• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Navarre Announces Financial Results for 2007-2008

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beruda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
It seems the reason Funimation started to do better and was able to get more popular and expensive licenses was because they were bought out or partnered with Navarro (sorry for the possible misspelling). I'm sure it's not as simplistic as that perhaps but getting an influx of cash usually does help a company quite a bit. Of course you have to use the money wisely.

B.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
minakichan wrote:
So in a world in which Geneon has kicked the bucket, ADV has some kind of mild cancer, and Tokyopop is undergoing massive surgery, Funimation is improving, for various reasons.

Conclusion: sky is not falling.

The sky is still falling.
Sort of.
Issue is Funi had their bout with cancer a few yrs back while the industry was booming so they had some wiggle room. I was seriously worried for them for a couple yrs as DBZ was winding down & they seemed to be looking for their next big title. Blue Gender didn't do much for me. I loved Fruits Basket & pitched it to everyone & anyone, but it didn't seem to take off until they boxed it (Everyone seemed put off by the $35 price tag for 7 eps back then). I'm sure Case Closed being licensed was only because they were looking for another DBZ-style lenthy series & Toei wanted a King's Ransom for One Piece.
But they made it thru, discovered they could go with shorter titles & seem to have adjusted their outlook/style so that now times are tough, they're in place to do well. I really believe they are a better company for all the hardship they went thru finding their direction.
ADV has hit some speed bumps here & there, but it doesn't seem to have hit until this latest incident. They & Geneon both have done layoffs in the past. I really still consider Geneon's demise was more the Japanese parent company & believe they'd still be here if not for stuff that went on in their corporate structure which is very sad for all involved on this side of the Pacific. ADV could have taken those prior speed bumps & learned as Funi seemed to, but they seem to have continued in the Big Fish mode until the lake water dried seriously enough as to affect their swimming.
Glad to see Funimation is doing well, but i'm still pissed at Gonzo for thier strict anti-piracy policies. Why else would Navarro not be doing well with Desert Punk,Witchblade and Speed Grapher, and even Crayon Shin-chan which is still maintaining water all in syndication on cable?

Well as for ADV, there seems to be alot of speculation on how they are doing after the licensing issues that occurred early this year. I can honestly tell you that alot of those working at ADV say that things are improving alot and that the company is slowly working on it's licenses making sure they are proper and I'm very confident that the fall of 2008 will look much better for them as they prepare to obtain more licenses and finally release the long awaited "St. Frog."

I agree with CCSYueh concerning "Geneon USA", thier problem was bad overseas business decisions, poor distribution and even worse little investment into fansub streaming a proper DVD coding.

Interesting ebnugh I can't believe it's already been 9 months since Geneon USA went under and everyone at that time was saying that the indsutry was on the verge of total doom predicting that another company would be next and although ADV films had a little scare in January, there are very little signs that another anime distributor is going under even small distributors like CPM,RightStuf, Media Blasters and Viz seem to be doing fine.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
trandraskell wrote:
Not once did i say that they were going to later release a hybrid dvd later and Bandai did say that with Gurran that they are doing subtitle now and then in 2009 they were going to do a dub version release.
Sorry but the way I read that implied that assumption.

Quote:
I believe that maybe one day we might see more dubs on series that been released as sub only but right now with the market the way it is, I think it is a smart option. Only time will tell what will happen and did they make the right choice.
But here is the here is the thing let me ask you this what do a company have to do to make money. Do they A,adapt to the market and get subs out for people to and try to stop people downloading fansubs. or B let do business the old way and then we spend all this time making money and then the market changes and we are now in trouble because it takes two years for the series to get here. To me I think option A is abetter choice as a business.
To me it's C) All the above. There is no reason, except budgetary restraints, not to.
Quote:
Companies were spending to much money to release a series with both a dub and subtitles. ( Do not get me wrong I do like series some series that are dub.) But If a business has a option that I can sell 600 copies to people now with a subtitle copy and make x amount of dollars or wait two years and get a dub out and hope that maybe I make my money back with the 350 dvds sold. Look at the Right Stuf model that was done on Super Gals season two. They did 600 people pre-order and it paid to have the series imported and it worked. That why they are doing it with other niche shows like aria and emma and maria watches over us. These titles would have never seen the light of day if the model does not work. It also has work for media blasters with simoun. I used to be a diehard dub fan and then as I got into anime more i found that I had to change to watch more anime.
Part of the problems is that we live in a time were people want to have the series now not two years later. Either we as anime fans have to change too and except that the model changes or we will go down in flames and I for one am willing to change.
I agree, but in this day and age there is no good reason why they have to wait 2 years, or even 12 months to get a dub out. They could easily get one done in three months if started as soon as the sub is released as well. I remember a studio rep saying that they could get 13 episodes done in a month if need be, so 2 years is like what it took back in the 90's and a bit of an old sub only cliché now. Besides all that seems just a lame excuse now with FUNi's reported success. I can change when change is necessary, but not when it's unnecessary and forced upon me. Can you tell me the total hits it got on fansubs? If 600 is all they are ever going to get with a sub only when it had several thousand hits. It's like trying to sell sand to the Saudi's. I can't see why they would bother in the first place, unless that is their plan, to be a small business working out of a bedroom with a big garage downstrairs, and a Post Office close by, which is just fine, well , and good. But if they want me to part with my hard earned brass they better offer something I want, because there's plenty others who will. Wink
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Even though the last english episode of the show aired five years ago, DBZ continues to be FUNimation's cash cow. They've re-released the series about 1000 times in various formats. The uncut season sets they've been doing have been selling well, and even when they bring all of them out, the party's still not over, because then they can start all over again releasing the series on Blu-Ray.

Their success is not all due to DBZ, of course, but the way FUNi has treated this franchise should really be an example to other companies. They've really milked it quite expertly over the years.
trandraskell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:45 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Mohawk52"]
Quote:
I agree, but in this day and age there is no good reason why they have to wait 2 years, or even 12 months to get a dub out. They could easily get one done in three months if started as soon as the sub is released as well. I remember a studio rep saying that they could get 13 episodes done in a month if need be, so 2 years is like what it took back in the 90's and a bit of an old sub only cliché now. Besides all that seems just a lame excuse now with FUNi's reported success. I can change when change is necessary, but not when it's unnecessary and forced upon me. Can you tell me the total hits it got on fansubs? If 600 is all they are ever going to get with a sub only when it had several thousand hits. It's like trying to sell sand to the Saudi's. I can't see why they would bother in the first place, unless that is their plan, to be a small business working out of a bedroom with a big garage downstrairs, and a Post Office close by, which is just fine, well , and good. But if they want me to part with my hard earned brass they better offer something I want, because there's plenty others who will. Wink

Okay I can agree with somethings that you have said but something that you have to understand is now the business model works here.I am going to hopefully explain. ( I have my own comic series and while in the middle of creating i have a option to black and white or to do color. Now color cost more for me to do and I would not make any money with a colored version. Now companies like DC and Marvel that have the funds and the cash to do colors. As a small business I have to make some sacrifice to get my product out. So I would love to do color some day with my comic but right now I cannot.) This is the same with some of the anime companies do not have the cash flow to get a dub on every title. So when they look at numbers a series like aria will not make as much money and warrant a dub so they lose even more money when putting it up against a series like Shigu or kare kano. And I am sure that series like aria and emma will do well. Alot of it has to deal with cost. I believe that this is a way for companies to make back some of the loss from Fansubs and ( Yes I do think that there are some fansubs that make companies lose money, especially on series that have been brought over. I cannot tell how many times I see these people ripe the dvds and put them online.) But I do not want to get into a fansub arguement.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
..., but i'm still pissed at Gonzo for thier strict anti-piracy policies.

Yes, be upset with Gonzo for wanting to protect their properties and not having a stance that is supportive of illegal actions. Makes perfect sense.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

There is a certain pool of talented actors for one. Anyone who's heard some of the really poor dubs surely wouldn't want a return to those days. I was listening to the commentary on One Piece where Sabat & the others were talking of doing 20 different voices on a title while the main cast of One Piece has been informed they will be doing no other voices on the title (though there may be some leeway, right now the word is no. They were also encouraged to use something similar to their own range so they could feel free ti use whatever delivery they wanted for a line whereas in the past doing sevral voices they had to watch to not re-use tones on different characters)

Supernatural ended mid-May. The DVDs are due out in September. They obviously don't need to dub the show-why wait 4 months? There's lag time everywhere. Movies aren't usually released as soon as they leave the theaters.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Even though the last english episode of the show aired five years ago, DBZ continues to be FUNimation's cash cow. They've re-released the series about 1000 times in various formats. The uncut season sets they've been doing have been selling well, and even when they bring all of them out, the party's still not over, because then they can start all over again releasing the series on Blu-Ray.

Their success is not all due to DBZ, of course, but the way FUNi has treated this franchise should really be an example to other companies. They've really milked it quite expertly over the years.

They still have Dragonball GT to "remaster" and release through season sets and also the rest of the DBZ movies (which are already being released on Blu-ray). There's also the original Dragonball too but some other company still has its first 13 episodes.
xSaber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
steev-sama wrote:

I am glad to see Funimation boxsets. I remember when they seemed quite scared to release boxsets. Now they release them fairly quickly and I eat them up.

+1 for box sets! I can afford way more box sets priced in the 50$ range then i can buy the individual dvds.

25-35$ for a dvd with 3 or 4 eps on it is ridiculous,
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm MORE surprised that an anime company is actually showing some numbers! Anime companies are very hush hush. Than again Navarre is doing it, not Funi.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
Well, for one thing I'm glad that they're not seeming to be going anywhere down the drain this year at least.
Farix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
I'm MORE surprised that an anime company is actually showing some numbers! Anime companies are very hush hush. Than again Navarre is doing it, not Funi.

Yes, regularly releasing financial numbers does help put things into prospective. I'm not exactly sure whom most of the industry is hiding the numbers from. But a bit more transparency couldn't hurt.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:12 am Reply with quote
farix wrote:
Viga_of_stars wrote:

Yes, regularly releasing financial numbers does help put things into prospective. I'm not exactly sure whom most of the industry is hiding the numbers from. But a bit more transparency couldn't hurt.

If Navarre wasn't publicly traded on the stock market, they wouldn't release anything.
The only reason they put out reports like this is because they are legally required to as a publicly traded company in order for their shareholders and prospective shareholders to make informed investment decisions.

No private business should be forced to release sales figures or income, at least if you want the free market economy to work properly. Transparency is only important when risk is spread out among the people themselves, like in this case.

Now one could argue that in effect, hard-core anime DVD buyers act like stockholders to companies like ADV, since they are a relatively small group of people who invest a lot of money into these companies, but it's a far cry to claim then that they have a FINANCIAL stake in the success or failure of ADV or any other anime company.
Anime fans tend to confuse an EMOTIONAL stake for a financial one, and thus think that companies deserve to open their books for them. But unless ADV going bankrupt is going to cost you money directly, frankly, there's no reason for you to know their sales figures.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Now one could argue that in effect, hard-core anime DVD buyers act like stockholders to companies like ADV

Actually in business that is what we call a stakeholder, not stockholder. Any person that has a deep seeded need for either the products a company makes, or the financial success of a business without actually owning stock, is a stakeholder. How does one meet the requirements of the latter you ask? Think of someone that owns a mall. That person has no ownership over the businesses that buy space in the mall. However, that owner has an interest that those businesses are financially successful or they will all move out and the mall will shut down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Now one could argue that in effect, hard-core anime DVD buyers act like stockholders to companies like ADV

Actually in business that is what we call a stakeholder, not stockholder. Any person that has a deep seeded need for either the products a company makes, or the financial success of a business without actually owning stock, is a stakeholder. How does one meet the requirements of the latter you ask? Think of someone that owns a mall. That person has no ownership over the businesses that buy space in the mall. However, that owner has an interest that those businesses are financially successful or they will all move out and the mall will shut down.

Unfortunately in this situation the numbers are reversed: It's like the mall is owned by a thousand people and there are only 4 stores in the mall.
Whereas in the usual case the mall owner could, though his actions, help the sales potential of his-her tenants... in our situation the individual actions of any anime fan have no impact on the fate of the few companies, only a large, collective active could make a difference.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3