• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A.D. Vision to Auction Surplus Office Supplies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vesca

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
The most likely case with this auction s that ADV is movig it's office back To W Sam Houston Parkway, and that it's making more space because of shutting down PiQ.

The stuff being shown for auction is from their small warehouse on the Beltway, it's not the PIQ stuff. They have/had a few small offices there and then their main office on Bintliff. It's when they start cleaning out Bintliff that we should really be concerned...
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
abstract-alchemist wrote:
As Chris from AOD has in his signature, Anime is not a right. You can't afford it, don't get into it. Those of you who wait for sales/boxsets to go on sale, you're not contributing to the health of the industry.

Okay, so because I'd prefer to wait for a sale and buy a series for $50 instead of $200, I'm suddenly a bad fan who doesn't contribute? In the past two years, I've spent a large chunk of change on anime, because I've waited for sales, and then bought a bunch of stuff in one go. It's still a contribution to the industry, because I am still willing to shell out my money for the shows that I want. Better they get money from a bargain sale than nothing at all.
Frankly, you're making it sound like bargain hunters are no better than people who only watch fansubs, or watch their anime via Youtube - those are the people who don't contribute, not bargain hunters.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Alright alright, this isn't about pointing the blame at people and trying to accuse others of being the reason this is happening. Let's not make this in to a witch hunt guys.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordRobin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
All the talk of how fans should open their wallets and contribute monetarily ignores the major question of whether today's fans are even able to do so. If I understand correctly, the average age of today's anime fan has dropped to around 18. If that's right, as much as half the fandom can't even qualify for a credit card. And we're expecting these fans to buy $25 DVDs every month?

The US anime industry started by targeting college-age and older fans. The boom launched on the backs of these fans and their disposable income. I got into anime when I was 25 and most of my fellow fans weren't much younger. Sixteen years later, the market has drifted younger, but they're still marketing as if the fandom was mostly 20-year-olds.

------RM
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
And we're expecting these fans to buy $25 DVDs every month?

*Waves*

Yep. The unfortunate thing is, there's currently nothing in the ADV catalog that interests me, and I've already purchased pretty much every older show from them that I'm interested in (the last ADV purchases I made were 5cm/s and the Shinkai double pack). If ADV had only managed to keep TTGL, I would've been all over those singles like grease on fast food.

I tend to agree that ADV is just getting rid of equipment from their magazine/sales division. So this is old news, essentially.

As for people saying that they've stopped buying singles out of fear of halted releases mid-series, I don't get that; I mean the only instances I'm aware of that happening in recently are (obviously) Geneon, which I got burned on myself with Black Lagoon -- somebody pick that up please -- and...Viz. The latter only seems to sustain production of high margin/high volume titles, so they're doing it for reasons completely different to Geneon anyway.

But I digress; my knowlege is imperfect in this area to say the least, so I could just not be hearing about a lot of other dropped titles.
Chesty La'Rou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote
It would seem to me that with thinkpaks, even if they do cost 70% less than singles, if you sell 3 to 4x more thinpaks than singles packs then you would have made more money.

I also see a lot of people post about how anime costs to much...then they come out with thinpaks that are very cheap when compaired to their single pack brethern and everyone complains.

What DO you want? You can't have it both ways.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
As Chris from AOD has in his signature, Anime is not a right. You can't afford it, don't get into it. Those of you who wait for sales/boxsets to go on sale, you're not contributing to the health of the industry.

Okay, so because I'd prefer to wait for a sale and buy a series for $50 instead of $200, I'm suddenly a bad fan who doesn't contribute? In the past two years, I've spent a large chunk of change on anime, because I've waited for sales, and then bought a bunch of stuff in one go. It's still a contribution to the industry, because I am still willing to shell out my money for the shows that I want. Better they get money from a bargain sale than nothing at all.
Frankly, you're making it sound like bargain hunters are no better than people who only watch fansubs, or watch their anime via Youtube - those are the people who don't contribute, not bargain hunters.

Agreed.

The only kind of bargain hunting that doesn't end with ADV et al earning money is when we buy second hand. Even when we buy on sale, ADV has already made their money. They sell to Best Buy for X, suggest that they sell it for X+Y, then we buy it for X+.5Y. They get X no matter what.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
The ignorance in this thread is astounding. I am sure there is other fandom's social apertures that are just as stupid. But anime always surprises me. To bad that one day people are insightful, and the next they are the pictures next to ignoramuses in the dictionary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rg4619

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even when we buy on sale, ADV has already made their money. They sell to Best Buy for X, suggest that they sell it for X+Y, then we buy it for X+.5Y. They get X no matter what.

It depends on the sale in question. Those blowout deals at Rightstuf or the ADV store involve excess inventory that has either been cleared out from the company's warehouses or returned by retailers (who couldn't sell their stock, so they demanded a refund).

That kind of thing hurts ADV because they don't get X when they really need it.

It's much more beneficial to the company if all of us were to buy just a few series at launch than to wait and buy dozens of liquidated DVDs. However, I can't blame the consumer. We all want more for less money (i.e. why settle for three shows when the same amount of money can get you so much more?), and there's really nothing unethical about it.

Last edited by rg4619 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:

As for people saying that they've stopped buying singles out of fear of halted releases mid-series, I don't get that; I mean the only instances I'm aware of that happening in recently are (obviously) Geneon, which I got burned on myself with Black Lagoon -- somebody pick that up please -- and...Viz. The latter only seems to sustain production of high margin/high volume titles, so they're doing it for reasons completely different to Geneon anyway.

I dunno, a big reason why I don't buy anime releases as soon as they come out is that I like to get the show all at once, so that I can watch it in one go, instead of watching four episodes, waiting 3 months, watching another four, etc. I used to be able to do this when I first started buying anime, but nowadays, not so much. Welcome to the NHK! is an exception, but I had already seen it all, so it didn't matter if I got it all at once.
On the other hand, if all of the series has been released, and there's a pretty art box, I would much rather buy all the singles, and the box on sale, rather than buy a thinpack. More pretty boxart on the singles boxset than a thinpack.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:

I dunno, a big reason why I don't buy anime releases as soon as they come out is that I like to get the show all at once, so that I can watch it in one go, instead of watching four episodes, waiting 3 months, watching another four, etc.

That I can understand. I prefer to do that myself actually, but would rather purchase singles as they are released if the choice is between that and waiting 10 months or more for an entire series to be released.

Also (although I don't think people who wait for sales are unethical at all), I like to think that I'm contributing more to the industry's long term health by purchasing (newly released) singles.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Nilrem wrote:

It's sad that ADV closed down PiQ and that people lost their jobs, but disposing of excess furnishings after that isn't something that should really be a surprise if they are vacating a rented/leased office that is no longer required.

I'd be surprised if PiQ had more than 10 people in their offices. There is no way this could all be for PiQ, if any of it is for PiQ at all. This is quite a bit of stuff and anime companies aren't very big.

TornadoTatsumaki wrote:

There is no evidence here that ADV films is facing any bankrupcy at all. Have they annouced losses? No. Has Sojitz annouced they are pulling out of ADV? No. Has any of it's current recent titles gone out of print? No. But many of thier older titles from 1998 and earlier have, but this is the case with alot of older titles with anime companies since those licenses are outdated. My assumption, is the layoff are pertaining to PiQ and not to the company.

Has ADV announced anything lately? Like, you know, anime titles? Kiba is the only thing and they have very little on their calendar. In addition, while nothing was announced, there is very strong evidence that Sojitz did pull out. You remember that little hiccup in February when ADV was releasing nothing and then lost Gurren Lagann? Well, after that, ADV disappeared from Sojitz list of affiliates on their website. I don't think its a bit jump of logic to assume what that means.

And again... how many people do you think worked at PiQ? Keep in mind that articles tend to be written by freelancers. I'd guess they had 5-10 people at the most in the PiQ office. They certainly wouldn't have had 30-50 people operating there... those are the kinds of numbers you would expect for a large chunk of a small company. Like ADV.
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
But let me ask you, if those people will never rent or buy then what effect do they have on the market? Whether or not they see the show online won't matter because no one will make a cent off of it.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully ADV can, if they are indeed heading towards this, file a chapter 11 and rebound from it. I mean K-mart filed chapter 11 and they just this past year or two ago bought out Sears. A company filing bankruptcy papers for reorganization bought out another company who had not filed themselves. My point being if ADV does have to go this route perhaps they do rebound back from it and stay alive with their core resource, anime dvds. It would be a shame to see everything else they have done, or tried to do, end for good but if they can at least continue to acquire and release dvds I would say it's a positive situation for them at that point. My personal opinion is I think ADV outstretched themselves during the "anime boom", as I refer to it to myself, and when sales dropped they had no where near the resources to continue with everything they had established. Just personal opinion there.

My other concern is related to the fall of Piq and Newtyoe USA. Even before them there was Animerica which has left the scene, minus a shopping preview catalog of sorts they do. As Kevin Gifford said in his post that was linked in the article it's becoming increasingly difficult for magazines to stay afloat for a variety of reasons. My concern then would be the health and longevity of Protoculture Addicts. Call me an ANN fanboy if you want but I personally love PA and I worry that it too may soon not be able to stay in print. Considering how long PA has been around that would be a truly sad if that came to pass. I hope I am just being paranoid with that.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Those of you who wait for sales/boxsets to go on sale, you're not contributing to the health of the industry.
This is just absurd. How could buying a box set NOT help a company? Should we just download instead and not give them a cent like a fair chunk of fandom does? If they don't want people to buy the cheap box sets and if it hurts them financially, maybe they shouldn't release them.

Fans aren't forcing companies to run anime businesses the way they are now. The companies make these decisions themselves. They're not damn charities. If they can't make turn a profit, it's not my problem. I've bought the product and that it. I shouldn't have to worry about their business plan or if they've made a profit. I'm not running the company. It's not the consumer's responsibility to make sure they buy the right product (i.e. single disc releases over box sets) and at the right price so the company survives. If they sell it at a loss, whatever. The consumer didn't make that decision, the company did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8