• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Heavy Metal anime music?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:47 am Reply with quote
Like mentioned before, BGC2040 has some music that could fall into what you're looking for, but it's more dance techno, with a nice hard beat. The soundtrack is a great buy though. Anime smallmouth I've been pleasently surprised to find some songs playing at rave parties.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:20 am Reply with quote
Wow...I'm surprised no one here's mentioned Animetal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
sun007

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:10 am Reply with quote
Wow. A lot of people here like classic rock. I love it. They would make good anime music.

No one mentioned Jimi Hendrix or The Who. Crying or Very sad
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:05 am Reply with quote
sun007 wrote:
Wow. A lot of people here like classic rock. I love it. They would make good anime music.

No one mentioned Jimi Hendrix or The Who. Crying or Very sad

That's because they aren't looking for music that would be good for anime, but rather, anime that has had heavy metal music used in it.

Although for the heck of it, and because of the storyline, you might want to show them Black Heaven. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:51 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Wow...I'm surprised no one here's mentioned Animetal.

I did! I did! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
eva05

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:06 pm Reply with quote
You want to check out Sex Machineguns.

They've done some anime theme songs but there catalog is pretty much thrash and heavy metal.

I have all their CDs and DVDs. They rule. Enjoy.

Smile

j
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:42 pm Reply with quote
wizard55 wrote:
I am trying to find some anime music my friends would enjoy and all they like is the heavy metal/rob zombie/eminem music with the real hard guitars and all that....

The only anime music i found that had a heavy beat to it (which eve i could tollerate) was Geneshafts opening (its cool!!)

any others out there??

Actually one of rob zombie's songs back then were Supercharger heaven which included lyrics like "Devilman,Devilman calling.." and most otakus have seen or heard of Devilman. Also Glenn danzig, former lead singer of the punk band Misfits, often sported the Captain Harlock skull n crossbones t-shirt back in the day.

Saiyuki has a cool ending theme (tightrope) which like most anime music sounds better than the crap we have today.
("britteny spears,justin timberfake anyone?")
lewish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Now if there's a metal band which could make a good anime OST, that would be NIGHTWISH*.*
DrSkrud

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:15 pm Reply with quote
lewish wrote:
Now if there's a metal band which could make a good anime OST, that would be NIGHTWISH*.*
I think Blind Guardian could pull it off too Wink

Anyway, speaking as a metalhead with severe Anime Soundtrack Addiction, I think a good track to check out would be "Hoshi No Hate" from the Saikano soundtrack. The instrumental version is just astounding. (It's the guitar-oriented anthem for lots of the show).

Also, Through The Night from Outlaw Star is a great hard rocker, and the whole soundtrack is full of some great guitar stuff.

And finally, a lot of the songs from the various Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien soundtracks have some very good guitar work on them... Check out the character singles, particularly: Tooi Natsu No Hi by Ishibashi Tomoko Panic by Kiyomi Asai, and Blue Tears (game theme song) by Kuribayashi Minami. Also the main theme, Precious Memories also by Kuribayashi Minami is excellent. While these may be much more flowery than anything else, there's some really nice guitar-to-flower-seiyuu-vocals contrast and guitar solos sprinkled randomly throughout.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
joeasakurajr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Firstly, hello to all present, as I just joined this very cool website today! I am a long time anime fan (but not as hardcore as some) and look forward to learning more and more about this coolest of cartoon styles! I enjoy sentai and daikaiju programs and movies as well.

On topic: Yes, Animetal are very cool! I've downloaded a bunch of tunes of theirs, mostly the giant robot drama themes as that is what I cut my teeth on, and am really liking them. Too bad their stuff is so hard to get over here!

Other metal music for anime I'd suggest, speaking as a long time old school veteran headbanger myself (since '84 or so):

Behemoth: "Chant for Eskaton 2000", "Decade of Therion"
Bolt Thrower: "Realm of Chaos" (the whole album)
Cage: "Eyes of Obsidian", "Philadelphia Experiment"
Any Children of Bodom album (except "Hatebreeder")
Most anything by Devin Towsend (especially the album "Biomech" by his Ocean Machine project)
Any Kamelot (especially the last three albums)
Most any Manowar
Nightrage "Sweet Vengeance" (Sweet Revenge?)
Sinergy "Suicide By My Side"

Just a few ideas, there...take it easy, all!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DrSkrud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:24 am Reply with quote
Whoa whoa whoa, what's wrong with Hatebreeder? Razz

Anyway, I recently found out about Animetal myself and am constantly being surprised by the random classic metal riffs thrown in for good measure mixed in between the anime themes (like "Stand Up and Shout" by Dio, and Angra's "Carry On", and Iron Maiden's "The Trooper" and "Running Free"...) Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
joeasakurajr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:16 am Reply with quote
"Hatebreeder" is just my least favorite album of theirs, no disrespect intended. I actually rather like "Follow The Reaper" the best so far.

Animetal do work in their share of classic metal riffs, like the "Crazy Train" intro riff at the end of their version of the "Gaiking" theme. I thought that was the coolest thing, as that is one of the greatest riffs ever written. Need to find more of their stuff!

More ideas for good anime metal music:

Yngwie Malmsteen's first two albums (his best work)

DragonForce: "Valley of the Damned" (the song), "Black Fire", "My Spirit Will Go On"

Laterz, all! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DrSkrud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:16 am Reply with quote
Hehehe... Smile

Although I fail to see how we ended up at this point of the thread where we're no longer discussing anime music at all... Razz
joeasakurajr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Whoops! Embarassed My bad! Back on track...

I've noticed that metal has a very definite place in anime these days, themes, background music and such--like the music in "Devilman Pt. 1: The Genesis" when Ryo and Akira go to Hell and find themselves in a rowdy nightclub with loud hard rock playing in the background, the classic Saint Seiya theme...gotta love it! As a friend of mine says, "Of course they're (Japanese metal players) great musicians--they've had decades of classic Eurometal to draw from!"
DrSkrud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I recently was told about about an anime called Black Heaven which... well, the description on ANN has the following line:
Quote:
Oji's life gets a sudden change in direction when he is invited by a mysterious blonde woman named Layla to pick up his Gibson Flying V and once again display his "legendary" guitar skills
. I only recently managed to find an anime rental store (Marche Clandestin) that has Black Heaven on hand and plan on watching the whole series once final exams are over.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3