• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop to Keep Fruits Basket, Saiyuki, Tactics, Rave

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if B't X is safe...

They only have two volumes left, with volume 15 coming out next month and volumes 16 coming out in January. Hell, Peter Alstrohm told me on the TokyoPop forums that they only reason they were still doing it at 6-month interals was because they were near the end; to stop it would be just stupid, especially since they have been doing the twice-a-year method since 2006 or so.

In all honesty though, I'm wondering if TokyoPop is even going to bother doing more Kindaichi Case Files. They've been doing the twice-a-year method for that for about as long as B't X but they still have around 10 or so volumes to release. They might just stop doing that.
the_seventh_l

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
the_seventh_l wrote:
poonk wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
My worry list:
Junjou Romantica
Isn't Junjou published by Blu? ( Are they TokyoPop-affiliated?)
BLU is owned by Tokyopop.
Aah, I see. Just because a title wasn't mentioned doesn't necessarily mean it's canceled, though, so I won't panic yet (and they'd be complete fools not to continue Junjou, especially with a very popular anime currently airing). Although I suppose anything's possible (after all, I got cut off in the middle the Viewfinder, Kizuna, and Embracing Love series when BeBeautiful sort of dropped off the map). It seems like a really crappy thing to do to readers, but it is a business, ultimately.

I guess there's no chance that Tokyopop could eventually pick up the Kizuna license? It's certainly a money-maker. :O
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote
the_seventh_l wrote:
I guess there's no chance that Tokyopop could eventually pick up the Kizuna license? It's certainly a money-maker. :O
I'd love it if any company would pick up those BB titles, but in their case I think it's a legal issue (don't really understand, but I don't think it was their decision to stop publishing-- who would quit 3 successful series, after all?).

Anyway, I don't really follow the industry side of things too much, but I'm curious, is TokyoPop cutting back because sales are poor, or did they just stick their fingers into too many series to keep up (or both, since these factors are related)?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zeqasa Saitou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
The series' I am most worried about is "King of Thorn" and "Elemental Gelade". They only have three more volumes of Gelade to publish before its completed, and only two volumes of King of Thorn. I hope they do not trash those series!! Sad
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm worried about Kindaichi Case Files. The other series I read from them are most likely safe, or already completed.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I got the impression that the books were still coming out, nothing was canceled. It was more a matter of when, not if. They're releasing fewer books over a period of time, they haven't said they canceled any, have they?

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
WELCOME TO THE NHK?!

I thought I saw the last volume of that solicited for August or July.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
I got the impression that the books were still coming out, nothing was canceled. It was more a matter of when, not if. They're releasing fewer books over a period of time, they haven't said they canceled any, have they?

Nope, titles have been canceled.

From AnimeOnDvd.com's forums:
Quote:
I was waiting for permission on this, but thinking about it, I don't see how I need it.

Gosick, Missing, and the Chibi Vampire novels have all been canceled.
I'm now job hunting - anyone got any leads in the video game biz, PM me.

Chibi Vampire novel 5 is out in a week or two and is probably done; it is easily the best of them, so the series is going out on a high note.
Missing 3 was scheduled for September, so whether that will come out at all is anyone's guess.

This is from Andrew Cunningham, a freelance translator, so his word is normally true.

And this is what Peter Ahlstrom himself said in response:
Quote:
I thought the Chibi Vampire novels had a pretty good chance at being safe. I'm sorry to hear I was wrong.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Rebirth!?

Chronicles of the Cursed Sword!?

Ph.D: Phantasy Degree!?

Samurai Deeper Kyo!?
the_seventh_l

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Rebirth!?

Samurai Deeper Kyo!?

SDK sells too well for them to drop. Smile
maichips

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, now that I've been reassured about Loveless and SDK, my only worries revolve around the (now uncertain) release of Kyou Kara Maoh... Hmmm...
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
the_seventh_l wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:
Rebirth!?

Samurai Deeper Kyo!?

SDK sells too well for them to drop. Smile

Well yeah, SDK probably does, but I just felt like making an "EXTREME" list of titles I was worried about, that wasn't riddled with shoujo and yaoi crap that will undoubtedly be safe since that's what everyone is buying now.
maichips

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I just realized... Although it's rather considerate that we've been informed of potential cancellations, it could actually be worse for Tokyopop's business. It will definitely deter people from starting a newer series, because now, there's too much of a chance that said series will be cancelled.
fallenangelash

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Whatever happened to Gravitation??

Anyways, I really loved the Chibi Vampire Novels and Manga, and they fit so well together, why cancel it?

Gravitation, Loveless, Gakuen Alice, Welcome To The NHK and Chibi Vampire are the titles i am collecting at the moment.

Because i'm in Australia, we've already got the last volume of Fruits Basket from another publisher, but it's good to hear the TP version is still running for those who are collecting it.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
maichips wrote:
I just realized... Although it's rather considerate that we've been informed of potential cancellations, it could actually be worse for Tokyopop's business. It will definitely deter people from starting a newer series, because now, there's too much of a chance that said series will be cancelled.

That is true, which is why I think it may be in their best interest to announce what is canceled, so people can have faith to pick up the other series. This will kill sales for canceled titles, of course, but at this point it's time to cut your losses and try and make what money you can.
Altacia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl wrote:

Now I'm worrying a little bit more about the Trinity Blood novels because I have no idea how well they are selling....I want to be assured that they'll be fine! I love them so much because they are the original story that the manga and anime were based on and have so many more interesting details and make more sense and have a lot more meaty character development and a lot more intricacy in the relationships between characters. It truly vexes me to think that I could lose the chance to read all of the books in each series. Sad .

Yey, I'm not alone worrying about Trinity Blood.

Recently got all the Manga volumes that were out and waiting for my box of Novels, Would hate to think I just bought them to not get the ending... Sad

Perhaps, If they are dropped another company will pick them up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5