• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Buried by Manga Discovered Dead After Quake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sykoeent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
This will eventually happen to me. My collection is huge and growing AND I live in California! Like that man, I too, shall die with my boots on! heheheheheheheh
Very Happy
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote
I honestly don't see this thread ending well with all this crass amusement going on. I still think the death was a tragedy, silly or not.
sakurawei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
it was probably caused by suffacation considering that he had a lot of books
Emichan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote
Yep, sad to say, this is probably how I'll go. I am in the SF Bay Area, and I have 5 bookcases full of manga, It's only a matter of time...

Though I remember in the 1989 Quake, none of our bookshelves fell over and I think the most damage at my house was 2 dishes in the china cabinet breaking. (we were lucky). At least my manga isn't stacked in piles like that, it's wedged in my bookcases rather tightly.
Batman3777

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I'm a bit afraid since San Francisco is also earthquake prone and .....
My ceiling is about 12 feet high and many of my 6-7' high shelves have stuff stacked on top of them.

I seriously hope you at least have the bookcases bolted to the walls. I believe this is recommended for earthquake-prone areas. If you are a renter, talk to the landlord about allowing this for reasons of safety.

They also have velcro straps that can be used to secure furniture to the walls in case of earthquakes, and they don't require any drilling or anything. Renter-friendly and moveable/replaceable.

My condolences to this man's family, friends and coworkers.

Hopefully he's happy in a massive manga library in the sky.
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I honestly don't see this thread ending well with all this crass amusement going on. I still think the death was a tragedy, silly or not.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but life itself is crass. I'm not trying to be "edgy" here, I'm just recognizing that this is a one-off event that has no obvious "fix" of any sort. Who among us isn't expecting to die at some point? Calling this a tragedy cheapens the term and ignores the fact that we'll all be in this guy's shoes some day. We might as well have a laugh about it while we still can. There are plenty of deaths I'll get up in arms about any day of the week, but this? No I don't think I'll be freaking out over this man. He apparently lived his life the way he wanted and he died. That's the best any of us can possibly hope for. If and when you can show some sort of foul play or truly unusual suffering then I'll be happy to acknowledge this as a tragedy, but until then I'd rather just have a bit of fun over someone who will be none the wiser. Feel free to mock my own death if by chance it's unique enough to warrant it's own article in the news.
nosferatuwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Manga kills.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Daxomni. Natural disasters happen, and in this particular one, ten are already confirmed dead. Three died in a hot spring when a landslide buried them. This one was posted on this site because it related to manga. I don't think we're necessarily mocking the death, but saying that if we had to die before our time, this wouldn't necessarily be a bad way to go. My condolences go out to all of the families, and I might even head up there soon to help with rebuilding/repairs (it's only 3 hours away from where I live). That being said, I don't think I'm the only one who sees the lightheartedness in this.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
It probably was very painful, frightening and lonely. I wouldn't want to die that way.

My condolences to the family.
kona-chan13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote
i just fasened my shelfs to the wall and put thick glass doors on them so i think im safe from any thing like that........ tho i think i like to go that way
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Scary... I could be one of those people buried in stacks of manga and DVDs and VCDs...
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I'm a bit afraid since San Francisco is also earthquake prone and three of my four walls look like this, this, and this

My ceiling is about 12 feet high and many of my 6-7' high shelves have stuff stacked on top of them. To make matters worse most of my books on my shelves are hardcovers with my paperbacks sitting in storage in the garage.
Randall I grew up in San Francisco as a kid and was actaully in the BIG Loma Prieta quake of 1989. For years all the "anti-California propoganda" intimidated me until I went there on vaction last summer this time my feelings changed and now I actaully would love to live near Oakland.

Speaking of this man's death, that kind of thing happens in Japan since space is so hard to come by. There is good news though, because the rate of earthqauke(jishin) death tolls in Japan have actually declined during the past decade with quakes killing about less then a dozen in the recent years, in a earthquake prone country is good to hear only a few people dying rather then the China quake which has killed thousands.

There have been a total of five earthqaukes reported in Japan this past decade one in 2001,2004,2006, 2007,2008. the so far deadiest being the 2004 Saturday morning quake that killed about 20 people now compare that to the "Kobe quake of 1995" the last deadly earthqauke in Japan that killed over 600.

Just my two cents.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
In a few years that will be my collection.

Mine too as I go back over there, but I think I'll be taking the necessary means not to have my collection like that.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
In all sincerity I will add that this is indeed a tragedy. The last big quake here in October 1989 was around the same magnitude (I think a little under 7) and it was one of the scariest moments that I have experienced. Shelves didn't really help me then either as almost every book that wasn't on the bottom shelf ended up flying to the floor. Rather then risk crossing the path of a falling shelf to duck under a desk or door frame I decided to stay in bed (I was sleeping at 5PM for some reason I can't remember). I seriously think about this occasionally.
It occured on Tuesday October 17,1989 at 5:04 PM CST at a magnatude 6.9 I remember it fondly because I was six years old and my mother was at Safeway when it happened. I can remember my dad telling me to stand still and not to move and was holding my infant brother when the entire house started shaking and moving for about 5 seconds. When my mother returned, she said that Safeway had suffered damage and that people had actaully reacted differently when the quake hit, some people like her got down and covered thier heads while other panicked fled and drove down the hill. When we finally turned on the TV, we saw news coverage of "Cypress Freeway" which was completely destroyed and "Oakland Bay Bridge" where most of the people died.
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
*raises hand solemnly*

This too will be me if the "Big One" scientist are predicting for Utah ever actually hits.

Personally, if I gotta go this is probably the best way to do...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4