• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mind blown after watching Code Geass.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I would disagree with dtm42. He seems to forget our revolution when we revolted against England. People like George Washington had moral limits. They didn't do half the things LeLouch did. In fact,LeLouch would have been thrown out of the Continental Army for a lot of the stuff he did.
There was no mention of the Founding Fathers sending agents to London to blow themselves up in public places in the name of American independence. And that is because one:that didn't happen and two:it wouldn't have been allowed. That sort of action would have undermined any moral justification for the Revolution and would have universally condemned on both sides.

Nearly all of the leaders of the American Revolution died in their beds after long lives of distinguished service to their new nation. Many of the leaders of the French Revolution were guillotined. In the Russian Revolution,only Lenin died a peaceful death. Those who helped him died at the hands of Joseph Stalin through his notorious purge trials.
If dtm42 believes that LeLouch is in any way comparable to George Washington is fooling himself. I see LeLouch as more comparable to people like Fidel Castro,Vladimir Lenin,and those like them,villainous people who had no moral scruples and did reprehensible things to further their own goals. LeLouch was a moral pygmy. To me,the guy is a snake.

If anyone on this site even attempts to compare LeLouch to George Washington should reread their American history. George Washington would never have done even half the things LeLouch did. He had a moral center. LeLouch doesn't. He never really had. In LeLouch's eyes,the ends justified the means. If innocent people died,to LeLouch,it was just their bad luck. If he had any regrets,is that half the things he did would have been condemned by history for all time. He's a slug. He deserves all the scorn me and others have given him.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
There was no mention of the Founding Fathers sending agents to London to blow themselves up in public places in the name of American independence. And that is because one:that didn't happen and two:it wouldn't have been allowed. That sort of action would have undermined any moral justification for the Revolution and would have universally condemned on both sides.

One could argue Lelouch never did something exactly like that either, though he did carry out many similarly questionable acts. Then again, I find the entire comparison (the Black Rebellion of Lelouch vs. the American Revolution of George Washington) in itself to be structurally flawed. See below.

Quote:

Nearly all of the leaders of the American Revolution died in their beds after long lives of distinguished service to their new nation. Many of the leaders of the French Revolution were guillotined. In the Russian Revolution,only Lenin died a peaceful death. Those who helped him died at the hands of Joseph Stalin through his notorious purge trials.
If dtm42 believes that LeLouch is in any way comparable to George Washington is fooling himself. I see LeLouch as more comparable to people like Fidel Castro,Vladimir Lenin,and those like them,villainous people who had no moral scruples and did reprehensible things to further their own goals. LeLouch was a moral pygmy. To me,the guy is a snake.

The problem is you've apparently convinced yourself that there are "good" revolutions and "bad" revolutions based entirely on the means involved, which is a rather selective and self-serving way to look at world history. Most rebellions and uprisings can't be so easily categorized into one category or the other, not to mention that there is usually some degree of historical white-washing by the winners concerning the violent actions that brought them to victory.

That's not to say all revolutions are equally violent, but many of them have been quite brutal at times, and not all revolutions involving acts of brutality on one side or both sides are the result of inherently "evil" intentions either. You should do some re-reading about Cuban, Russian or even French and South African history, for example, before jumping to conclusions and making too many generalizations.

However, this ultimately doesn't matter. The question should be whether or not Lelouch's actions were justified or at least understandable within the fictional context of the anime, not compared to this or that isolated historical incident. That's what we should consider. Britannia, not Great Britain, is the ruling power that he was rising up against and its occupation policies were considerably more repressive and underhanded to begin with.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Well,nightjuan. When I compared LeLouch to people like Castro and Lenin,I read a lot about those two revolutions. Although the Czar had been overthrown in Russia,the Bolsheviks later took over and became even more repressive than the Czar had been. Similarly,when Castro overthrew Batista,he became as tyrannical as he accused Batista of being.
In two books by Humberto Fontova,one of the middle-class Cubans forced to flee for their lives from Castro's tyranny,he interviewed those who lost loved ones to Castro and his underlings. It's rare that anyone interviewed those who suffered at his hands. In the Cuban-American community,stories of loved ones being tortured and murdered by Castro's thugs are legion.

Basically,LeLouch was a character I hated a lot. He may have had a sympathetic backstory,he lost whatever sympathy he had with me when he did some pretty detestable things. The guy was a snake before and time hasn't changed my opinion of him one iota. To me,he was more a villain than anything,someone I couldn't bring myself to like no matter what. The guy was a loathsome creep. That part shouldn't be forgotten.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3