• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Import vs Domestic

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlayBoi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I dont get it why is it that DVDs that are imported only cost $10. While DVDs here, that take anywhere from 6 months to a year after its initial run in Japan, cost $26. Or am I mistaken?

Heres a site that I found. I can already start buying a series like Read or Die the TV for $10 per DVD instead of waiting 3 months for tha same DVD for $26, right?

http://www.[This URL is a known Bootlegging website]/

So whats tha difference? besides price and better artwork on tha Japanese covers. Is it just because tha DVDs have no dub?

Also, has anyone bought DVDs from

http://www.animeonestop.com/

and espeacially

http://www.[This URL is a known Bootlegging website]/dvd/ <--- Complete set heaven at tha best prices I've seen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
gnollman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:08 pm Reply with quote
It's because these DVDs are bootlegs. Non-licensed products, for which the creators of the shows on them receive no recompense or income for.

These are illegal, and by buying them, you are supporting criminal elements and more importantly, you are not supporting the people who make the shows you love.

If you love anime, support it. Buy legitimate DVDs.
PlayBoi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:31 pm Reply with quote
gnollman wrote:
It's because these DVDs are bootlegs. Non-licensed products, for which the creators of the shows on them receive no recompense or income for.

These are illegal, and by buying them, you are supporting criminal elements and more importantly, you are not supporting the people who make the shows you love.

If you love anime, support it. Buy legitimate DVDs.

So your saying all import DVDs are bootlegs basicly?

And ya I know what a bootleg is you didn't have to go pshyco.

But I always wonder why it would matter is I bought DVDs from distributers like ADV that doesnt support tha people tha make it ADV has already purchased tha rights to tha profit in North America meaning tha money I spend on a $26 DVD goes to them not tha Japan company, creator, ect. Correct?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:44 pm Reply with quote
PlayBoi wrote:
So your saying all import DVDs are bootlegs basicly?

No, but the "imports" you linked to are bootlegs.

PlayBoi wrote:

Actually, he didn't "go psycho" at all. You are the one overreacting.

PlayBoi wrote:
But I always wonder why it would matter is I bought DVDs from distributers like ADV that doesnt support the people the make it ADV has already purchased the rights to the profit in North America meaning the money I spend on a $26 DVD goes to them not the Japan company, creator, ect. Correct?

You're incorrect, pal. ADV (and Geneon, Bandai, AnimEigo, FUNimation, etc., etc., etc.) are legally able to distribute anime in North America because they purchased the rights to do so and give the Japanese studios a significant cut of the profits made off of each DVD sold. To say they don't support the industry is absolute foolishness.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:55 pm Reply with quote
PlayBoi wrote:

Clearly, you don't. If you did, this entire discussion would not have taken place.

Go to a place like http://www.animaxis.com and check out legit import anime DVDs. They cost around $40-$50 each. The US ones are cheap compared to that.

And the reason why those ones you linked are $10 are because they're bootlegged.
PlayBoi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:04 am Reply with quote
Well I guess thanks for answering my questions but really you people are rude and ill no longer be posting here im sure everyone, not just myself, will be happy with tha decision. Some of you need to learn to talk to people not think your superior to them, quite sad.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:20 am Reply with quote
PlayBoi wrote:
Well I guess thanks for answering my questions but really you people are rude

If we're rude, then you're way too sensitive. If you can't take people telling you you're incorrect, then you really need to toughen up or you're going to get eaten alive in the real world.

PlayBoi wrote:
and ill no longer be posting here im sure everyone, not just myself, will be happy with the decision.

You're right about that.

PlayBoi wrote:
Some of you need to learn to talk to people not think your superior to them, quite sad.

Oh but I can speak to people politely. Shame you got under my skin from your first post, or you might have seen my hospitality firsthand. I'd say your ability to piss people off as a first impression is even sadder than our coarseness in answering your question.

But I guess since you're gone now, you won't be reading this. Meh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
gnollman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Rude? Psycho?

Man, it's amazing this guy can even log onto the internet, with skin that thin....

Good riddance to bad rubbish...
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't even call that thin skinned. Perhaps delusional. You weren't insulting in anyway. If they figure you being direct to the point, and perhaps slightly blunt as being psycho, then the problem lies with them.

In any case, we are better off without that kind of element.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:42 pm Reply with quote
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Stay on topic, or else let the thread die.

Since neither were accomplished here, this thread's locked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1