• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Liyin Liang, Anime Expo Convention Chairperson

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Vekou: If it was really that awful, you might want to consider a dermatologist.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I most certainly hope that this year will be a big step up from what it was last year, me and my colleagues were not so happy with the outcome. This year I am planning on commuting, since I'll have school starting the day after it all ends. This year I plan on just looking to see how it will do versus being totally involved with what's going on, and see how involved I'll be with the event for next year's AX.
Vekou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Vekou: If it was really that awful, you might want to consider a dermatologist.

It was that awful. I've been to dermatologists since then.
strahl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
AX 2001: LEGENDARY!!

AX 2002: FOR THE AGES, EPIC!!

AX 2003: I missed it..LOL

AX 2004: fun but missing a few key ingredients of the old cons
AX 2005: So, so, nothing to write home about, Naruto was peak, also the industry started to show ownership of the show.

AX 2006: boring, missing a lot of what the Expo was known to be, also more "new poser fans" and less of the classic fans and events.

AX 2007: A nightmare, horrible, besides a few small points you can see the awful management and horrendous decisions from the SPJA new members fans were mistreated, guest of honor were mistreated (Halko momoi...a first in AX!!) and this is my last ANIME EXPO on my life that I will assist, I am bidding farewell to AX and
I am going to San diego Comic con this year AND PMX (with the original staff of anime expo)

so in a personal note, I am not saying that you should not go, but this is my personal choice as why I am not going anymore.
I hope it get back on the fans since ANIME EXPO doesnt show unlicensed stuff animore and even tried to sue fans inside the convention.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Vekou: Sorry. I hope you didn't get melanoma or something...[I'm serious.] I had some nasty burns from a beach when I was a kid which took months to heal, which is partly why I don't try to expose my body too much to the heat nowadays. [Though I'm fairly lazy about sunscreen.] I've never had to wait that long @ AX, so if it's as bad as you described, they must've completely blown it that year. You might even consider legal action.
Vekou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote
GATSU, I've thought about it, but I didn't take any pictures of myself or anything at the time. I don't really have any proof of what happened, so I would have a very weak case. I've had to have a few moles removed (on my back, probably unrelated to AX) and I am at a high risk for skin cancer, but I'm gotten lucky so far.

Strahl, that's a great post. I've only been going to AX since '02 but I have noticed that as the years have gone by, the enjoyability slightly decreases. I don't want to be all elitist and say something like "AX has gotten too big/mainstream" or anything, but, well... it's getting to that point, and the con staff seems ill-equipped to deal with the growing crowds.

But I'm not blaming it solely on the staff. The other attendees have become quite intolerable as well. Inappropriate outbursts and stupid questions at panels really get on my nerves. (And at screenings, the audience is always really loud but it's no worse than going to a big movie on opening night, so that's okay). But I think the worst thing yet was the constant heckling and verbal harassment at Maaya Sakamoto's concert in '05. I really hope she didn't hear those people. I felt so bad for her...
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:49 am Reply with quote
Vekou: Well, I'm glad it didn't end up getting that bad. Good luck.
kenshin77

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:38 am Reply with quote
As an AX Veteran (this is going to be my 9th Anime Expo), I was disappointed with how last years expo went. Registration lines were long, and disorganized. Guests of honor were stuck up (Skin and SOS) and did not care about their fans, while others were mistreated (Halko Momoi). I feel that AX has lost a lot of its reputation from Anime fans and maybe potential Japanese guests. I hope that this years Anime Expo can pull itself together and try to regain its reputation that they have lost.
strahl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
to second that:

For someone that:

-has sit down, shaken hands and ask face to face questions to the creator of rurouni kenshin.

-Meet, shaken hands and ask even more question to Haruiko mikimoto, thge only person on earth that can make me weep like a little girl

-Has shared a few laughs and silly moments with the voice of ah my goddess (Inoue Kikuko)

-Joked around with the creator of city hunter, and got a few voice acting direction from the voice of Kenshiro....

-got pictures, autographs and camera interviews with Shoji Kawamori, the current producer of macross frontier and some other legends....

You, as an attending artist of AX, YOU ARE NOT GONNA PUT YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR @SS THERE!!! IF YOU GO, MEET THE FANS!!!

The CLAMP GROUP, the SOS dan voice group and SKIN are not that important for them to act like big superstars there, those four CLAMP ladies went there and with all the security and
"keep them away please" attitude of them, why the hell they bring artists like that!!! the SOS DAN, who knew them before that darned Haruhi suzumiya anime? and they came and spit on their own fans on their face, autographs my ass, bring back PLEASE!!! the serious authors and artists that want to share with the fans.

Anyone remembers the legendary marathon of Tomokazu seki that spent 3 hours meeting fans and signing autographs until the AX staff itself had to close the line? did you ever notice that none of the celebrities that assist to the AX and meet the fans had never been mugged or mistreated?

But no, AX has to bring the little nobody hotshots that step on the fans, Gackt will never be david bowie or rod steward,
Aya Hirano will never be britney spears or lindsay Lohan, so again, I still believe that bringing Clamp, SKIN and the SOS DAN was a failure, not because they are not talented, is because they dont give a damn about their fans, they dont have the humility to say face to face "thanks, here is an autograph, or a handshake that you can tape" S.K.I.N deserved a paid concert on themselves, outside Anime expo, something that goes for at least two hours or your money back, The SOS dan...really nothing great about them (as convention guests) and clamp...a waste of time, they didn't even said anything about X anyway, so what do you need them for anyway?

AX, concentrate on make the fans meet the artists and creators, make a policy that every guest at least have to be there for an hour or so, the 15 minutes of autographs for the SOS DAN deplorable...such disrespect to the fans...

AND Halko momoi....The only one that came up front and meet the fans...and they screwed her show.

On a side note: the AX masquerade is a big arrangement, there's a little mafia inside that reserves the best spots to the same cosplay groups and mismanages the slots, and ofcourse someone final fantasy or kingdom hearts always have to win regardless of the good works of other groups, instead of pre screen and "audition" the cosplay participants to present the best of the best (something that comic con does) they just open for the same hour at the same day at the same time, a hundred or so called "first come first serve" slots and at the end, always the same groups misteriously "makes it" or they have a "special entry" for me is the shadiest part of the con, I always said it...The anime expo masquerade is FIXED!!!
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
strahl wrote:
this is my last ANIME EXPO on my life that I will assist, I am bidding farewell to AX and
I am going to San diego Comic con this year AND PMX (with the original staff of anime expo)

As if PMX is any better. Laughing

I staffed for them for two years, never again.
xstylus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:06 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
BTW, if they really wanna improve their con, it'd be nice if they didn't wait until the last minute to announce their last guest.

Sometimes it can't be helped. Japanese folk are workaholics. Their schedules are rather convoluted to the point where they're not entirely certain they can attend until practically the last minute, so seeing a last minute announcement doesn't surprise me at all.
strahl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote
is PMX that bad? just trying for a new experience...was it really bad?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2