• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jump Sq. Manga Reports on Dragonball Film's Production

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
testorschoice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:19 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:
So it was a financial success, a popular success, and a decent critical success, but it failed...because Gatsu said so.

A critical success would imply that it had a huge chunk of support, rather than just a majority. And films which are financially successful aren't necessarily popular as much as successful at attracting people. How many people still like Titanic, after all?

I'm in awe of this tortured logic: "It's not popular--it's just successful at attracting people." Wink You don't like it. Fine. Just accept that most viewers disagree with you. Smile

Quote:
Quote:
Please specify what element of the movie is "IQ-lowering" but somehow the cartoon was not equally "IQ-lowering." We can even ignore this cartoon episode if you like

I dunno, the idiot hacker; the robots peeing; the over-sized ore which didn't actually do anything. Take your pick.

You're saying there weren't incredulous hackers, robots exuding bodily fluids in human-like manners, and bizarre plot-device elements in the cartoon? Wink

Quote:
Quote:
The nice thing is, Dragonball doesn't need more than that to be considered a finanicial success because it isn't operating on a huge budget like other Hollywood action movies.

A lack of stars does not necessarily mean a small budget. Look at Fantastic Four.

In this case, it is more akin to Serenity in budget than Fantastic Four.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:54 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I dunno, the idiot hacker; the robots peeing; the over-sized ore which didn't actually do anything. Take your pick.

You forgot Mountain Dew Bot, Nokia Bot, and a woman that can't tell the difference in Engines!! Cause my favorite Autobots back then was Tab Bot and Motorola DynaTAC Bot and the girls back then knew their carburetors from the manifold.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:08 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
You forgot Mountain Dew Bot, Nokia Bot, and a woman that can't tell the difference in Engines!! Cause my favorite Autobots back then was Tab Bot and Motorola DynaTAC Bot and the girls back then knew their carburetors from the manifold.

And for every example of those, there are equally incredulous examples in the cartoon. Smile It's something we have to deal with, without rose-tinted nostalgia.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:27 am Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
I'm in awe of this tortured logic: "It's not popular--it's just successful at attracting people."

Yep. See E.T.

Quote:
You're saying there weren't incredulous hackers, robots exuding bodily fluids in human-like manners, and bizarre plot-device elements in the cartoon?

I'm guessing mainly in the crappy sequels.

Quote:

That's not really a good analogy, since Serenity bombed in spite of a low budget.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:39 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:
I'm in awe of this tortured logic: "It's not popular--it's just successful at attracting people."

Yep. See E.T.

So...according to you, not only is Titanic an unpopular failure, but E.T., too? Smile

Quote:
Quote:
You're saying there weren't incredulous hackers, robots exuding bodily fluids in human-like manners, and bizarre plot-device elements in the cartoon?

I'm guessing mainly in the crappy sequels.

No. I'm guessing you're admitting that you haven't seen the first cartoon lately. Wink

Quote:
Quote:

That's not really a good analogy, since Serenity bombed in spite of a low budget.

Please read my quote. I'm referring to Serenity's budget, not its eventual box office record.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:07 am Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
So...according to you, not only is Titanic an unpopular failure, but E.T., too?

Yes, because the films which are well-received tend to be the ones people talk about a lot, not the ones which just get a lot of media exposure.

Quote:
No. I'm guessing you're admitting that you haven't seen the first cartoon lately.

Nope. I'm sure it doesn't live up to my childhood memories, but I'm not going to consider it as stupifying as Bay's film.

Quote:
Please read my quote. I'm referring to Serenity's budget, not its eventual box office record.

Your argument was that since DB might have a small budget akin to Serenity, it should be profitable. But then you choose to ignore the latter film's lack of profitability. See what happens when the tables are turned? Wink
testorschoice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:22 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:
So...according to you, not only is Titanic an unpopular failure, but E.T., too?

Yes, because the films which are well-received tend to be the ones people talk about a lot, not the ones which just get a lot of media exposure.

Or...films that get both good word-of-mouth and media exposure. No false choice here. Newsflash: Titanic and E.T. are popular successes. Smile

Quote:
Quote:
No. I'm guessing you're admitting that you haven't seen the first cartoon lately.

Nope. I'm sure it doesn't live up to my childhood memories, but I'm not going to consider it as stupifying as Bay's film.

Since you admit your memory is faulty, we won't worry too much about your considerations based on them. Smile

Quote:
Quote:

Your argument was that since DB might have a small budget akin to Serenity, it should be profitable. But then you choose to ignore the latter film's lack of profitability. See what happens when the tables are turned? Wink

I was trying to point out that you were shifting goalposts. Smile First you say that it's only popular in Asia. Then I point out it's a strong market. Then you shift goalposts by trying to compare its budget to Fantastic Four's budget. That's a separate, easily refuted issue from the Asian market.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:19 am Reply with quote
-_-; you guys are a real piece of work.

This has gone further of topic than it needs to be.

Ya mind?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
Speed Racer was actually an excellent movie.

No, it wasn't, but even if you were right, it shouldn't have to be something you have to be familiar with the anime to enjoy.

opinions are opinions, just because you post a link of someone that raves that the movie "sucks" doesn't mean you're right.

So would you quit trying to prove other people wrong just because they like it and you don't? It's getting more than just annoying.

._. wtf, really.

Either way... I find it rather funny of the assumption that Fox is attempting to KILL DB franchise. The easier thing is not to invest millions of dollars into the movie. It's not going to die because of one friggin movie.

x_x I need some Zac in this thread. He always cheers me up when I'm down.

*rolls away before she goes further off topic.*

EDIT -

I found something...if it hasn't been posted already.
Clickie.

Hopefully Fox isn't trying to end Dragon Ball popularity with the movie, but that wouldn't make much sense.

That would be like replacing House (Hugh Grant) with Geogre Lopez. Whlie that would be midly entertaining, that would drive some of the fans away.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:

Or...films that get both good word-of-mouth and media exposure. No false choice here. Newsflash: Titanic and E.T. are popular successes.

No, they're just successes. There's a difference.

Quote:
Since you admit your memory is faulty, we won't worry too much about your considerations based on them.

I didn't say my memory was faulty. I said that it's been a while since I last saw it, and thus I probably can't remember the details. I do remember enough from my childhood to count, though.

Quote:
First you say that it's only popular in Asia. Then I point out it's a strong market. Then you shift goalposts by trying to compare its budget to Fantastic Four's budget. That's a separate, easily refuted issue from the Asian market.

I said it's only popular in Asia, but that it doesn't make it enough of a strong market to be considered a big hit. And I added that the budget would have to be significant for it to make money across the board, since no one is going to see a DB movie which looks like Jumper.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Hopefully Fox isn't trying to end Dragon Ball popularity with the movie, but that wouldn't make much sense.

That would be like replacing House (Hugh Grant) with Geogre Lopez. Whlie that would be midly entertaining, that would drive some of the fans away.

Like I said, it's a little ridiculous to assume that, and I doubt that it would drive fans away. Worst case scenario, they'll do the same thing that they're doing now. Whining away at the movie on a blog or to friends, or do some type of boycott or something.

Don't know, don't care. Movie is still being made.

And it'll be old news months or years after it's in theaters. the hype will likely last the same week as it plays in the box office.

I think DB will be a success in the BO whether people like/love/hate the idea. Curiousity can work wonders. Others will obtain a bootleg. Either way, it WILL be watched.

But this is on personal opinion, nothing more.

On a side note, I actually like Goku's hair. <3 I think the angle of the picture works better.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:

Newsflash: Titanic and E.T. are popular successes.

No, they're just successes. There's a difference.

I didn't say my memory was faulty. I said that it's been a while since I last saw (the Transformers cartoon), and thus I probably can't remember the details. I do remember enough from my childhood to count, though.

I said (Dragonball's) only popular in Asia, but that it doesn't make it enough of a strong market to be considered a big hit. And I added that the budget would have to be significant for it to make money across the board, since no one is going to see a DB movie which looks like Jumper.

Replies to Gatsu's meandering arguments can be summed up in two words: Proof please. Smile
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:

Replies to Gatsu's meandering arguments can be summed up in two words: Proof please. Smile

...... o_o doesn't it vary, really?

xD You two have been kind of indirectly trying to outdo each other, It's kind of funny.

Side note, I didn't like jumper. actually, can't say that either, it just never attracted me to actually go buy a ticket to see it or rent it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Latest teaser sheet I got off DH. Strangely enough, they didn't report anything new in the latest U.S. Jump. I wonder why. Wink

Rolling Eyes
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Hey Gatsu, the endless torrent of hatred and twisted logic to support your bizarro-world opinions that flood every thread about anything remotely related to Hollywood is getting really tired, give it a rest for a while. Yeesh. Like half the posts in this thread are you complaining.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4