• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Heroic Age Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Isn't this more of Bandai's type of thing?

Bandai seems to like mecha but more importantly they like Sunrise, but this is a Xebec title, not Sunrise, so its not something that would be an "automatic" Bandai title. Geneon had Fafner and ADV had Eva and a number of super-robot titles. So while its not unreasonable to think Bandai might have an interest in this series, there is no reason to assume they would be the ones to get it.

Quote:
Looks interesting, but I have too much on my plate to be going for another NGE/Fafner/Rah clone. Maybe if there is nothing else it is something I will check out, or if it gets awesome reviews and nice previews.

From what I hear, Heroic Age is a space opera. NGE, Fafner, and Rahxephon are not space operas by any stretch. They all take place on earth but Heroic Age is an interplanetary possibly intergalactic affair. The only similarity between Heroic Age and those titles is that it apparently has giant robots (though I don't recall any from the bit I saw). I'd say it has no more in common with Eva and Fafner than it does with Gundam or Godannar. It probably has more in common with Macross and Galaxy Express than any of the aforementioned titles.

I've only skimmed the first episode and it didn't particularly interest me (though that's a really bad way to test a series and I don't do it anymore) but someone with similar tastes to me really loved it, so I'll almost certainly be getting the DVDs regardless of how they are released.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
From what I hear, Heroic Age is a space opera. NGE, Fafner, and Rahxephon are not space operas by any stretch. They all take place on earth but Heroic Age is an interplanetary possibly intergalactic affair. The only similarity between Heroic Age and those titles is that it apparently has giant robots (though I don't recall any from the bit I saw). I'd say it has no more in common with Eva and Fafner than it does with Gundam or Godannar. It probably has more in common with Macross and Galaxy Express than any of the aforementioned titles.

Ah, so I've been told. Wink Nah, really that was just the impression I got when I read the article, the ANN summary, and the art that I found when I did a search. To me, it just fit in that mold. With everything pseudo the same, but just in a different place with a different name. In other words, I didn't know anything about it before hand. But hey, that's good to hear. If it does turn out to be more space opera-esque, then I will be infinitely more interested in the show. Since those shows are almost always usually right up my alley.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I have seen the series and loved it. There's just not enough heavy Greek mythology influence in anime these days I think.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:28 am Reply with quote
Seeing as how I'm a fan of Hisashi Hirai's character designs, I'll be buying this series no matter what other anime it draws comparisons to, or how it's released.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:00 am Reply with quote
How does Hirai keep getting work, with those godwful character designs of his? Gundam SEED/Destiny, Fafner, and this, too? It's a good thing SEED is so popular, despite all logic against it, because that will probably get people to watch simply looking at those generic character designs. It's too bad Hirai only knows how to draw one kind of face, and then just changes the hair (and sometimes, not even that). Even Leiji Matsumoto, who's often accused of having too streamlined a style, has more variety than that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sarsman45

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:03 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I've only skimmed the first episode and it didn't particularly interest me (though that's a really bad way to test a series and I don't do it anymore) but someone with similar tastes to me really loved it, so I'll almost certainly be getting the DVDs regardless of how they are released.

It probably be one of those animes that you have to watch almost all the way through to fully understand and truly love the show. I love the music though!
DirtnSky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:07 am Reply with quote
Heroic Age does what so many fail to do in science fiction. Being EPIC. Gainex gave it a go with the original series of Gunbuster at its last episode, but failed to show it in motion. They tried to insinuate it as a ancient historical scene of pictures you'd see in a museum or in you history class at high-school. Not even that wreck of a series of hack flicks of the new Star Wars couldn't even touch it! Heck, the last time I saw such battles where in the TV show called Babylon 5 back in the mid '90s and even that didn't reach the Space Opera feel I have always yearned for since my time over the books of the Lensmen Saga by E.E. Doc Smith!

This show has it all! Warring Gods, Advanced Races battling across the galaxy, love and lost. When the main female protagonist shows up, I can feel the electricity of her over everyone. Her speeches bringing many to tears of joy of which I also shared. The anger- no, Rage of both God sides as they fought was thrilling. The thousands of ships firing at each other and the destruction of planets. All of which I could never get enough of thru all the episodes.

The Japanese cast was pitch perfect and I wonder if I'll every feel that way with the American dubbing. Aside that, Funi~ does have a decent track with most of its' work so I really shouldn't be too worried. I will buy this and despair till the next release, it deserves my attention. This type of show in my opinion was a true anomaly for Japanese anime now with its fetish of moe and off putting "humor" and was an amazing surprise for me when I began to watch it. 2009 isn't coming damn near fast enough for me now!
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:05 am Reply with quote
ShugoYotsuba wrote:
Man, FUNimation stole one from Bandai, Well then again this is what Bandai gets for stealing from ADV Films..............................

And Bandai is laughing all the way to the bank with GL which will sell more than Heroic Age. Wink
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Isn't this more of Bandai's type of thing? FUNimation is grabbing a bunch of anime this year. Or what I mean to say is I hope that this year doesn't come back and bite them in the foot later.

Like ADV of a few years ago? Laughing

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
The fact that FUNimation chose to announce the license for this show before AX and not during it probably means that they won't be announcing any new licenses at the actual convention and instead, are planning to run license themed panels instead. Confused

Cons really have ceased to be the licensing podium of years past. Companies now make announcements at the time and place of their choosing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2