• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Book Club -- Serial Experiments Lain.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Oh dang! That's something I took note of and completely forgot about it when I actually posted. Right now I can't really make anything of it other than it being another strange occurrence. Perhaps the MIB had something to do with it, or the Wired, or something else?

Yeah, if the MIB and Lain's parents are in on some kind of experiment on Lain together like I said in my speculation, then this wouldn't surprise me one bit. Of course, the MIB could have more to do with Lain's parent's acting weird than in other ways than just one.

Quote:
As for the interaction between Lain and her computer, Lain shows a certain amount of respect for her Navi and often receives the same from the seemingly "alive" other end (the Wired). Probably reinforces the idea that she's not just another kid who's into computers.

Well if anything, I'm more interested in her reaction to the Navi speaking back to her like that, like she wasn't expecting it to or something like that. I wonder if this is one of the first times Lain figures out the kind of abilities she possesses or something like that.

Quote:
My thoughts are that the Knights and the MIB might be on opposing sides, because one seems to be helping her and the other may be trying to catch/stop her. I'm not sure how much either may be connected to the family. I'm actually more interested in the Knights at the moment and hope we learn more in the next episode.

Hmm, yeah good point, now that I think about it. If the Knights are the ones responsible for all this blurring between reality and the wired then the experiments on Lain could very well be to figure out how to stop them or something. I think that's what might be so important about how Lain responded to her father warning her about that, because she may very well be able to actually do that.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Let's pick up the discussion, people! There's only so much us first-timers can add without making ourselves sound stupid. Wink

July 15-21 discussion:

Episode 5 -- "Distortion"

Episode 6 -- "Kids"

Episode 7 -- "Society"

I expect things to really pick up these next few episodes, especially because we'll be completing a whole volume in one go. Just from the sounds of it, "Distortion" is an interesting title, although I have no doubts that "Kids" and "Society" could easily be just as delightful.

Also, I expect to learn a lot about the Knights considering "Knights" is the name of this volume.

Begin whenever you'd like starting tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Let's pick up the discussion, people! There's only so much us first-timers can add without making ourselves sound stupid. Wink

July 15-21 discussion:

Episode 6 -- "Kids"

Episode 7 -- "Society"

I expect things to really pick up these next few episodes, especially because we'll be completing a whole volume in one go. Just from the sounds of it, "Distortion" is an interesting title, although I have no doubts that "Kids" and "Society" could easily be just as delightful.

Also, I expect to learn a lot about the Knights considering "Knights" is the name of this volume.

Begin whenever you'd like starting tomorrow.

So much to elaborate on from these three episodes. Here are some things that I can open up for discussion:

First off, the conversations that Lain had with each of those figures in episode 5. Each one discussed with her the significance of a prophecy, the real world being an illusion, and the presence of God in the Wired. You may think that Lain is distorting reality through her conversations with these four figures, which include her mother and father. I believe that the mysterious voice Lain heard in the subway is trying to influence her through these figures and have to do with the strange occurences taking place in the real world at the moment. More detail on the mysterious voice will be unveiled in the next DVD volume of Lain.

Then in episode 6, Lain has a conversation with Professor Hodgeson in the Wired regarding the manipulation of Psy energy in children with Project KIDS. Hodgeson explained that someone stole the plans to the project and have leeked onto the Wired. Seems like this could be connected to the mischief taking place from the Knights, especially with the giant silhouette of Lain that appeared in the sky of the real world. The Knights seem to be quite familiar with Lain and seem to want to use her for some purpose, the same way as the mysterious voice seemed towards Lain in the previous episode. The Knights and the mysterious voice have a connection to each other which will be explored later on as well.

Lastly in episode 7, Lain received some shocking facts about herself as she couldn't recall relevant facts about herself and her family from the man at Tachibana Labs. This seems to go along with my earlier discussion about how Lain may not be an ordinary girl, especially with the possibility that her life in the real world could be a fabrication. The Tachibana Labs man seems to be delighted with Lain's influence in the Wired bringing about something.

Judging from events that happened over these past few episodes, we have three parties that could be trying to use Lain for their own means, especially as her presence is continuing to blur the Wired and real world together.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:

Aw, but all this speculation is fun! Very Happy

Yeah you're right though, we need more discussion in here. I would have liked to have heard what other people thought about our speculations.

Quote:

Episode 6 -- "Kids"

Episode 7 -- "Society"

Yeah, that's definitely an interesting sounding one. But at the same time, if you think reeeaaallly obscurely (which you kind of have to do with this series anyways Wink ) "Kids" and "Society" both sound pretty interesting too. Wink

Quote:

Yeah, no question. In regards to that I'm also very interested by Ggultra's comments above pertaining to the Knights. I could really have a field day with speculation on some of that but we'll wait until I've actually seen the episodes.

Speaking of which, I'm gonna try and see what I can get in tonight, but with 3 episodes instead of 2 (don't worry AG, it's awesome you're starting to pick up the pace nonetheless Very Happy ) I might have to do them each on separate nights. We'll see though.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been posting here much because, well, I've had quite a few issues rewatching this show. It...just...hurts my braaaain...and it's not the only anime I'm watching right now, either. Many of you seem far more astute than me for this one, really. It's too contradictory for me to wrap my brain around very solidly.

I will, however, be very curious to see what y'all's perspective on "Kids" (as in the project itself) is as its the one part of the show that still feels really out-of-place to me. Even the video game gone awry made more sense at the end. KIDS...doesn't.

I noted a long time ago that the avatars of people in the Wired are not full-body representations like that of Lain. Projecting oneself to that degree just isn't something normal hackers can do, so they stick to simple images and odd golems to represent themselves...isn't it funny what some of them choose? We don't know who many of these anonymous hackers or Knights are, but we get a good idea of their motivations or personalities based on the forms they take. (A giant mouth, a pair of sexy legs, empty bodies with one eye, or one ear, only a nose, or just a shadow.)

The other concept in Lain I found pretty fascinating is its seemingly unnecessary focus on sexual relations. Seemingly. But not at all when you think about it. Lain is hell-bent on proving the Wired to be a world exact in purpose and complexity to that of the real one, if not superior, by rooting out all the dangerous/unknown elements holding its integration back.

But there's one thing we have emphasized in the real world that can only be mimicked in the Wired, and that's an awful lot of touching, sexual attraction, and candid human relations. The Wired is an emotional and dynamic environment, but there's something sterile about it when you realize how much sex has to do with the real world, and if you consider what sex might represent, it might be a good clue as to what the Wired is missing that makes Lain such a separate entity in either realm.

Not that there isn't a third Lain known to both realms that will soon appear....
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
I will, however, be very curious to see what y'all's perspective on "Kids" (as in the project itself) is as its the one part of the show that still feels really out-of-place to me. Even the video game gone awry made more sense at the end. KIDS...doesn't.

Whoever took the plans for KIDS seems to have a plan for using them which could be connected to the events of the Knights who seem to be taking full advantage of the blurring occuring between our world and the Wired. It may seem irrelevant now. But, the reasons behind using the plans of KIDS will be something to draw back upon when you see later episodes of the series.

If it still makes no sense when we eventually discuss all that has been shown from the series, I'll feel free to discuss what KIDS has to do with what is going on throughout Lain.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
Ah, episode 5. The one that puts forth the most prominent question I have about the series. What exactly happened to Lain's sister? And to a lesser degree, why is she involved in all of this anyway? These episodes draw attention to question of Lain's identity and her true relationship to her family. Lain's father would be the simplest to explain. He is part of the trigger that allows her accessibility to the wired, via purchasing hardware for her and providing the initial know-how to introduce her to the medium. I'm not exactly sure how the mother fits in, but it would be a little odd without one, and presumably she knows what's going on. The sister, however, I just can't figure out at all. She thinks Lain is wierd, but doesn't really care enough to find out more. And then episode 5 happens, and... somehow her consciousness is seperated from her physical body? What's left is a shell that we see gradually degrading into inanity. She was watching the TV, but not really seeing or absorbing anything, just a user-less interface in the real world.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, guys! I've been totally immersed in this newly released book I bought yesterday, so I just finished two of the three episodes a few minutes ago. I think it's okay not to watch it all at once so we can spread the discussion out over the week.

In episode 5, I especially liked those few scenes involving Lain's discussion with different people/things (or possibly the same one in different forms) about the Wired and this prophecy, which is becoming more prominent by the minute. The doll tells Lain that she already knows everything after asked to tell Lain a story about something Lain doesn't know, but then it begins to explain about prophecies. Then a mask says that the prophecy is already being fulfilled and mentions that history is like a series of points made to be connected by someone. Next Lain's mother appears and implies that "reality" may be just an illusion created by the Wired. Lastly, her father talks about the idea of the Wired being like its own world with a "God," and this is beginning to affect the real world in the form of a prophecy. Not once is Lain's question at the end answered by whatever is relaying this information to her.

This voice who calls himself "God" at the beginning of the episode has been talking to Lain about the idea of leaving her body. He says humans can't evolve any further but have found an "exit" for their worthless lives: the Wired. In other words, on top of the many strange things that are starting to happen, it appears that this voice is trying to follow this prophecy and get Lain to become part of the Wired. Perhaps he is a part of the Knights?

Also in this episode, Mika is driven crazy by these messages to "fulfill the prophecy." One that interested me in particular is when she received a tissue package, which had this message inside: "The other side is overcrowded. The dead will have nowhere to go."

Episode 6 had a lot to do with a game called "KIDS" which is based off a project by Professor Hodgeson. It was interesting at first to see all of these kids raising their hands to the sky, and then we see a godlike image of Lain appear in the clouds, which is obviously a plan by someone else (I'm assuming the Knights again) to further this idea that Lain is an important being in the Wired. Hodgeson himself made the comment that Lain must be a powerful and "blessed" being in the Net.

As for the relevance of the game, I agree with what Ggultra said above:

Ggultra2764 wrote:
Whoever took the plans for KIDS seems to have a plan for using them which could be connected to the events of the Knights who seem to be taking full advantage of the blurring occuring between our world and the Wired.

Other than that, we get to see a lot of Lain's experiences on the Net and it seems she's already been talking with the Knights. Though I was confused at the end of 6 -- were the Knights trying to kill Lain with that explosion? Guess I'll wait and see with the next episode.

Btw, I noticed a strange static in the shadows this time (besides the purple and red splotches).

I'll comment more when I watch episode 7.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
The other concept in Lain I found pretty fascinating is its seemingly unnecessary focus on sexual relations. Seemingly. But not at all when you think about it. Lain is hell-bent on proving the Wired to be a world exact in purpose and complexity to that of the real one, if not superior, by rooting out all the dangerous/unknown elements holding its integration back.

But there's one thing we have emphasized in the real world that can only be mimicked in the Wired, and that's an awful lot of touching, sexual attraction, and candid human relations. The Wired is an emotional and dynamic environment, but there's something sterile about it when you realize how much sex has to do with the real world, and if you consider what sex might represent, it might be a good clue as to what the Wired is missing that makes Lain such a separate entity in either realm.

Really? Confused So far the only thing I've seen in the entire series pertaining to that was that scene where the guy is hitting on the housewife, but other than that, nothing really.... Although I wouldn't be too surprised if it was something that TOTALLY wen over my head. I'm one who never looks at anything pervertedly, after all. Wink

Anyways, STUPID FREAKING ME GOING AND READING THE BACK OF THE BOXES FOR VOLS. 3 & 4!!!!! Mad Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I think I just TOTALLY spoiled myself silly for reading those....... Bigtime...... I don't know though, this series is just that obscure that maybe I don't have to worry about it so much. But I'll try and keep what I read under wraps as much as I possibly can. All I can say is that what I did read sort of puts earlier events/things that have been said in earlier episodes into perspective a little more. It sort of made sense of things for me a little more.

But in any case, I was actually able to watch all 3 episodes last night, but I kind of had to push myself to do so. Anime smile + sweatdrop I don't know if it was a good idea or not though, because I swear my head is still throbbing from all the information intake, especially given how friggin much was developed and revealed in these particular episodes..... Anime dazed I think a lot of our speculations were kind of confirmed in them though. Such as all that stuff about what Lain is doing in the wired and the MIB and Knights being on opposing sides. Plus that and I think Chisa's "God really does exist" coment earlier in the series is starting to come more into light here. As is the voice's "You are not alone." I think both are in reference to this Deus being that they're saying exists in the Wired. That led me to a speculation that Lain could possibly be this "Deus" herself, but yeah, from what I was possibly spoiled about above, I'll stop right there. Anime smile + sweatdrop

And of course a lot of new stuff happened and was revealed. I to am a little bit confused with the KIDS stuff myself. It says on the back of the box (yeah, I read that too Anime smile + sweatdrop ) that they "committed suicide" or something like that, yet it wasn't mentioned once in that episode that they did...... That and I'm kind of trying to figure out what it has to do with "this game the kids are playing." And with JesuOtaku saying she doesn't seem to see what it has to do with anything that happens in latter episodes doesn't help any...... At first it sounded to me like they were trying to say that Lain was one of these "KIDS" herself, but that's starting to look less and less likely.

I was starting to get a little bit confused by all these new characters that seemed to be getting introduced left and right in episode 7, but by the end of the episode I pretty much came to the conclusion that all of them are Knights. Now I don't know what happened to Mika in episode 5 (at first I thought Lain was responsible, especially after her reaction to that figure standing by the door, which I assumed was telling us that she could see Mika's consciousness form, but then again I guess that's still within the realm of possibility Wink ) but I assume it has something to do with the Knights. I say that because I noticed (my overanalyzing may have actually payed off this time Wink ) that when it happened, she's kind of silhouetted by the exact same symbol that was on the chip and on that crazy guy's visor at the end of episode 7, which once again, I assume each event had to do with the Knights.

And then of course the big thing that comes into question in episode 7, that quite frankly I believe to be the catalyst of everything that has up to this point (and now everything I know that will, dang it all!! Evil or Very Mad ) concerned Lain. Is this even her real family? Has she ever celebrated a birthday in her entire life, even her own? I think the behavior of her parents is starting to make a little bit more sense now, and I'm sure will make even more sense in the future. Which at the same time I think even further gives me reason to speculate that the MIB and Lain's parents are in league somehow.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
But in any case, I was actually able to watch all 3 episodes last night, but I kind of had to push myself to do so. Anime smile + sweatdrop I don't know if it was a good idea or not though, because I swear my head is still throbbing from all the information intake, especially given how friggin much was developed and revealed in these particular episodes..... Anime dazed I think a lot of our speculations were kind of confirmed in them though. Such as all that stuff about what Lain is doing in the wired and the MIB and Knights being on opposing sides. Plus that and I think Chisa's "God really does exist" coment earlier in the series is starting to come more into light here. As is the voice's "You are not alone." I think both are in reference to this Deus being that they're saying exists in the Wired. That led me to a speculation that Lain could possibly be this "Deus" herself, but yeah, from what I was possibly spoiled about above, I'll stop right there. Anime smile + sweatdrop

You were pretty much on the borderline of spoiling events that take place later in the series. So, try keeping your temptations under control until the conclusion of the series. Laughing

BrothersElric wrote:
And of course a lot of new stuff happened and was revealed. I to am a little bit confused with the KIDS stuff myself. It says on the back of the box (yeah, I read that too Anime smile + sweatdrop ) that they "committed suicide" or something like that, yet it wasn't mentioned once in that episode that they did...... That and I'm kind of trying to figure out what it has to do with "this game the kids are playing." And with JesuOtaku saying she doesn't seem to see what it has to do with anything that happens in latter episodes doesn't help any...... At first it sounded to me like they were trying to say that Lain was one of these "KIDS" herself, but that's starting to look less and less likely.

From how I see things, it looked like the purpose of KIDS was a government experiment to see if it were possible to use Psi energy to bring about an evolution for humanity. I could speculate on the results of the experiment, but that could be a spoiler for events seen later in the series. So I'll refrain from discussion on the speculation for now.

BrothersElric wrote:
I was starting to get a little bit confused by all these new characters that seemed to be getting introduced left and right in episode 7, but by the end of the episode I pretty much came to the conclusion that all of them are Knights. Now I don't know what happened to Mika in episode 5 (at first I thought Lain was responsible, especially after her reaction to that figure standing by the door, which I assumed was telling us that she could see Mika's consciousness form, but then again I guess that's still within the realm of possibility Wink ) but I assume it has something to do with the Knights. I say that because I noticed (my overanalyzing may have actually payed off this time Wink ) that when it happened, she's kind of silhouetted by the exact same symbol that was on the chip and on that crazy guy's visor at the end of episode 7, which once again, I assume each event had to do with the Knights.

With Mika, the Knights could have been using her as a guinea pig for testing out whatever information they obtained from Project KIDS.

As for what happened to the guy at the end of episode 7, I'm guessing he learned too much about the Knights and they had to silence him. He seemed to find out the wild Lain and the Knights were connected to each other somehow yet he assumed this Lain and the normal Lain were one and the same. With events in the next set of episodes, I can finally unveil just what the true nature of the wild Lain really is.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

Really? Confused So far the only thing I've seen in the entire series pertaining to that was that scene where the guy is hitting on the housewife, but other than that, nothing really.... Although I wouldn't be too surprised if it was something that TOTALLY wen over my head. I'm one who never looks at anything pervertedly, after all. Wink

Mika getting dressed at her boyfriend's place at the start of episode 5. It's a little sneaky the way it was shown though, as you don't see the guy until after she's completely dressed again, and the lack of interaction and emotion between them doesn't give any impression that they just had sex. I'm sure that scene says LOADS about both her character and human nature in general, but I'm lost on exactly what.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
You were pretty much on the borderline of spoiling events that take place later in the series. So, try keeping your temptations under control until the conclusion of the series. Laughing

Hey, at least all I said was that it had to do with the spoiler. I never said whether she is or isn't the Deus being. Wink You are right though, I knew what I was getting into and I did the very best I could not to spoil anything, and even still I came dangerously close there. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Quote:
From how I see things, it looked like the purpose of KIDS was a government experiment to see if it were possible to use Psi energy to bring about an evolution for humanity

Well that much at least made sense to me. And from what you're saying about what the Knights are planing to do with the information it's possible involvement in future episodes seems to make a lot more sense to me now as well. What's left is what this has anything to do with "suicides" or "the game the kids are playing." But actually, AG helped clear the latter part up for me a bit in her above post about how the project seems to be in the disguise of a popular kids game or something, so I think I get that better now (thanks AG, that was an obvious thing that went totally over my head the first time around Anime smile + sweatdrop ). But I swear I can't seem to figure out what any of this has to do with anyone committing suicide.... Confused The only think I can figure out is that Chisa, as well as all the other suicides just like hers that have happened up to this point have all been subject to the KIDS experiments, which I think makes enough sense to me.

Quote:
With Mika, the Knights could have been using her as a guinea pig for testing out whatever information they obtained from Project KIDS.

As for what happened to the guy at the end of episode 7, I'm guessing he learned too much about the Knights and they had to silence him. He seemed to find out the wild Lain and the Knights were connected to each other somehow yet he assumed this Lain and the normal Lain were one and the same.

Yeah, this all is what I naturally assumed myself. Although I hadn't thought of the possibility of them doing it because he found out too much. I just thought they offed him because he was just some idiot who was getting too much in the way of their plans because of his obsession with them. But that definitely makes sense that he'd found out too much. I was kind of wondering why Lain kept on showing up in his visor like that. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Mika getting dressed at her boyfriend's place at the start of episode 5. It's a little sneaky the way it was shown though, as you don't see the guy until after she's completely dressed again, and the lack of interaction and emotion between them doesn't give any impression that they just had sex. I'm sure that scene says LOADS about both her character and human nature in general, but I'm lost on exactly what.

And yet another obvious thing that went right over my head! Anime smile + sweatdrop (just comes to show you yet again how much of a prude I am. Razz ) Actually, in fact I barley even recall that scene. I know it happened, I just pushed it aside as something that didn't seem to have any importance at all. But then again, this is Lain we're talking about here, this series is infamous for doing stuff like that to us. Wink

Thing is though, that's only one of 2 things I've seen this entire series that's had anything to do with sex, or at least that I've noticed anyways (well, at least the other one anyways Anime smile + sweatdrop ).
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Daaaaaarn it. I want to add on to that idea of Deus' relation to Lain, but he TOTALLY hasn't shown up yet...

And as I can't remember what snippets have and haven't been shown yet as far as sexual suggestiveness goes, there may be more to come. The point is that as sterile as this story is, the writers seem to place as much emphasis on physical human relationships as they can for reasons that will only become obvious near the end.

Mika's fate always puzzled me as well, but I like to think of it not as "Mika going nuts," but more like "Mika breaking down." It seems odd to me in that scene with the boyfriend how cold she is, considering her snotty, hot-blooded teenager appearance in most other scenes. The fact may be, considering the eventual roles of Lain's parents, that Mika isn't an entirely normal entity herself...

I prefer to think she's not real, but some kind of fleshed out intelligence avatar that just breaks down and gets absorbed into the Wired when the time has come.

I don't think that's a spoiler, as it's never really proven, and we know already now that Mika is ooooooover the deep end.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Concerning Mika, I've got a theory:

Working on the assumption that Yasuo and Miho are basically constructs put into place by....someone to take care of Lain in the real world, perhaps Mika is also a construct designed to give Lain more of a family experience. However, we notice that she's inquisitive; she asks what Lain is up to, who she's talking to, and even asks her parents if they've noticed the change in Lain. Maybe whoever is pulling the strings behind the whole setup decided that Mika was asking too many questions; the 'fullfil the prophecy!' and 'the other side is overcrowded' messages could have been cryptic warnings meaning "Keep your mind on the job, big sister-bot! You have no purpose other than Lain!". Ultimately Mika couldn't do this and was replaced with the slack-jawed messy hair version. Seriously, look at the hair; it's just as raggedy and tangly as Miho's is during her closeups.

Just a thought.

Oh yes, thought I'd say something about Nezumi, since there hasn't been much discussion on him: A commentary on religion, perhaps? "I'll believe whatever you want me to believe" "I've found you" "Give me a reason to exist" "Make me one of you". It would appear that the Knights are actually some kind of cult formed around the concept of this God of the Wired. Maybe this means that Lain is some kind of Christ figure.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
OK, I just finished finally watching episodes 1-7. It's been a trip thus far and I LOVE it. I look forward to joining the discussion from here on out.

HellKorn wrote:
And holy shit: your avatar is awesome. Where did you find that pic of the Medicine Seller?

Glad to hear that you liked it. Smile That avatar was cropped from a fantastic wallpaper I found on animepaper.net.

Murasakisuishou wrote:
Concerning Mika, I've got a theory:

Working on the assumption that Yasuo and Miho are basically constructs put into place by....someone to take care of Lain in the real world, perhaps Mika is also a construct designed to give Lain more of a family experience. However, we notice that she's inquisitive; she asks what Lain is up to, who she's talking to, and even asks her parents if they've noticed the change in Lain. Maybe whoever is pulling the strings behind the whole setup decided that Mika was asking too many questions; the 'fullfil the prophecy!' and 'the other side is overcrowded' messages could have been cryptic warnings meaning "Keep your mind on the job, big sister-bot! You have no purpose other than Lain!". Ultimately Mika couldn't do this and was replaced with the slack-jawed messy hair version. Seriously, look at the hair; it's just as raggedy and tangly as Miho's is during her closeups.

After reading your thoughts on this, it makes a heck of a lot of sense to me. Mika got too concerned with what was going on with Lain. So, whoever is behind the scenes tried to tell her that she was overstepping her bounds. She didn't listen and was "punished" for her actions. Now she's even worse off as a result.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8