• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mind blown after watching Code Geass.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foodandliquor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:29 am Reply with quote
Hi,
so I just finished watching code geass in the past 2 todays and I have to admit that, after watching various anime and reading my fair share of manga in the last few years, I haven't seen anything that impressed me like that series did.

I'm no big fan of mecha anime in general and that was the part I was the least interested in there as well, but besides that everything from the plot to the characters got me.

The fact that it wasn't a story where you get to be "all happy" in the end of every episode was very refreshing as well, it had you lose characters you sympathized with and it did well at building up suspense over the episodes (unlike many other anime that get ridiculously stupid towards the end, I remember not even watching the last episodes of rurouni kenshin and with deathnote it was like that as well).
An anime where the fight and action scenes are by far the most boring part of the whole thing just because the story is so well developed is really refreshing.

For me this anime was really different from what I've seen before and naturally it raised the standards I had before regarding anime. But I feel like it could be hard to find something like this in the near future, do you guys/girls have any suggestions which anime could suit me just as well?

Code geass covered pretty much everything I could ask for in an anime, but I would be satisfied with something that covers only parts of that. For example the character depth and emotional bonds between various characters,the very well thought through mindgames or a really good main story thats keeps you interested over the entire series.

So I hope I could somewhat point out what I'm looking for and I'd really appreciate every suggestion made.

Best regards,
Fiasco
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:05 am Reply with quote
just to let you know, not many people love Code Geass in ANN forum.
Even when Code Geass was the most popular at that time, ANN people still hate it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:12 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
just to let you know, not many people love Code Geass in ANN forum.

Well, I love it. So long as we are talking about the first season, that is. The second season was appalling.

Back to the first season, it's actually well-written and exciting, but gets panned by many people who don't like the anti-hero protagonist. Yet he was the best part. I positively squealed with delight at the end of episode one.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
Yes just like you I finished Code Geass in like 2-3 days. I even then watched the dub episode, which was good itself. It was just an epic anime that I enjoyed a lot. While there was flaws, I think its strong points more than makes up for its minor flaws.
Konopan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Foodandliquor wrote:
I'm no big fan of mecha anime in general and that was the part I was the least interested in there as well, but besides that everything from the plot to the characters got me.

Most common popular mecha series are typically not really all about the mechs.

Foodandliquor wrote:
did well at building up suspense over the episodes (unlike many other anime that get ridiculously stupid towards the end)

...Not sure if I can take that seriously in any way, to be honest. Both seasons had plenty of "twists" after the halfway point that led to ridiculous turns of events; for example, the entire "plot" behind Charles acting like a Darwinist dick, along with the resolution, was phenomally, almost comically outlandish.

If you really want something "similar", I'd probably suggest playing through the Metal Gear Solid series before telling you to go watch a cadre of UC Gundam series or try and plow through the entirety of Legend of Galactic Heroes.
anime racket

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Code Geass is awesome! I watched the entire series and, while
I admit the second season was a little weaker, it's still one my top
favorite anime. Lelouch is my number one favorite anime character of all time.

Does anyone here quote him while playing Call of Duty or Halo?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote
This is very close to being a pure recommendation thread, and we don't allow those. If this starts being all about recommendations then it will get locked. If it continues to be just discussing the merits of CG, though, then that's fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:04 pm Reply with quote
My mind was blown after watching 2 episodes-at how horrible and disgusting it was.
anime racket

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
My mind was blown after watching 2 episodes-at how horrible and disgusting it was.

Aww, your no fun. Those first two episodes are some of my
favorite in the whole series, filled with action, suspense, and
originality.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:02 am Reply with quote
i like season 2 better because it was very random, you don't know what will happen next.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:52 am Reply with quote
I first learned about Code Geass in Anime Insider. It got "anime of the year" in one of their articles. I ignored it since I'm not a mecha maniac and was wary of the hype.

I first saw episode 1 on ANN out of curiosity and went on to watch the rest. After seeing the cliffhanger season finale I bought the DVDs to enjoy it dubbed. Then I bought the special editions when I found out the drama CDs were in English. Then I bought each volume of season 2 as they were released.

I consider it to be one of the better series in my collection and it is unique as the only series I've double dipped on without switching formats (DVD to DVD).

I enjoyed season 2. If you want to see Code Geass turn into a mess, read the manga! Twisted Evil

(seriously, don't read the manga) Sad

As for something similar try Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. I also felt that Code Geass had some similarities to The Vision of Escaflowne. All three shows feature a main cast member seeking revenge, exploration of character relationships, and politics amongst nobles/high-society.[/list]
Hawkn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed both seasons, but the first was slightly better.

I heard that there is a third "season" of manga in Japan, and that it sucks, but I haven't checked for myself.
Volibear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
yeah, i one of those who didn't enjoy the series
it was only the characters that let it down for me though, the story was top-tier, one of the best out there, the art was good and the animation was fine but i really didn't like the characters
Lelouche was good, i liked him because anti-heros are so few and far between and there so much better than archetypal protagonists (Alucard and Lelouche are my 2 favs) but most of the other characters just annoyed me the whole time i watched it, particulary Suzaku and Nina, if the characters weren't so annoying it'd probably be my fav ever series but sadly it doesn't even make the top 20
shadow13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
maybe but those were great episodes
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching the first season of Code Geass today and it was great. Very different from what I was expecting though. The cliffhanger ending is killing me, I feel like Im gonna go crazy if I don't find out what happens next right now Anime hyper. Im also not a big mech fan but I liked the way they did the ones here. I found Lelouch quite an interesting character, especially in how much he valued his sister. In the last episode spoiler[he chose to go and save her, even though he must have known that the rebellion would fail without him present, but even so he decided to abandon the world and all he'd worked for to save his sister.] He's kinda like a workaholic father; he leaves Nunally at home and stays away for days, and when he is home he's too tired to do much. But when it really counts he comes running.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3