• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop to Keep Fruits Basket, Saiyuki, Tactics, Rave

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:
BECK!? Crying or Very sad

Exactly. It took them 3 years to finally get to where the anime left off. If they stop publishing it I will be pissed.

TsukasaElkKite wrote:

WELCOME TO THE NHK?!

Last 2 volumes already have release dates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
ARIA!!!!

YOUR AND MY SECRET!!!!

WE CANNOT LOSE THEM AGAIN!!!!!!!!
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
My worry list:

12 Kingdoms novels (and any future novels they would've licensed if their novel line did decently)
V.B. Rose
Junjou Romantica

It would also be sad if they cancelled Beck; I haven't started reading that one yet, but was interested in it.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
My friend's going to be happy that Rave Master is safe.

As for myself, the only titles I've been collecting consistently are Dragon Head (which I finished last month) and Welcome to the NHK!, which I'm confident that TP will finish it, with only 1-2 volumes remaining.

Though there is one other title that I'm worried about. While I haven't been collecting Boys Be... (2nd) for some time due to prioritizing which titles to buy, I am concerned about its fate despite the fact that it's almost done, because I'm pretty sure it hasn't been flying off the shelves, not to mention that six-month gap between Vols. 16 & 17, which adds to my concern regarding my last point.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
.hack?!

.hack//G.U.+ volume 2 and .hack//XXXX volume 1 should be at retailers soon, if not already (street date is June 17).

.hack//G.U.+ is continuing. Volume 3 was originally scheduled for October, and I have no idea if that date has changed or will change, but it's already well into production. Volume 4 is in progress.

.hack//XXXX is only two volumes, with the second volume originally scheduled for October, and also well into production. I can't imagine they'd put out just one volume and not the other.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping they'll still release the KKM light novels and manga. Esp. the manga. The light novels are more likely to be dropped, but fans of the show have little online access to either of these, so I think they would sell pretty well, so I hope they dont halt production on them.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
the_seventh_l wrote:
I'm pretty sure Loveless is safe. Very Happy

Thank God...
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Sakura Shinguji wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
.hack?!

.hack//G.U.+ volume 2 and .hack//XXXX volume 1 should be at retailers soon, if not already (street date is June 17).

.hack//G.U.+ is continuing. Volume 3 was originally scheduled for October, and I have no idea if that date has changed or will change, but it's already well into production. Volume 4 is in progress.

.hack//XXXX is only two volumes, with the second volume originally scheduled for October, and also well into production. I can't imagine they'd put out just one volume and not the other.

Thank you so much.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
My worry list:
Junjou Romantica
Isn't Junjou published by Blu? ( Are they TokyoPop-affiliated?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the_seventh_l

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
My worry list:
Junjou Romantica

BLU is owned by Tokyopop.
Ligene

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm definitely worried about Scrapped Princess and ARIA if they're only keeping their popular titles.
erilot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I typically do not post and have been reading a lot of the replys. I don't mind them cutting back, but I am tired of all these publishers buying up licenses and not doing anything. Seems so many series I liked have been licensed, but who knows if and when they will be released in the US. They just publish when they buy up a license and never bother to tell us when we can expect to see a Manga. In a year? Maybe two? Never!

Now I am just stuck in many series since most scanlators will not continue with a license (cough). I spend more money on Manga than DVD's. I like a variety of Manga from Shojo to Yaoi (the soft type with nice romance and a plot).

I am sure others are just as frustrated by this. I am glad I don't read Japanese, since I have heard and read so many complaints on how TP translates. Hopefully TP will give up some of their licenses so others can pick them up.
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
So, if we are being assured as to a few titles that won't be cancelled, I suppose that means that this confirms the fact that some titles will be cancelled....

Now I'm worrying a little bit more about the Trinity Blood novels because I have no idea how well they are selling....I want to be assured that they'll be fine! I love them so much because they are the original story that the manga and anime were based on and have so many more interesting details and make more sense and have a lot more meaty character development and a lot more intricacy in the relationships between characters. It truly vexes me to think that I could lose the chance to read all of the books in each series. Sad

And I do hope that Tokyopop can find a title to take up the baton from Fruits Basket....
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Somehow I do not think the Blu line is in any danger. BL is still on top of its game right now and TP would be really dumb to stop publishing titles like Junjou or Love Pistols (if and when we get new chapters past those in Vol 5).

Since Saiyuki is safe, it makes me wonder about Wild Adapter. Will just have to keep an eye on that one for the time being.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
the_seventh_l wrote:
poonk wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
My worry list:
Junjou Romantica
BLU is owned by Tokyopop.
Aah, I see. Just because a title wasn't mentioned doesn't necessarily mean it's canceled, though, so I won't panic yet (and they'd be complete fools not to continue Junjou, especially with a very popular anime currently airing). Although I suppose anything's possible (after all, I got cut off in the middle the Viewfinder, Kizuna, and Embracing Love series when BeBeautiful sort of dropped off the map). It seems like a really crappy thing to do to readers, but it is a business, ultimately.

geishageek wrote:
Somehow I do not think the Blu line is in any danger. BL is still on top of its game right now and TP would be really dumb to stop publishing titles like Junjou or Love Pistols (if and when we get new chapters past those in Vol 5).
I tend to agree-- even if general business is down, I'll bet shounen-ai/yaoi business is up (my credit card bill can attest to that).

Last edited by poonk on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5