• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Galaxy Express 999: The Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deltastr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
you can get captain and queen from here there imports but it a relable site
Mod note: the site linked to was a bootleg site. Always be very careful when dealing with "import" DVDs.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
The only thing we can truly be certain of is that the Galaxy Express Three-Nine will take you on a journey, a neverending journey. A journey to the stars.

Darn, I was beaten to the punch.

I too belong to the mass of people who caught the good oldies on SciFi back in the day and figured this would eventually show up in the column. (Now I just have to wait and see if my other predicted anime will appear!)

It's been a while since I've pulled out my taped off SciFi copy of it...Galaxy Express 999 was my first foray in the Leiji-verse and I rather enjoyed it. Wasn't as fond of Adieu spoiler[which I sometimes think of as Adieu Star Wars 999 from it's ending *rolls eyes*] but I still have a desire to cosplay Maetel one day.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing both movies on Sci-Fi. Was that the bad dub?
subaru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I am so happy to see Galaxy Express 999 in Buried Treasure. It really brings back lots of childhood memory. I grew up in Hong Kong. I had my previleage to watch this show on TV when I was young.

Please write about Queen of 1000 Years sometimes too. (Hope I have got the name right)...... and a little off topic........ Magical Angel Creamy Mami......... these are some of the most iconic titles from my childhood era.

Also, a while ago, I saw this music video clip on TV......... the whole clip was an animation with Leiji Matsumoto inspired characters......... I don't remember the artist's name nor the song's name....... Nonetheless, it was a pleasant surprise. I was very surprised that no on this forum mentioned it....
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
subaru wrote:
Also, a while ago, I saw this music video clip on TV......... the whole clip was an animation with Leiji Matsumoto inspired characters......... I don't remember the artist's name nor the song's name....... Nonetheless, it was a pleasant surprise. I was very surprised that no on this forum mentioned it....

That would probably be by Daft Punk off the Interstella 5555. Pick it up some time, you might like it.

belvadeer wrote:

No, that was the dub he likes. The bad dub was done in the mid 80's in which Tetsuro's name was changed to... let me see if I can get this right... Joeyhannababacamandasmith.... because he said that whole name every time ... kid you not... then theres the other name change to Captain Warlock... in addition to the cutting of footage. The one on sci-fi channel was a godsend compared to this, though I did prefer this version's VA for Maetel for some reason....

Oh, for people looking for the R3's Galaxy Express DVDs, try DVD Asian. They seem to stock legit Korean discs.
cephelotron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
I consider GE 999 as one of the pivotal titles that really got me into anime. I'm now a full fledged Matsumoto fan. I'm lucky enough to have found both of the VHS dubs and doubly lucky to have found the soundtracks on vinyl a while back. Thanks so much for reviewing this and getting it some attention. I really enjoy this column and look forward to it.
cool3865

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote
i actually just won on ebay the 7" OST for Galaxy Express 999
Raoh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:56 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Ah, this brings back memories. I saw both GE 999 and A GE 999 on SciFi back in the 90's. Even though I only saw the both of them one time, they still remain as some of my fondest memories of the good old days.

Same here. It was around 1998 when they used to show Anime on late Saturday nights. Very Happy

Thats also how I saw the first Tenchi Muyo film.

I also only saw these once, but they left such a profound impact that I urge anyone who can to view them.

It'd be nice if a company brought them out as a set. I'd certainly buy it.

Besides, its not like we have any chance in hell of getting the TV series version, might as well go for the films. Very Happy
watchdog210

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:33 am Reply with quote
belisarius wrote:
Storytelling at its finest.

I whole heartedly agree. This was one of the first animes that I saw and it is still near the top of my 'Top Ten' list. Imanigne my suprize when I saw the Galaxy Railways DVDs on the rental shelf at my local anime store. I had to have them so I ran right out and bought it. (bounced a check to do it Confused ) If you haven't seen Galaxy Railways you are in for a treat. Classic Leiji MATSUMOTO at it's very best. On par with GE 999 and in a tip of the hat to GE fans the train 999 itself makes a cameo in the first ep.

Edit-A little off topic, but what is the differance between R1, R2... and so on? Will I have a problem using my PS-2? (in the US)
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
I own both vhs copies of Viz's version of the Galaxy Express 999 movies. I also own a fansub of The 1978 space Pirate Captain Harlock.

Live-evil fan sub group is working on GE 999, Captain Harlock 1978, and Captain Harlock SSX. I wait patiently for them to complete SSX.

At http://saiei.nagi-fanboi.net/ you can find raws of the old shows.

It would be nice if one of the anime companies would pick these old shows up and release them on dvd uncut and unedited.

I'll watch a show raw(If I want to see it really bad) until a fan sub or a domestic version gets released.

watchdog210

R1 means Region 1(USA) and R2 is for Region 2(Japan). R2 dvd's will not play on a dvd player set for R1. You have to have a region free dvd player, or you can get a program for your computer to make your dvd drive region free and watch it on the computer. Some dvd recording software can make dvd copies region free(Nero burning rom is one). If you own R2 dvd's then make a back up of it.

more info at www.videohelp.com

Very Happy Evil or Very Mad Very Happy
watchdog210

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Unknown.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
lord_darkseid wrote:
subaru wrote:

That would probably be by Daft Punk off the Interstella 5555. Pick it up some time, you might like it.

belvadeer wrote:

No, that was the dub he likes. The bad dub was done in the mid 80's in which Tetsuro's name was changed to... let me see if I can get this right... Joeyhannababacamandasmith.... because he said that whole name every time ... kid you not... then theres the other name change to Captain Warlock... in addition to the cutting of footage. The one on sci-fi channel was a godsend compared to this, though I did prefer this version's VA for Maetel for some reason....

Oh, for people looking for the R3's Galaxy Express DVDs, try DVD Asian. They seem to stock legit Korean discs.

Oh thanks for clearing that up. I never thought the one on Sci-fi was bad. It always managed to reel me in
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Cyclograph wrote:
2 Disc set: http://www.dvdfromkorea.com/shop/p_detail.asp?idx=3415

(you must copy the url from the search results page to to save a direct product link... something peculiar to how their site is set up.) Confused

All right! I do believe I'll buy this. I'll deal with the region code issue down the road sometime.

Thanks for the link! Smile

There's a lot of cheap DVD players that are easily hackable you can check out, I've had DVD players for 8 years and always bought the ones I knew could do so.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
lord_darkseid wrote:
subaru wrote:

belvadeer wrote:

Oh thanks for clearing that up. I never thought the one on Sci-fi was bad. It always managed to reel me in

At least you didn't see it in the video store under the "Children's Treasures" banner!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4