• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-06-27]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:15 am Reply with quote
I think I'm with DemonEyesLeo on the sports anime issue. My experience with the genre has been limited only to the first 50 episodes of Prince of Tennis (and yes, I realize that's probably not the best sample from the genre, but it's all I have to work with), but while watching it, most of my frustrations with it stemmed from the fact that I greatly enjoy both watching and playing tennis. I was constantly rolling my eyes and gritting my teeth when the show launched itself into one overblown cliche shounen power-up/split-screen scene after another. In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest that the series wasn't so much "Prince of Tennis" so much as "Prince of Launching High-Powered Glowing Orbs Around That Apparently Caused the Extinction of the Dinosaurs." (And yes, that actually happened in the movie.) I was also rather sick and tired of seeing random spectators comment on what was going on in place of, y'know, actually showing what was happening on the court. The fact that I loved the sport for what it really is got in the way of my enjoying the exaggerated, overblown shounen version that the series created.

Anyways, that experience has made me somewhat wary about seeking out any other sports-related series (although the tennis movie mentioned in Buried Treasure did look somewhat appealing, since it seemed to portray the sport realistically). I'm a big football, baseball, and hockey fan, so if I could find a series that wasn't as out there as PoT portraying one of those sports, I might be willing to give it a shot. I have a friend who's always raving about Major, and the Buried Treasure column on Touch was definitely high praise, so maybe if I'm left with nothing else to watch one of these months, I'll give them a try.

(Despite my misgivings about over-the-top-ness, I'm almost a bit curious about Eyeshield 21. As the NFL Blitz series of games proved, real football isn't that far away from being that way in the first place. Razz)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
When I first read the premise of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, here on ANN in one of the seasonal previews, I didn't think much of it- it seemed like just another "wacky hijinks" school anime with typical fanservice. When I watched the first episode, I was even less impressed, because of the way they began the show, taking that episode at face value. I was somehow spurred onto continuing to watch by word of mouth and found msyelf drawn in by the interesting take on the school show, involving jabs at the genre of science fiction and little chunks of light philosophy. It's what makes the show more than just some generic fan service show. It reminded me of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy in its glib approach to science fiction and its put upon main character.

Unique, funny, and entirely memorable.

Masterpiece? Eh, not quite. But damn fine watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
loka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
answerman has it right when it comes to me: i dont like sports anime because i dont like sports. in the same way i somewhat doubt that those who get easily frustrated with computers would like Battle Programmer Shirase.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote
I absolutely love Takashi Murakami and it's nice to see that his artwork is getting some exposure. I do think that My Lonesome Cowboy and Hiropon are quite hilarious. Anyone interested in checking out more of his artwork or other "Superflat" artists should definitely check out the art book Little Boy: The Arts of Japan's Exploding Subculture. Which also includes Taro Okamoto's famous quote as mentioned earlier in the thread.

I really want the newest art book released of Murakami's work, but art books are pretty expensive, but I'll own it eventually.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
Anime Expo is going to be interesting this year to me as well, although I was extremely against it being where it is when I heard the news last year. So, who else is planning on going?
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:

That said, I always hear anecdotes about fans who watch long-running anime series about one particular profession or event that they otherwise wouldn't be interested - like football or cooking - and as a result they grew a real appreciation for it. I know personally I watched a giant load of Slam Dunk in college and to this day casually follow NCAA basketball (although it helps that my alma mater was a basketball-obsessed campus, though I didn't take much of an interest until I marathoned Slam Dunk).

Saemw thing one of my friends. Played Derby Owners Club, now watches horse races (and lost alot of money at Belmont. Stupid Big Brown....).

Also, I keep hearing that Initial D also sent a resurgence into people wanting the Toyota AE86 Corolla.
Ralboon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:10 am Reply with quote
God I love Murakami. I can't remember what it's called, but my favorite work of his is the female transformer. In jet mode, the lady parts are on the nose of the plane. Genius, and hilarious.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:53 am Reply with quote
Maybe the fluid dynamics exhibited by those Murakami sculptures would be possible if they were underwater, but that doesn't overlook the fact those characters' expressions don't match those you'd expect when producing such copious amounts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:56 am Reply with quote
Ralboon wrote:
I can't remember what it's called, but my favorite work of his is the female transformer. In jet mode, the lady parts are on the nose of the plane.

Second Mission Project Ko2 (2007)

Ralboon wrote:
Genius, and hilarious.

Frankly I don't think that idea is original at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Noggy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:22 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
I'd also argue that a reason sports anime doesn't do too well in the US is because they have a very hard time appealing to actual fans of the sport(s).

I agree. For the most part, sports fiction is only popular in America if it's in movie or book format. You don't see too many American produced long running sports fiction TV series because who wants to watch that when they can watch the actual sport?

It's borderline impossible to get general American sports fans interested in an animated series about Japanese high school sports. And on top of anime fans not generally being sports fans, it's a tough sell.
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:05 am Reply with quote
scortia wrote:
JnxCsc wrote:
*Sigh* I must now go and listen to the Mortal Kombat theme song.

Which I have.

On my iPod.

Don't feel bad, I own the soundtrack.

I own *gulp* several.

But this is not confession time.

Answerman wrote:
My inbox was weeping.

So was this forum. The mods really should have enforced the 'no posting confessions' rule ....
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:10 am Reply with quote
Bunnneeeeeeeeee!!!

With that out of the way, I'm going to go and hug the dog and phone a friend.
darcerin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:23 am Reply with quote
I can't judge you; I own the first Powers Rangers US movie soundtrack (and love to death), and the English Cardcaptors tv theme on my MP3 player. So yeah....exiting stage left now.

That being said, I'm taking the wisdom of the Answerman and getting a checkup next week. Smile

And my god that bunny is adorable. If I knew he'd stay that small and adorable I'd go out and get one myself.
rti9

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:29 am Reply with quote
Flake of the Week wrote:
You are a censorship Nazi, "Answerman", and one day you will pay for your crimes.

The correct reply would be: NO SOUP FOR YOU!
Godwin's law could probably be applied to this flake.
NotSoFluent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:06 am Reply with quote
It's pretty obvious that those statues were meant to be a joke; after all, Comiket tends to be packed with doujinshi that make female characters like that. As creepy as they look, their so absurd that the comedy should be fairly clear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6