• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Simply Cel-ular

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why would Osamu Tezuka object to the use of fanservice or sexual themes in anime?

Author of Fuusuke?

Sex was present in anime since it was born, the only matter was a change of standards- in 70s Cutey Honey was running around in "granny's pants", now average ecchi is more promiscuous than older hentais, but it's a constant process and not only a matter of anime, but rather overall change of publicity mind.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
Author of Fuusuke?

Let's not forget about Marvelous Melmo among others, along with the Animerama projects and so on.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Sure enough, because people actually shoved out the cash to buy that costly Garden of Sinners set and it looks like similarly people are doing the same thing with that costly Madoka set [..] If people really want to see a change they should start by not buying into those prices, so Aniplex might get the message that a lot of fans don't want to spend damn near $80 for 2-3 episodes and useless extras (or at least useless from this fan's perspective).

Garden of Sinners was the Japanese release with a booklet translation, so the TRSI price was perfectly understandable (and quite a bit better than even the Amazon price). If that had been a US-licensed/produced product, then I'd have been shocked at the price. Baccano! got a significantly cheaper US Blu-ray release a few months after Japan (with the same bilingual discs, but lesser packaging), but that wasn't a new title and had to "compete" with Funimation's heavily discounted DVD Viridian release.

Madoka is costly? 12 episodes for $90, or $120 for Blu-ray? That's a hell of a lot less than I just paid for it (70-75% less, probably), and it'll have subtitles and a dub.

Which series is being released at about $80 for only 2-3 episodes, with useless extras?
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
Can you read Japanese? Neither can I. But I can read numbers. The following link is the Amazon.com page for Garden of Sinners.
Notice the price: ¥ 76,500
That is $993.66

Whoah. Then did the $400 US release get reverse imported? That's a big enough price difference to motivate that sort of consumer behavior. If so, I'd say it was a failure as a North American release.

Ingraman wrote:
Madoka is costly? 12 episodes for $90, or $120 for Blu-ray?

More like $120 and $285 MSRP. Where are you getting your prices?

I myself passed on Garden of Sinners and am likely to pass on Madoka now. If Fate/Zero follows this trend I'll have to pass on it as well. Hopefully budget versions will be available in five or ten years. I'm sure there'll be other anime to watch in the meantime. The amount of money I save can go towards that Xbox 360 and PS3 I've been holding out on.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:

Madoka is costly? 12 episodes for $90, or $120 for Blu-ray? That's a hell of a lot less than I just paid for it (70-75% less, probably), and it'll have subtitles and a dub.

Which series is being released at about $80 for only 2-3 episodes, with useless extras?

my bad, the last time I perused right stuf the only preorder link I saw for Madoka was the ~$75 1st volume with episodes 1-4 and bunch of extras that seemed rather useless to me, but it looks like they also have a more barebones preorder that's considerably cheaper. I do have to question releasing it by volumes though. No one does that anymore. And with a series as short as Madoka I don't see a reason why they aren't just releasing a complete set, or at the very least a half box set.
Anymouse wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
EireformContinent wrote:
Quote:
t is funny that people say they like Japan, but then refuses to pay Japanese prices.

I assume if they had Japanese incomes they would gladly pay Japanese prices.

or further, if we were working on Japan economic system...I mean seriously do people hear themselves when they say stupid things like that? Because I like to watch Japan's animation, I should have to pay their insane prices? Yeah, sorry maybe if I lived in Japan, but I don't.
From everything I have heard, the cost of living is far lower here and the GDP is still higher. That implies high prices should be easier for an American fan to afford than a Japanese one.

ease does not equal willingness. In other words just because the American buyer could better afford Japan's prices, does not mean the American buyer will pay Japan's prices. At the end of the day that's all that matters.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:

He's referring to the limited edition versions which should be similar to the Japanese version in terms of extras. MSRP is $95 and rightstuf's sale price is $75 per 4 ep volume. So that's $225 total. Still cheaper than the Japanese BDs but of course much more expensive than any other US license. Even the regular editions are 2x to 3x the cost of US bluray box sets.

kakoishii wrote:
ease does not equal willingness. In other words just because the American buyer could better afford Japan's prices, does not mean the American buyer will pay Japan's prices. At the end of the day that's all that matters.

So what you're saying is that we're cheap bastards Very Happy
still, one important consideration is the actual title or item involved. Not everything is worth the same to everyone. Aniplex is making calculated bets. Kara no Kyoukai sold out. Madoka will too. I bet they'll take the same approach for Fate/Zero, unless Funi decides to jump in with a sweet offer (like say a really huge advance)

But notice they did not take the same approach with Blue Exorcist and Oriemo (although unfortunately DVD only). And Star Driver released by Bandai is the complete opposite: $38 BD street price for half-set. Likewise another Aniplex production, A-Channel is left to Sentai/S23.
Mirri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I have to say something on the Madoka issue. I don't understand why there's this entitled attitude when it comes to limited editions on the cheap. This is a combo pack for a popular title, and you're only paying $5 more than you would be paying per volume were you to buy the normal edition DVD and Blu-Ray together. If you want Madoka, and you don't want to spend $225 on it, then buy the regular editions- it's still expensive but it's really a bearable price.

I imported it, well, because I thought that Madoka would never be licensed in a million years. Unfortunately when my collection was half complete, they announced the license- but I wasn't about to stop halfway, so I just placed my order for Vol6 on Amazon.co.jp and forced a smile. I'll place my pre-orders on Madoka US release when I have the cash, but my wallet's hurting after I ordered 3 1/1 Soft Vinyl Kyubeys + 3 Nendoroid Madoka School Uniform ver, and the charges are going through this month (I feel shameful for admitting that I did that with the intention of reselling, but I gotta support my hobby somehow!) X_X

Geneon may have gone out of business on the $30 single model, but that was because the majority of their titles... weren't worth $28 per disc, and they spread their series over more discs than the other companies of that era. In my opinion, Madoka is worth $30 per 4-episode disc. That's why I paid $60 per disc for 2 episodes per disc, times six, plus international shipping for each one (I didn't make the order wait until all items were available).

I guess the long and short of it would be:
Buy what you can afford- the $30 Madoka release is not exactly the cheapest thing around, but we paid $30 for singles 5 years ago. The price that people should be complaining about is -NOT- the $75 per volume edition, because that's the limited edition. You are not entitled to the limited edition extras at a standard edition price.

(I can't wait for someone to bring up the, "It was 5 years ago." argument- are things REALLY so financially strained for you as opposed to 5 years ago? It's a "premium title" in the eyes of the publishers, it'll demand that price.)

I'm not everyone, and I am well aware I have a bit of disposable income. I also choose to spend it this way, instead of regularly buying, well, almost anything. I spend money on anime instead of clothing, going out, or even BUYING RAZORS TO SHAVE WITH.

You now have permission to call me a crazy neck-beard nerd, even though I don't have a neck beard, just because I said that I would rather spend money on anime than shaving tools.

edit: I just realized how disorganized my thoughts are in this post, please bear with it because I have no idea how to rewrite it and be totally organized without taking like 15 minutes, and I'm lazy. It hops around a little bit but I think it's readable.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:28 am Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
Madoka is costly? 12 episodes for $90, or $120 for Blu-ray?

More like $120 and $285 MSRP. Where are you getting your prices?

The complaint was about the LE with the "useless extras", so I was giving the prices of the two releases without extras which were announced at the same time ($90 for DVD and $120 for BD with TRSI prices. Is Aniplex selling through anyone else?). Yeah, I left out the format for the former...

Quote:
I myself passed on Garden of Sinners and am likely to pass on Madoka now. If Fate/Zero follows this trend I'll have to pass on it as well.

I bought the Garden of Sinners BD box without having seen even a second of the movie series. Madoka is a series that I watched fansubbed, and I imported the six LE BDs. I'm now trying to decide how important the translated paperwork with the US Madoka LEs is for me, since I've got the CDs already; I may just buy the regular editions.

I've got Fate/Zero on order with Amazon right now. I jumped on it when the discount went to 31%, since Amazon often maxes out pre-order discounts at 26-27%, but I haven't decided if I'll keep the order. If it gets a cheaper US import-release, I'd definitely move my order if I enjoy the second half of this first cour.

Quote:
Hopefully budget versions will be available in five or ten years.

Didn't Aniplex say something about a cheaper Garden of Sinners (format unknown?) at one of the conventions this year? IIRC, no date or price was mentioned, but just that something was in the works...

Quote:
I'm sure there'll be other anime to watch in the meantime. The amount of money I save can go towards that Xbox 360 and PS3 I've been holding out on.

Buy the PS3, and spend the XBox money on Madoka Blu-rays. ^_^
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:07 am Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
No hope for Fate/Zero fans that don't wanna cough up hundreds of dollars to own the series. Sigh, I hate the hardcore collectors whom are buying into the insane prices.

You are essentially biting the hand that feeds. If it weren't for those hardcore, then there would be no anime. No money to be made, no initiative to make.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:08 am Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
I guess the long and short of it would be:
Buy what you can afford- the $30 Madoka release is not exactly the cheapest thing around, but we paid $30 for singles 5 years ago. The price that people should be complaining about is -NOT- the $75 per volume edition, because that's the limited edition. You are not entitled to the limited edition extras at a standard edition price.

(I can't wait for someone to bring up the, "It was 5 years ago." argument- are things REALLY so financially strained for you as opposed to 5 years ago? It's a "premium title" in the eyes of the publishers, it'll demand that price.)

I agree on buying what you can afford but rightstuf's price is actually $40 for the regular edition btw, which is about twice the cost of singles previously. The entire industry shifted to box sets and half season sets precisely because most people weren't buying the singles. In fact during the era of singles, Funimation wouldn't be regularly releasing their lower priced viridian box sets for any of their titles if people were actually buying them. (And Media Blasters cancelled their Kanokon and Queen's Blade singles for box sets)

Quote:
I'm not everyone, and I am well aware I have a bit of disposable income. I also choose to spend it this way, instead of regularly buying, well, almost anything. I spend money on anime instead of clothing, going out, or even BUYING RAZORS TO SHAVE WITH.

I understand what you're saying in fact, I also spend most of my money on anime. I don't even watch any regular TV or movies, just anime (news I get online and from the radio while driving).

But if everyone followed this strategy for everything, essentially regressing on the pricing, the US industry would collapse. As I mentioned, NOT even Aniplex is doing this for most of their titles, and they produce a lot. They are making calculated bets with just a tiny fraction of their titles, predicting that there will be enough fans who will buy it at a certain price e.g. 1000 people buying at $400 > 2000 people buying at $100. They themselves know they can't use this approach as a general rule, hence the opposite/low US priced box-set strategy with Blue Exorcist, Oreimo, Star Driver, A-Channel etc.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:23 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

I agree on buying what you can afford but rightstuf's price is actually $40 for the regular edition btw, which is about twice the cost of singles previously.

I'm assuming they meant the DVDs, which Rightstuf does have priced at $30 per, which was a pretty standard MSRP for anime DVDs 5 years back.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:31 am Reply with quote
So out of curiosity, besides Sazae-san (and other decades long series), what were some of the other last few shows/movies to use cells?
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
configspace wrote:

I agree on buying what you can afford but rightstuf's price is actually $40 for the regular edition btw, which is about twice the cost of singles previously.

I'm assuming they meant the DVDs, which Rightstuf does have priced at $30 per, which was a pretty standard MSRP for anime DVDs 5 years back.

Well the aforementioned $30 was in response to the cited $75 LE BDs. Anyways, comparing MSRPs (instead of street price vs msrp) the Madoka DVDs are $40.
Mirri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:14 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
configspace wrote:

Well the aforementioned $30 was in response to the cited $75 LE BDs. Anyways, comparing MSRPs (instead of street price vs msrp) the Madoka DVDs are $40.

Considering Rightstuf is the sole sales distributor of Madoka (for now), the MSRP may as well be $30 for the DVDs. It's not the limited edition Blu-Rays, the L.E. box includes both the DVD and the Blu-Ray. It's only $10 more than buying the DVD set and the Blu-Ray set at the MSRP (at which Madoka is not available, because, the only place to get it is Rightstuf... for the "street price") and $5 more at the "street price".
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:57 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Kirkdawg wrote:
No hope for Fate/Zero fans that don't wanna cough up hundreds of dollars to own the series. Sigh, I hate the hardcore collectors whom are buying into the insane prices.

You are essentially biting the hand that feeds. If it weren't for those hardcore, then there would be no anime. No money to be made, no initiative to make.
Quite. When looking at the difference between (eg) an expected 1,000 sold at $400, 1,500 at $100 and 2,000 at $60, the inelastic demand is not the "fault" of the hard core buyers that they are willing to pay $400 ... its due to the expected absence of enough fringe buyers to generate volume that more than makes up for the lower price.

Indeed, if there is a lower priced boxset released in some format, it will be the fact that there were enough hard core buyers/collectors for the premium limited release to sell out that would be largely responsible for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4