• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's wrong with Mediablasters [dubs]?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:41 am Reply with quote
midnighteve wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
Ah yes, that's very true sometimes. I experienced that with Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicle I liked it when I watched the subs and the story was interesting but with the slow pacing I just found it too much of a chore and dropped it after about 10-15 episodes. I picked up the whole first season on a whim and was surprised how much better the series was dubbed and how well it flowed.

Hmmm, you're getting me interested in picking that series up. I really loved the manga, but I couldn't get into the anime for the same reason you stated. Maybe I'll look into that...

It also fixed another problem for me as I didn't like some of the Japanese VAs in that one too so an alternate choice of cast was welcome.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:48 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
MB has offered low cost dub releases before, with mixed results. Noein was ok, but they also gave us Green Green.
Noein was released by Manga Entertainment, not Media-Blasters. With Green Green though, I really suspect the backlash over that dub was the part of the reason why they started going sub-only on titles outside the shounen-ai / shoujo-ai niches. My theory goes, they decided they'd be better off skipping dubs entirely instead of adding cheap terrible dubs that nobody wanted to listen to.

Absolutely quoted for truth. I have no problem with dubs, so long as everyone's love affair: Johnny Yong freaking Bosch is cast as every character except for what Crispin Freemand Tiffany Grant get. But when dubs have the same voice acting talent as hentai, then it's absolutely right to completely forget the dub and focus on everything instead.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
With Green Green though, I really suspect the backlash over that dub was the part of the reason why they started going sub-only on titles outside the shounen-ai / shoujo-ai niches. My theory goes, they decided they'd be better off skipping dubs entirely instead of adding cheap terrible dubs that nobody wanted to listen to.

This makes perfect sense for Simoun despite it's sales being higher than most of Media Blasters dub only. I originally was wondering about why they didn't decide to dub it, but considering the large all women ensemble it would be a tricky project to handle. The range in the Japanese track is amazing, and it would be a tough act to follow. There also seems to be far more Japanese female voice actors who play adult male roles compared to female voice actors in the States. I got so wrapped around costs and sales figures that I overlooked the logistics in making a dub as well.
Ambrogino

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:37 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

I still don't see how people are arguing against some of these DVDs lacking a dub. Although I don't listen to the English track I agree that it is stupid that Ghost in the Shell Innocence and Millennium Actress don't have a dub since it would only cost a dollar or so more per DVD made.

The UK releases of both these titles have a dub, so I'd imagine it's more a complicated liscensing issue than just cost that's meaning there isn't one in the US.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
They're released here in the US by a company called Dreamworks which usually doesn't dub it's foreign films as policy citing that they're catering to the art theater going crowd. (Yeah, tell me another one. I'd believe them if GITS2 actually looked like a quality product, however, the packaging is cheap, the extras are practically nonexistant, and the first printed release had a massive recall because they screwed up the subtitle track. Rolling Eyes )
Master Luc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Has the Guardian of Spirit already been dubbed? Or MB is going to use the ones of BangZoom?
_Emi_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
the first printed release had a massive recall because they screwed up the subtitle track. Rolling Eyes )

I don't think they recalled the DVDs, although their was an exchange program. Pain in the ass, as the only way to tell if you got the corrected version was to look for the version number on the DVD case, which you couldn't do if you're buying on-line. That means brick and mortar stores which might or might not carry Innocence and which might or might not carry the corrected version. But the most Rolling Eyes of all was that the theatrical release had the non-close captioned subtitles which for some reason they didn't feel should be put on the DVD release from the beginning. Thank God Bandai got the movie from Dreamworks.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
With Green Green though, I really suspect the backlash over that dub was the part of the reason why they started going sub-only on titles outside the shounen-ai / shoujo-ai niches. My theory goes, they decided they'd be better off skipping dubs entirely instead of adding cheap terrible dubs that nobody wanted to listen to.

This makes perfect sense for Simoun despite it's sales being higher than most of Media Blasters dub only. I originally was wondering about why they didn't decide to dub it, but considering the large all women ensemble it would be a tricky project to handle. The range in the Japanese track is amazing, and it would be a tough act to follow. There also seems to be far more Japanese female voice actors who play adult male roles compared to female voice actors in the States. I got so wrapped around costs and sales figures that I overlooked the logistics in making a dub as well.
It's probably still more connected to cost. I'm sure Green Green could've been given a good dub had it gotten the Girls Bravo / Magikano liberal re-write treatment. It might have made the series almost tolerable. The thought process I had in mind was, "Well, we don't have enough for a Bang Zoom dub, and we only have enough for an Arvintel dub...maybe we should just go sub-only on this one."
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:32 am Reply with quote
The one title I have from Mediablasters is Loveless and it is a sub only release. It does not at all bother me as I like to watch media in its original language but I can understand that it may be something of a bother to many viewers. At any rate, niche titles will always be less likely to have a dubbed release. And if you don't happen to be an English speaking person the situation gets considerably worse. There are a handful of titles that have a dubbed version in my maternal language out of which more than half are ghibli movies. Then again, Portugal does not exactly have an anime market, there is no national licensing company and the titles that do get a national release come from selecta vision, which is a Spanish company with a not too vast catalogue.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:47 am Reply with quote
I'm not terribly surprised that a company might forgo dubs on "niche" titles (read: shounen-ai, but it could apply to shoujo-ai too). These titles appeal to a very targeted audience which frequently (in my experience) has already seen the fansubs and prefers the original seiyuu (for example, a lot of Japanese male seiyuu do BL drama CDs on the side and have their own individual fan-followings). On a personal level, I'm fine with sub-only, as I prefer the subs, and if it makes it cheaper, all the better (I'm pretty sure my DVDs of Sukisho, which I remember costing much less than an average anime DVD, are sub-only; I'm not sure though, because I've never actually watched the official, licensed DVDs, funnily enough). Not to mention-- I think if I heard any of the American voice actors (with whom we're all familiar) in a shounen-ai role, I'm not sure it would have the same emotional impact for me-- I wonder why that is. Maybe it would seem too strange to hear it out loud in English? I don't know...

Well anyway, as to other more main-stream titles-- perhaps it's more a matter of rushing to get the product available over here ("strike while the iron's hot," so to speak) before interested parties get impatient and start downloading fansubs? (just speculation)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Master Luc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Don't you think Futari Echi should be dubbed in english???
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Master Luc wrote:
Has the Guardian of Spirit already been dubbed? Or MB is going to use the ones of BangZoom?

I would guess it has already been dubbed. Geneon apparently commissioned it and also had a slot for [adult swim]. Media Blasters is basically following through on that (with it premiering on the channel in... August?).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Master Luc wrote:

Does it really need to be? It's only four episodes long, so it's not like some huge undertaking that will sell thousands of copies to cover the cost of the dub. Big series can do this, small series can't. Apparently after our relentless informing to you of that situation, you still just don't get it.

Can this thread be locked now?
Master Luc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Master Luc wrote:

Does it really need to be? It's only four episodes long, so it's not like some huge undertaking that will sell thousands of copies to cover the cost of the dub. Big series can do this, small series can't. Apparently after our relentless informing to you of that situation, you still just don't get it.

Can this thread be locked now?

How about series like Ys, Denteko Princess (SP!), Mouse, Early Reins and some others we dubbed. Is it because 2003-2004 is differrant than these days?
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Master Luc wrote:
How about series like Ys, Denteko Princess (SP!), Mouse, Early Reins and some others we dubbed. Is it because 2003-2004 is differrant than these days?

to put it simply, yes they were.

right now the economy isn't in good shape and the R1 anime industry in particular. Companies can't afford to spend unnecessarily (which means no dubs for niche titles)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6