• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Galaxy Express 999: The Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:24 am Reply with quote
I never knew GE999 was done by Rintaro, but that's enough to sell it for me. I'll try to watch it when I run out of other things.
Metropolis was my "gateway" anime and as such I love it thoroughly and wholeheartedly. As much as I'd like to rant, I'll concede to agreeing to disagree with the views of Justin et al.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
trandraskell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:32 am Reply with quote
Thank you justin for reviewing this great film. I love the 999 universe to me it was really the journey of a life time. I got to see this great film back when sci-fi channel had aired on the anime block. i fell in love with the universe. I am a 999 nut and along with Herlock,Yamoto and Galaxy Railways. Matel the the perfefct woman . I had read some where that that is now Leiji degins his women to be that way. Leiji work is fantastic it make me dream of when for me life was simple and getting ready to set out on life journey. I hope that everyone get to watch this great masterpiece. Let hit Toei to bring this series to the everyone. The first 29 are avaible for fan-sub(i am not promoting I want legal copies but until then they will do)
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:49 am Reply with quote
lord_darkseid wrote:
Actually, he only did one of those as I recall, the Karma Chapter one. I can't remember who did the other two... Dezaki and Kawajiri I think.

Ah, you're right. Looked it up on Tezuka World. Rintaro directed Karma and co-produced Yamato. He wasn't involved with Dawn or 2772 at all.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen this one.

I try really hard to like Matsumoto. I own Captain Harlock, Galaxy Railways, Arcadia of My Youth, and Maetel Legends. I've watched them all and think they're okay, but I wish I could get into his universe the way other people do. I don't connect with the characters the way I do with other stories.
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote
I love this movie more than I love part of my own family (stupid cousins ¬¬)

I try to use the 999 thing for everything... you can see it in my username, my phone ends with 999, if I could, I'd live in a house with that number Anime hyper

I first wanted to watch GE999 because I knew Harlock was in it, then because I LOVE trains and I just fell in love of the characters, the story, music, everything.

This is one of my top anime movies ever.

I only wish there was enough market to bring Matsumoto's early stuff to this side of the planet >.<
rocklobster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
It's just too bad this anime isn't available in the US anymore. I think since Funimation has Galaxy Railways, which looks like its done by the same people, they should go through the process of making a new version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote
So many happy memories. I have always been a huge fan of Matsumoto's universe since Star Blazers and Captain Harlock and The Queen of a Thousand Years would show on syndication when I was a kid. Anime smile

I think the best thing I can say about the magic of this movie: I showed this movie to my little sister when she was five and she fell in love with it. She is 16 now and her interests in anime peeked and fell when Sailor Moon was taken out of Cartoon Network's regular rotation.

Sure enough, to this day, she still finds time to take out my ViZ Signature VHS copy and pop it in when (she thinks) no one's around. Anime smile

And last bit of humor. Here's my old review of Galaxy Express 999
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:33 am Reply with quote
I was gonna keep this secret but my fansub group (L-E) is going to be releasing a brand new fansubbed version of it in a few weeks. Keep an eye out for it if you're interested.

We opted to translate it from scratch as opposed to use any existing translation (Viz or otherwise).

-Tofu
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote
speaking of, i just won off ebay the Galaxy Express 999 (korean version with english subs and japanese dubs) + Aideu Galaxy Express 999 DVD Box Set........
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the movie, but I really love the series (and now, subsequently, I want to see the movie). I originally started to watch it due to it's influence on Kino's Journey and became a big fan of it in the process. I wish the manga was released stateside here...it could use some more exposure.
HQuest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I seriously think we should start some type of write-in campaign, as this is a classic and there really is a market specifically for this title.

The only thing I wouldn't be sure about is which licensor to go after.

Viz is rolling in shonen money, but they may not be willing to go back and relicense a film that's so old and that they had such trouble with originally. Funimation did Galaxy Railways, but I don't even think that did so well, since they never licensed the second season.

I'd say animeigo would be right for it, but I don't even know if they've licensed any new anime in the last few years. So it comes down to Media Blasters, or Nozomi, who I think would both do a good job.

The movie was even on AoD's top 25 wanted license list for a long time (although I think it finally fell out of the top 25 earlier this year).
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I talk about Rintaro, I feel obliged to point out that he's got to be one of the single most divisive anime directors out there. Everyone who sees his works either thinks they're totally awesome or absolute unwatchable garbage. You either love them or despise them, and there's practically no in between when it comes to this. I never really seem to see anyone who says "I thought The Dagger of Kamui was just okay." Further confusion of the matter occurs by virtue of the fact that there's no real consensus as to which titles go in which category. Nobody can ever agree on which Rintaro titles are the awesome ones and which ones are awful!

The only thing we can truly be certain of is that the Galaxy Express Three-Nine will take you on a journey, a neverending journey. A journey to the stars.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm.... how about we try to create a consensus among the posters here informally with several of the titles? Let's see...

Galaxy Express 999
Adieu Galaxy Express 999
Harmageddon
The Dagger of Kamui
Phoenix: The Karma Chapter
Metropolis
Space Pirate Captain Harlock
Captain Herlock: Endless Odyssey
X: The Movie

If you've seen it, rate it from 1 (poor) to 5 (excellent).
Levonr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I have both dubbed movies on VHS if anyone is interested in buying them from me.
I also have The Cockpit(dub), Arcadia of My Youth(dub, which was not released on the DVD) & DNA Sights 999.9(dub). Although the last two aren't rare.

I have many other rare VHS tapes too if anyone is interested.
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
i really wish Space Symphony Maetel would be released, that was a great sequel
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4