• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop to Keep Fruits Basket, Saiyuki, Tactics, Rave

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slickwataris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
the_seventh_l wrote:
So, no word on Futari Ecchi's safety? TP gave it the omnibus with a slip case treatment; you'd think it would make it safe D:

if that was a condom joke it was hilarious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Truthfully I figured Rave Master, Tactics and Fruits Baskets would get the axe though.

Why on earth would they cancel their best selling series?
the_seventh_l

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Truthfully I figured Rave Master, Tactics and Fruits Baskets would get the axe though.

That's what I thought. :/ They'd be crazy to axe Furuba for sure.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Who knows, you've seen how Tokyopop has changed. To be honest though, I don't care about any other series other than Chibi Vampire.
Tsuzuki Love

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I wonder if B't X is safe...

Bless you.

I hope it comes out, but currently I have no clue. Probably the only thing that will save it from the axe is the fact that there are only two volumes left. Let's cross our fingers.

Switching series... The fact that not one person has asked about Vampire Doll Guilt-na-Zan leads me to believe it will likely be canceled, which makes me sad because it is one of my favorite manga.

I'll also be very sad if Your and My Secret is canceled. Morinaga Ai-sensei is the best!
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:11 am Reply with quote
I hope they axe Initial D.....and someone that can bother to RESEARCH technical info picks it up.

It's embarrassing enough they can't keep characters straight with their cars.....but when they screw up car specs? That's sloppy and irresponsible.
Kotatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:51 am Reply with quote
Uwah~ so help me god they better finish Faeries' Landing. I don't care if they "Americanized" *coughbutcheredcough* it up no end and only release a new one every whenever-they-bloody-irregularly-feel-like-it; it is my fave and after 19 vols (just bought latest one today actually) I would die not to know the end, especially since no one would put it on the net due to its Koreaness... *cries* ........ but, in the back it did say 'Volume 20 Comning Soon' (whenever that is) so I have hope! Plus it's almost finished anyways (this arc is just about all wrapped up) so it would be silly to cancel... hmmn but this is TP we are talking about... *goes back to crying*

However, yay for Saiyuki (by this they mean Reload I presume)! Don't care about Furuba as I read the scanalations from 18 up 'cause no way did I have the patience to wait.. and have 21 - 23 on my shelf already purely for spoiler[KyouXTohru smut] ..go Australia.. haha we also get Ouran & Vampire Knight first =D

TP is one of the few publishers that I regularly collect. I will admit that I don't have many Viz (by which I mean shonen.. shojou excluded) titles, simply because most of their series are too long and mainly (non patience back again) can all be gotten up to the minute off the industry killing internets... but I will give them high kudos for solid production and much quicker & regular releases the others...
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
So, are they EVER going to say what happened with the Kino's Journey novels? because I would REALLY like to know what's going on with that.

Truth be told, I'm kind of glad all this is happening to TP. They've put out nothing but shite for the last year or two, with VERY few exceptions. And all but put most of their decent tiles on the back burner and thrown money in to all the wrong places. Maybe they will learn from this, turn around and start being a good publisher again. Although, if they cancel Beck, I'm never buying a single item from them again. Please, oh please, don't cancel Beck.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
So, are they EVER going to say what happened with the Kino's Journey novels? because I would REALLY like to know what's going on with that.

Truth be told, I'm kind of glad all this is happening to TP. They've put out nothing but shite for the last year or two, with VERY few exceptions. And all but put most of their decent tiles on the back burner and thrown money in to all the wrong places. Maybe they will learn from this, turn around and start being a good publisher again.

With Stu Levy still on the helm, I'm doubtful TP will ever recover or learn. This guy has pretty much angered and pissed off so many folks and done so much damage to Anime and manga i'm wondering why he's still on board. They need to limit his power abit and prevent him from diverting anymore resources. Or just outright fire him.

Wasn't it printed somewhere where this guy wanted to commit resources to a 3-D movie and try to push his "pet" project Princess Ai above all else?
ToraMinamino

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
spimmy wrote:
i am worrired for the full metal panic novels Sad

Agreed. I've been enjoying them so much, and I'd hate to see them canceled. After what happened with the Scrapped Princess novels, I was worried about whether or not Tokyopop would finish them to begin with, and now this whole thing happens...

Other than that, the only titles I'm worried about are Gakuen Alice and Peace Maker.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
I noticed this morning my pre-orders for Queen's Knight 13, Samurai Deeper Kyo 30, & Satisfaction Guaranteed 8 have been given the 12/12/12 treatment over at Right Stuf.

Their pre-order lot is thin as it is, but just randomly hitting titles I see White Night Melody 2, Vamopire Kisses 2, Short Sunzen 3, Scrapped Princess 4, Psy-Comm 3, & Missing Novel 3 also have been re-assigned 12/12/12 dates.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Missing was one of the first titles confirmed canceled, courtesy of Andrew Cunningham, the translator. The Scrapped Princess novels were canceled (though a TP rep claimed they never licensed past volume 3) last year so that has nothing to do with the current situation.

I fully expect Samurai Deeper Kyo to continue. It was one of their best sellers (I recall seeing numbers a year or two ago and it was moving multiple thousands of units per volume, maybe as much as 9 or 10k) and the translator has apparently not been told to stop working on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5