• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-06-13]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akukaze

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Satoshi Kon is, indeed, a God. It isn't just that his movies are good, but that every single time he brings something new to the table. Even Miyazaki sometimes gets bogged down in the fact that so many of his films are very similar, thematically. Here's to hoping that someone will wake up and his next movie will get the Oscar nomination it undoubtedly deserves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
scortia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:18 am Reply with quote
Ah, I love Pom Poko. It always gets me teary eyed at the end. But yes, Escaflowne is total brilliance.

I'll have to think up some of my own secrets. hmm.
saini85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
Your confessions are blasphemy answerman! You shall burn at the stake for such heresy. Well except for the Escaflowne comment, that remains as one of my favorites as well.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote
I'VE seen attention hungry trolls trying to argue that Miyazaki movies are bad. Some of them posed as "professionals" even. Sheesh.

Pom Poko does suck. I make it a point to lower my score for it every now and then on a whim. I think it might be time to do it again.

Disagreed on half of Cowboy Bebop being boring, even if Edward is pointless. Granted, not all of the episodes were equal, and I do think the series is overrated.

I liked ALL of FMA, but liked the second season better.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
Ah. Stories about "that guy" are so interesting to read. I have no stories myself. Thank God.

I personally love Princess Mononoke the most. It's terrific animation and great plot really compelled me. I like how everyone has clear motivations and no one is really truly evil. They just all happen to disagree with each other. It also doesn't hold back on the violence, which I think it important for a movie about a war.

While I don't see much Miyazaki/Ghibli hatred on the internet at all, but I must say that 99% of the dislike I've seen for them came from members of this site, and even that wasn't much.

I don't think Escaflowne is the best anime ever, but it's a pretty good show.

I liked all of FMA, but it really was the second half of the series that made it as great as it is.

I like all episodes of Cowboy Bebop on different levels. And Ed is my favorite character of the bunch. Blast you, Zac! *runs away*

I didn't like Pom Poko either. The only Ghibli movie I could not sit through. But I'm not going to call it crap since I didn't actually watch all of it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
To me Spirited Away cannot be beat by any other movie out there right now. I enjoy it for it's blend of cultures and cool little critters that it has, especially with Kaonashi. I also know that it's one of the few anime movies to make me tear up.
Awaken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
"I pretend I read Tenjho Tenge for the fight scenes, but nope, I'm readin' it for the fanservice. "

Feel no shame about admitting this for you are a healthy, normal, sane man and the art of Oh Great! is too much for one to bare.

Cool
the_ferret

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
I've actually seen people successfully (sad) troll Miyazaki with the "overrated" tag. Because as we all know, anything that's popular is "overrated".

I agree that some of the Bebop episodes are boring or kinda unremarkable, but this is coming from someone who's seen at least part of the series practically every time its aired and owns the DVDs. I don't remember if I felt that way initially.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
I read quite a bit of the Tenjho Tenge manga for the fanservice and the amazing artwork only Oh! Great can create but stopped reading after I realized it's just shounen for adults.

I can't say I agree with you on the characters from Cowboy Bebop, I thought each character brought their own unique personality aboard the Bebop, and I find Escaflowne to be overrated.

Also, the ∀ Gundam is the coolest mecha deign ever. Razz
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
1. Half of the episodes of Cowboy Bebop are pretty boring, and Ed is a really annoying and pointless character.
2. Fullmetal Alchemist is a great show but only in the second season.
6. I watched all of Onegai Twins and I liked it.

I agree 100% with all of these. I would've rated FMA a masterpiece if I wasn't for the first half of the series...

Also, while Miyazaki movies are unarguably good, I don't think I hold him in as high of regard as most people. I don't think he's a god. And frankly I find it really annoying when people put him in such high regard that you simply can't say anything bad about his movies, ever. And yes, I know people who say that. While I love Princess Mononoke, I didn't really find Spirited Away to be all it was cracked up to be (and I know I'm not alone thankfully, selenta's opinion is similar to mine).
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:57 am Reply with quote
HA ha I totally agree with that comment on escaflowne X3

I brought that two years ago and even though, I have seen a damn few more like Hellsing etc but I never got over it X3 It is still my favourite ...

Anyway I have a confestion myself ...

I think death note is the crudest thing since naruto ...

Oh I hate naruto X3

(Edit: I also want to add this in)

Ghost in the shell is one of the most stupid and over-rated movies ever. The end. Full stop. Period.

Seriously it was the first anime movie (after akira which was top notch) i ever saw. Myself and my mother watched it and after we finished we turned to each other and said the same thing, "what the hell was that?". Then i scratched the disc with some keys.

Also I tried to watch it again ... blockbuster never got their disc back.

Also ...
I think Spriggan is the most awesome movie X3

Last edited by Fallen Wings on Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total
bleuster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quote
"That guy" is easily misunderstood. He's actually pretty awesome once you get to know him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
I've never really thought about it since I don't find her to be that annoying, but you're right; Ed really doesn't contribute much of anything to Bebop except cheap comic relief. I kinda got choked up when she left the Bebop, but if the best thing a character ever did for a series was leave, that's not really a good sign. If she wasn't around, maybe the writers would've been forced to develop the interactions between the other three more.

Maybe I need to watch it again and see how I react now, but based on my memories, I still think Bebop is wall-to-wall excellence...with only a few threadbare patches.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
Zac:
Quote:
I personally believe Mamoru Oshii to be tremendously overrated as a filmmaker. He has a singular inability to make a film without pouring hot, rich pretension all over everything he does. There is no reason at all Ghost in the Shell: Innocence was more or less 2 hours of Batou and Togusa wandering around quoting scripture against pretty backgrounds with 5 minute action sequence near the end that actually features the franchise's main character.

He needs to quote obscure Kabbalah references like Anno. Rolling Eyes Also, everyone knew that this was Bateau's movie for a while, so I'm wondering why you're so disappointed that Kusanagi only has a small part. It fits in with the manga.

Quote:
To top it off, he fills the movie with self-indulgent references to his basset hound.

You could always look at it as part of his exploration of the differences between living and semi-living things...

Quote:
Frankly I was never a huge fan of the first one, and Angel's Egg - while it's an interesting experiment - is yet another example of "boring pretension masquerading as art".

He should make it easy to understand like Eragon...

Quote:
I might be drooling with anticipation over the next David Fincher film (well, okay, that's going a little far)

So I take it that Benjamin Button teaser didn't do it for ya. Wink

Quote:
Besides, I wouldn't want to sit through whatever an anime version of the Metal Gear Solid 2 ending would be like.

It's called Spriggan.

Quote:
I stand by my concept that Castlevania would make a great anime series that could probably run forever. I don't know why they haven't done this yet; it seems like a no-brainer.

They have, and it's called Vampire Hunter D. Laughing
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
Gay Axel made me laugh. It's a yaoi fangirl packed in a guy.

Jeff Jeffington's ability to be socialized was a good story.

The confessions remind me I need to watch Escaflowne.

My secrets are:

I've never watched Dragonball, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, or Evangelion, nor do I have any desire to.

I actually like Naruto (just not the Narutards).

I like Avatar the Last Airbender better than a lot of anime. :X (but again, like with Naruto, I think the Kataangers vs. Zutarans are ridiculous)

Last edited by kyokun703 on Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:37 am; edited 2 times in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10