• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Galaxy Express 999: The Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
Galaxy Express is among one of my favorite old school titles of anime. The themes presented in it and such gives it a message trying to be sent to people in a way like Tezuka-sensei would try and use his works to give out messages to people about humanity. I would agree that this one isn't hard to get, but without R2 capability your playback is limited.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:14 am Reply with quote
This used to air all the time late at night on Space when I was a kid growing up, though I feel ashamed now for preferring to watch Ninja Scroll rather than Galaxy Express.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
I still remember having a copy of this taped off of TV back when I was little (no idea whether it was the good dub or not). Too bad we don't have it anymore.

SciFi Channel used to show the Viz version in the late 90's, but I think they had to cut it down due to the movie's length conflicting with their need to show it in a 2-hour block.
jsevakis wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
On the subject of Rintaro, I was fond of Metropolis.

I consider Metropolis a so-so movie that could have been a good movie had it not been for Rintaro. The story is great, the art is gorgeous, and the script had potential (though it could have used some rewrites). However, all are stymied by all these absurd directorial touches that absolutely do not work -- from the Looney Toons fade-out bubbles that then relaunch in the same scene, to disastrously inappropriate musical choices (happy big band music while people are DYING IN A FIRE!?). They're stylish, but work against the story, the mood and the pace of the film. The end result is not the work of a filmmaker, but a fine artist masquerading as a filmmaker and giving himself away at nearly every opportunity. It's no wonder the Japanese public rejected it outright.

I remember thinking I didn't care for that Ray Charles number that showed up in it. I think I only ever saw it just once and never again. It just didn't live up to my interests (unless the GE:999 film which I can watch over and over and hardly get tired of).

Quote:
Any sympathy I further had for Rintaro was erased when I saw the interview with him where he basically admits Dr. Tezuka did not like the story and did not want it animated, so he basically waited for him to die so he could do it anyway. Absolutely disgusting.

Sad really.

Incidentally, there's a rather dead-on review out there on the horrible version of GE:999 after New World had it's way on it. You can check out the details here! There's a lot of guys my age who probably grew up watching that tape and not know how bad we had it then!

EDIT: Do not double-post. Use the Edit button to add to your post if it's the last in the thread.~Zalis]
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quote
jsevakis:
Quote:
from the Looney Toons fade-out bubbles that then relaunch in the same scene,

It was meant to be a tribute to Tezuka and LT.

Quote:
to disastrously inappropriate musical choices (happy big band music while people are DYING IN A FIRE!?)

I think they were trying to be ironic with that scene. Either that, or they were trying to emphasize the contrast in the setting versus the scenario.

Quote:
The end result is not the work of a filmmaker, but a fine artist masquerading as a filmmaker and giving himself away at nearly every opportunity. It's no wonder the Japanese public rejected it outright.

The Japanese rejected it outright, because it didn't have girls with guns staring at each other for the better part of half an hour... Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Any sympathy I further had for Rintaro was erased when I saw the interview with him where he basically admits Dr. Tezuka did not like the story and did not want it animated, so he basically waited for him to die so he could do it anyway. Absolutely disgusting.

I think he was doing it to honor Tezuka's memory, not to disrespect him. Besides, he probably had to go through Tezuka's family and/or estate to get permission, so it's not like he shot the movie without complete consent.

Also, you're a bit off about the manga not getting a release, since Viz briefly published it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:11 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
On the subject of Rintaro, I was fond of Metropolis.

I consider Metropolis a so-so movie that could have been a good movie had it not been for Rintaro. The story is great, the art is gorgeous, and the script had potential (though it could have used some rewrites). However, all are stymied by all these absurd directorial touches that absolutely do not work -- from the Looney Toons fade-out bubbles that then relaunch in the same scene, to disastrously inappropriate musical choices (happy big band music while people are DYING IN A FIRE!?). They're stylish, but work against the story, the mood and the pace of the film. The end result is not the work of a filmmaker, but a fine artist masquerading as a filmmaker and giving himself away at nearly every opportunity. It's no wonder the Japanese public rejected it outright.

The only one who died in the fire was Dr. Lauton, from what I remember. And the music was for the weird firefighting robots, which suited them. As for the scene transitions, it was clearly a homage to early cartoon transitions, giving Metropolis a classic cartoon feel, in conjunction with the dixie jazz music.

It was a bit sneaky of Rintaro to do this to a work Tezuka didn't want to do, but that was at the time they last spoke about it. Who knows what he would have wanted if he had lived this long. I know, it still is a bit scummy, but I thought it was a good movie regardless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cyclograph

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:14 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

I got mine from dvdfromkorea.com ... I'd give you a link, but for some reason their site prevents it.

2 Disc set: http://www.dvdfromkorea.com/shop/p_detail.asp?idx=3415

(you must copy the url from the search results page to to save a direct product link... something peculiar to how their site is set up.) Confused

Edit:
Since dvdfromkora folded in late 2008, the above link is, of course, deceased. k2dvd.com appears to be a new equivalent, and I recently purchased this set from them with no issues - a bit cheaper, even!
http://www.k2dvd.com/shop/p_detail.asp?idx=1965
The same economy 2-disc version as before; no booklet, no bonus disc.

Last edited by Cyclograph on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HQuest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:45 am Reply with quote
Ever since I've known about this column, I've been waiting for you to do the GE:999 movie.

A lot of long-time anime fans have fond memories of it. I've always wanted to start a write-in campaign or something just to try to get it in print again.

That subbed version is nice, but there's a nostalgia factor to the dub that just adds so much more to the experience for me. It's a wonderful film with a wonderful dub, and it was one of the titles I was excited to see on DVD when the format really hit its stride in 2000.

To this day, I'm disappointed that it never saw an R1 DVD release. And it's so painfully unlikely that it'd ever be licensed again, with the market in its current condition. The only company that would even seem remotely likely would be Animeigo, and I don't even know what they do these days.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:55 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
but without R2 capability your playback is limited.

Korea's R3.
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:22 am Reply with quote
Cyclograph wrote:
2 Disc set: http://www.dvdfromkorea.com/shop/p_detail.asp?idx=3415

(you must copy the url from the search results page to to save a direct product link... something peculiar to how their site is set up.) Confused

All right! I do believe I'll buy this. I'll deal with the region code issue down the road sometime.

Thanks for the link! Smile
nhat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:46 am Reply with quote
Great article. The two movies are great and I wish it was released on DVD with the dubs. I actually have the recorded movies from Sci fi from back in the day and I'll keep it till someone decides to put it on DVD that it deserves.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:15 am Reply with quote
I've still got the VHS of the Viz versions of GE999 ("The Signature Edition") and Aideu GE999. Guess I know now why they're not (and presumably won't be) on region 1 DVD.

The music of the series really is remarkable: big, lush arrangements by (I think?) the Columbia Japan Orchestra. There was a nice omnibus release of GE999 music a few years back called the "eternal edition", which had two CDs of music in each of six box sets (though by the end it devolved into dialogue and karaoke... the first three boxes are pretty awesome though).

Speaking of Rintaro, I'd love to see a Buried Treasure about the "Phoenix" OVAs he did. There's like next to no information about those, except on tezuka.co.jp, and it seems like the 2004 "Phoenix" series almost deliberately avoided adapting any of the manga stories already covered by Rintaro.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:37 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Actually, unless I'm remembering wrong, part of the manga WAS released in the US. It was serialized in the back pages of Animerica back in the mid-90's. I'm pretty sure it was never finished, though, and Viz never released a graphic novel to my knowledge.

There were 5 volumes released..... it seems VIZ's release stopped there, one of the few titles they were publishing that didn't make it to the smaller trade size, even though 4 and 5 came out around that time
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:42 am Reply with quote
HQuest wrote:
Ever since I've known about this column, I've been waiting for you to do the GE:999 movie.
<snip>

To this day, I'm disappointed that it never saw an R1 DVD release. And it's so painfully unlikely that it'd ever be licensed again, with the market in its current condition. The only company that would even seem remotely likely would be Animeigo, and I don't even know what they do these days.

Yawara! and chambara, and a few other (live action) things (see the pulldown Products menus). Very Happy
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:58 am Reply with quote
I dunno man, I kinda liked the music in Metropolis. I mean, the Ray Charles button of death was absolutely priceless. Very Happy

Interesting to hear you say Galaxy Express 999 is Leiji Matsumoto's best work. What made you like it better than say Arcadia of My Youth or The Cockpit?

Hmm.... that bit about Rin Taro's remarks.... that's rather sad to hear. I like his films, even Harmageddon. Phoenix and Dagger of Kamui were entertaining. X did indeed suck though.
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:05 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Speaking of Rintaro, I'd love to see a Buried Treasure about the "Phoenix" OVAs he did. There's like next to no information about those, except on tezuka.co.jp, and it seems like the 2004 "Phoenix" series almost deliberately avoided adapting any of the manga stories already covered by Rintaro.

Actually, he only did one of those as I recall, the Karma Chapter one. I can't remember who did the other two... Dezaki and Kawajiri I think.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4