say this: Yes, bringing down this torrent link site will not solve the problem, but this site is still a form of distribution of copyrighted materials and creates the means of access to said copyrighted materials. If you're going to argue that stopping one website is pointless because these materials can easily be found elsewhere, then why don't we also stop arresting people for dealing drugs? No matter how many we catch, there are always more, so I guess we should just give up and let be eh?
Just so you know, but this type of rhetoric tends to only harden the hearts of those who you may have won over to your side through better argument. You basically are accusing anyone who watched or watches fansubs of being a criminal drug user who should be arrested. That's the vast majority of people who visit this site. It's like going around San Fransisco and driving around in a truck with loudspeakers blaring "Homosexuality is a SIN! You are going to hell unless you repent your ways!" it'll have the opposite effect to that which you want.

To be honest, if the drug dealers didn't make any profit off the drugs they sold and weren't violent criminals that pray on their own customers, then no, I don't think there'd be any point in arresting them.
AS and sites like it are a lot less like drug-dealers, and are much closer to enablers. They're as criminal as the neglectful parent who ignores the clear signs of their child's drug use.
Fear Ghoul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Just so you know, but this type of rhetoric tends to only harden the hearts of those who you may have won over to your side through better argument. You basically are accusing anyone who watched or watches fansubs of being a criminal drug user who should be arrested. That's the vast majority of people who visit this site. It's like going around San Fransisco and driving around in a truck with loudspeakers blaring "Homosexuality is a SIN! You are going to hell unless you repent your ways!" it'll have the opposite effect to that which you want.

To be honest, if the drug dealers didn't make any profit off the drugs they sold and weren't violent criminals that pray on their own customers, then no, I don't think there'd be any point in arresting them.
AS and sites like it are a lot less like drug-dealers, and are much closer to enablers. They're as criminal as the neglectful parent who ignores the clear signs of their child's drug use.

Yet you clearly misinterpet my point. I am not trying to say that fansubbers and people who download fansubs are drug dealers or users, or even remostely close to them. What I was driving at in my comparison with drugs was the futility of the argument that if a single act of punishment will have no net effect on crime then it shouldn't be done. The law is not about what is futile or not, because the law is absolute and taking the necessity of every day life outside the equation the law is about protecting the rights of all people at every scale of life. People are generally prosecuted for crimes regardless of whether this prosecution of a single crime will drastically alter the possibility of such crime ever occurring again. The law is above all about principle. And at the end of the day, many social norms and laws are set by a precedent. If this site can be punished for giving links to torrents, then it my act as further deterrent to other sites for doing the same.

Your parent analogy clearly doesn't work: The parent in this case must not only be neglectful of their child's drug use, but also point out on a daily basis where the child can obtain the drugs. Stop trying to nitpick my arguments by countering with exaggeration, literal interpretation, and bad counter analogies and actually try engaging with the core message of my posts before accusing me of not understanding what the argument is all about.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:22 am Reply with quote
Fear Ghoul wrote:
And if any of you try to tell me that it's okay under the circumstances to use someone else's property without their permission then you had bad parents, and are in urgent need of moral re-evaluation.

No one is saying that. All I am saying is that you are right, but I don't care that you are right.

I am downoading Wagaya. The company tells me to stop. Downloading is the only way I can watch Wagaya right now. I like Wagaya, so I don't care that the company wants me to stop.

The other series? They have all been fansubs long beofre, and I already have them. Anyone who wanted them already got them. So what's the point of sending a C&D letter NOW? A C&D letter is only effective (not really) as long as the show is not fansubed completly.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote
I read manga, and watch anime for entertainment, and that is only when I have spare time to enjoy it, which isn't very often. Though it can be fun, and rewarding, learning a language is not entertainment, it's a skill. I don't have to learn to be a carpenter to enjoy a piece of wooden furnature, or a boat builder to enjoy a boat, so why do I have to learn Japanese to enjoy Japanese anime, and manga that they want me to enjoy? If they didn't want me to enjoy it then they wouldn't go through all the expense and bother of exporting it to me. If they can't be arsed, neither can I.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:00 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I don't have to learn to be a carpenter to enjoy a piece of wooden furnature, or a boat builder to enjoy a boat, so why do I have to learn Japanese to enjoy Japanese anime, and manga that they want me to enjoy?

You know better than to go around ranting about translation issues as if you're an expert on the subject, though, right? Your point is well taken. I do agree that it's irrational to expect the average anime fan to learn Japanese.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
phoenixphire24 wrote:
As long as someone finishes Junjou I don't care if I find the torrent through anime suki or another site. I'm just worried that the fansub group will stop because of this (since I believe only 1 group is doing Junjou).
I really doubt they're going to stop now. I suspect lot of Junjou Romantica viewers are getting it directly from that particular forum, not through Anime-Suki. But anyway, I just really hope this means Junjou will be licensed. I don't even care if they do a sub-only release (a la Sukisho!!), as I prefer subs. But I'll be first in line to buy it if it comes out over here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:

You know better than to go around ranting about translation issues as if you're an expert on the subject, though, right? Your point is well taken. I do agree that it's irrational to expect the average anime fan to learn Japanese.

That's not what anyone was saying at all, though. Of course nobody "expects" anime fans to learn Japanese, nor was anyone making the case that they "have to" learn the language.

My original argument was that the shocked, angry recoil to even the suggestion that they should consider learning the language is disheartening. Learning new things is fun and enriching; learning Japanese is not only fun and enriching, but you also meet a lot of great people along the way.

I guess I just think a better reaction would be "I'd love to, I'm curious about it, but I simply don't have the time" rather than "RARRRGGGGHHH HOW DARE YOU ASK ME TO DO ANYTHING AT ALL BLLLEARRGHGJEOIHWOUH FAN RAGE".
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Ai no Kareshi wrote:

That's not what anyone was saying at all, though. Of course nobody "expects" anime fans to learn Japanese, nor was anyone making the case that they "have to" learn the language.

My original argument was that the shocked, angry recoil to even the suggestion that they should consider learning the language is disheartening. Learning new things is fun and enriching; learning Japanese is not only fun and enriching, but you also meet a lot of great people along the way.

I guess I just think a better reaction would be "I'd love to, I'm curious about it, but I simply don't have the time" rather than "RARRRGGGGHHH HOW DARE YOU ASK ME TO DO ANYTHING AT ALL BLLLEARRGHGJEOIHWOUH FAN RAGE".

Yeah, well, I kind of think of it like what happened one time with a friend of mine who really liked Gundam series. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Hey, so you really like Gundam... Have you ever actually made one of the models?
Friend: What? No way, I don't play with TOYS.
Me: Huh? No, I mean the plastic models you build and paint. They're not toys at all, they can be quite complicated.
Friend: So just because I like Gundam anime means I should waste my time building plastic pieces of crap? I like anime, not model building.

Perhaps their reaction is a bit over-the-top, but assuming that everyone who likes anime has a remote interest in learning japanese is a stereotype that can get on people's nerves. The reaction isn't to the suggestion that they put some effort into their hobby: It's the suggestion that Anime is somehow intricately linked to learning Japanese or interest in the Japanese language, which for many people it isn't.
People have their own ways of being fans, and when you start to imply that because their way doesn't match with your expectations of the "norm", some people take offense to it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

People have their own ways of being fans, and when you start to imply that because their way doesn't match with your expectations of the "norm", some people take offense to it.

To be frank, the way things have been lately, it's been difficult to find something anime fans don't get offended by. I'm not sure when everyone got so touchy, but the level of offended outrage at anything and everything around here and on other forums seems to increase by the year.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Fear Ghoul wrote:
I really don't understand what all the argument is about. At the end of the day whether fansubs are moral/ethical, legal or illegal, doesn't matter. The anime is the property of someone else, and that someone else is telling us to stop watching it without their permission. That's it.

The argument stems from a lot of things but the biggest is practical application. Here's how what you just said tends to work out in real life "At the end if the day this here air is my property and by the power vested in me by this fat wad of cash I just paid congress I hereby declare I have the right to shoot you dead at will for breathing it without permission, starting...now."

It's a level of absurdity that a very large number of people seem to believe defies all logic and reason. (Note that I used hyperbole to show you how many other people tend to view what you just said.) Copyright in its essence can be a good concept and it can be used to do good. However so can a machine gun, should we start handing them out to chimps to do as they please?

Quote:
Imagine if you will you wrote a book that you wanted to show only to your friends, and then someone came into your house, picked up your book, and started copying it and distributing it without your consent. If you were to ask the person to desist, the general reaction and attitude of most fansubbers would be to turn around and say "F*** you, this is a free country, I can do whatever I god dam please and you can't do anything to stop me." It really is pitiful. I think a lot of people would contact the authorities, and some would even reach for weapons.

What about if you told me a bunch of secrets in private and I blabbed them out to everyone at a huge public gathering? Should we go and call the cops on me now and have me fined and thrown in jail? I just did the same thing, took private personal information, the same as a book and in many ways possibly just as personal, and then shared it very publicly with the world.

There's a distinct difference between a book and a secret, and I'd hope that also show how there can be a distinct difference between say, copying a fansub of a show that most likely is physically impossible for you to purchase, and say printing out pirate DVDs and hawking them for profit in hong kong.

Quote:

Are people property? What about inmates? What about kids? What about pets? What about concepts? Can I own irony, or how about owning the human genome? Could I just up and tell some seven billion people they had better all instantly alter their genetic makeup or I'm suing them for damages for every cell in their body?

Whether someone can own something, whether they should, and what limits there should be are all very different things and things that weigh heavily on something, and calling someone morally warped for refusing to see the world in black or white is insulting.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7