• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A.D. Vision to Auction Surplus Office Supplies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
For me involving single disks, thing is I did that and completed several series via single disks, before thinpacks came into existance. You know what the worst part is? It takes up too much room. One big reason why I buy the thin Blu Rays. I'm all about saving space and hate having to buy another cabinet just because my collection can't fit on it.

And well, it's sad knowing how much I spent on Geneon single disks and then find out how much the boxsets that came out were... $45 CAN per Chobits disk was NOT fun.
DirtnSky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Heh heh. I wonder if this is ADVs' proverbial arrangement of the furniture on the Titanic.

Chapter 11 is in the soon to be future I say.
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
If there is a bottom line amid these many cold strings, it is that anime in general is just too pricey for the average consumer, who, after seeing as many shows ("contemporary classics" if you will) as he/she set out to while traversing the incline of their fandom, is left with few and far-between occasions to repeat such investments. To anticipate that even the most voracious and wealthy consumers would continue to support the industry single-handedly is just wishful thinking, especially now. The long-term success of the current pricing mechanism is simply an unrealistic expectation no matter how much any of us love anime.

I'll admit I've done little research into why anime costs as much as it does--the answer I get is usually, "Shut up! In Japan they pay WAY more! >Sad"--but it has always seemed ridiculous to me that companies like ADV have even bothered to shell out the ridiculous licensing fees--carried over through beefier-than-American retail prices--for half the stuff they pick up, especially when some of the actual products often look like they didn't cost the piss of that sum to produce. Who sets these prices and why? I'm willing to bet that whoever it is cares little about how long the product lingers on shelves in some foreign country, or else something would have changed by now.

If this occurrence is resultant purely from a lack of single purchases, then I can honestly say that I don't feel a tinge of regret on my part at all. When I started out as a fan in 2003, I scoffed at the $30 discs packed with four episodes. I couldn't believe anyone actually bought them, and in all honesty I expected to see them disappear by now. As I packed boxset after boxset into my shopping cart, the the singles never did disappear; here we are. Now I don't blame the American companies one bit; I know they had no choice. No less could be charged and no more could be offered to make up for what they so courageously (if suicidally) handed over to bring those shows over here in the first place. I don't blame them. But I don't blame myself either, because $30 for four episodes--and while this is a very old issue (though it shouldn't be), I don't care how much they pay in Japan because that's ridiculous, too, and I especially don't care how much you paid, because I think you got ripped off most of the time--has always been the toxic marking of a dreamland ambition. None of this is surprising, and none of it was necessary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Why all the additional nay saying? Didn't ADV announce earlier this year that TRSI would handle all of their online sales distribution from now on? Wouldn't it then make sense that they would then have an extra warehouse on their hands? Wouldn't it also make sense that they might want to liquidate their assets there? Does anyone find the inquisitive nature of my post effective?
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Why all the additional nay saying? Didn't ADV announce earlier this year that TRSI would handle all of their online sales distribution from now on? Wouldn't it then make sense that they would then have an extra warehouse on their hands? Wouldn't it also make sense that they might want to liquidate their assets there? Does anyone find the inquisitive nature of my post effective?

Naysaying is cathartic. If what you're suggesting is the whole truth, then it isn't nearly as interesting. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:

Hey hey hey! We're on the ANN forums here, so you can take your logical explanations elsewhere sir!

Geez, some people...
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling their AX panel is going to make a lot of people cry...
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
While it's not good that this is happening, I stopped buying ADV DVDs years ago (and getting the R2 counterparts) due to the poor work that was done in most of their releases that I bought at the time. That, and I was one of the "fools" that actually bought Jinki: EXTEND manga only to see it cut.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like you need to shop at better stores, Hexon. You can easily find virtually all 4-episode volumes for about $20, or possibly as much as $25. If you're paying $30 for one, then it's the store that's ripping you off, not the anime company.
Tsuzuki Love

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:

Now, more than ever, ADV needs the singles to sell. Yes, the cost of living(gas in particular) is up and so there's less disposable income, but so many people had that knee-jerk reaction to their licensing issue and stopped buying singles in lieu of a thinpak down the road, and it's killing the company.

People who can afford it, I implore you to, for now, stop waiting for thinpaks of series that haven't finished releasing in singles, and buy those singles.

Um, based on his/her location the probability that this person works (or worked) for ADV is extremely high, so if you're going to scoff at what he/she has to say you're pretty much hammering a nail in ADV's coffin.

Last edited by Tsuzuki Love on Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ligene

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I make a habit of buying singles for something I really, really love (Le Chevalier d'Eon, Kaleido Star, and AIR TV come to mind). Hell, I even bought the thinpacks of Kaleido Star, just because my disks were so scratched up because of my abuse. Other then those rare titles, I like getting the boxset and watching it as a whole.

The pictures depressed me.
midori kou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
afedakendragon wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:
Is that a big 'ole Rosette place mat under the computer on the second to last picture on the first page?

Looked like Rio from BurnUp to me.

Nope, it's DEFINITELY Rosette.

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u26/windsorauction/ADVIDEO/?action=view&current=advideo1115.jpg

Only a handful of battle nuns in the anime world. Wink
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:

Uh, the auction is being held AT their warehouse, but I'm pretty sure that all that furniture and computers came from their main offices.

At least last time I checked, you didn't tend to furnish your warehouse with Ikea desks and cubicle partitions. (or 50+ telephones).
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
i got so much adv anime i was hope for adv going to release Ah! My Goddess fighting wings but now i dont know
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Uh, the auction is being held AT their warehouse, but I'm pretty sure that all that furniture and computers came from their main offices.

At least last time I checked, you didn't tend to furnish your warehouse with Ikea desks and cubicle partitions. (or 50+ telephones).

But why would they bother to re-set up workspaces if all the stuff came from another location? You're right, I'm sure some of that stuff came from another location (ie all the stacks of filing cabinets and the CTR monitors) but all the desks and furniture in my office building are the same that are in the warehouse attached to my building.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8