• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha to Publish, Sell Manga in U.S. in September

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Hopefully, they'll be better off than Raijin. And, of course, everyone is hoping they'll bring back Sailor Moon.

If they bring back SM, I swear I will DIE from happiness.
Crawly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Hopefully, they'll be better off than Raijin. And, of course, everyone is hoping they'll bring back Sailor Moon.

If they bring back SM, I swear I will DIE from happiness.

I'd hold off on that until you see a translation. Should it ever happen, it's a crap shoot whether or not it would be better than the one released by TP. While I'd happily welcome Kodansha into the market, I'm always a little worried when a Japanese company comes stateside. Let's face it, they really don't have a good record for producing quality products in R1 regardless of how great they may be in R2. The only company to get this right so far is Kodakawa, and that's because they're letting the established R1 companies do all the work for them. I'm going to be cautiously optimistic that something good will come from this, but until I see the finished product, I'm viewing their entry into the market with trepidation.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
But, unlike DVDs, manga is CHEAPER in Japan than it is in the US. Much cheaper, actually. Most manga are around 500 yen, less than $5, whereas manga in the US averages $10.

Also, Japanese manga tends to be printed on higher quality paper with slipcovers and color page inserts as well.

It's quite possible that they will not produce product just like Japan though, since by the wording of things it looks like they'll be using local printing... But in any case, price is NOT something that you should be worrying about.
Translation and editing, on the other hand.... we'll see.

I just really hope they consider publishing some of their manga magazines like afternoon or morning here, maybe 1-2 months delayed from the Japanese one. That would be totally awesome.

I know manga is cheaper in Japan. I said I'd prefer it if they priced it closer to a Japanese price point in this case, but for all we know they might see a CPM release or an old Viz graphic novel and decide that $12-16 is the going rate in the U.S..
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Dallas Middaugh clears up Del Rey's position in this a bit. Kodansha will not be taking away any of their licenses.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Dallas Middaugh clears up Del Rey's position in this a bit. Kodansha will not be taking away any of their licenses.

Good good. xxxHOLiC and Tsubasa through Del Ray it is then.

Sailor Moon please, Kodansha.....
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Almost a decade ago, Kodansha experimented with a line of Kodansha Bilingual Comics that included CLAMP's Cardcaptor Sakura, Ken Akamatsu's Love Hina, and Yōzaburō Kanari and Fumiya Sato's The New Kindaichi Files (Kindaichi Case Files). Kodansha stopped publishing those titles when Tokyopop licensed the right to publish English editions of many of them.

I have the 6 bilingual volumes of Cardcaptors and the 2 volumes of Chobits and I'm sure they were available at the same time as the Tokyopop versions.

Ryusui wrote:
I have a bad feeling about this. Remember what happened the last time a Japanese company set up shop in a U.S. market?

Overpriced, under-translated titles. I'm talking, of course, about Bandai Visual USA. And Shogakukan, a.k.a ShoPro? Before the merger with the already-established Viz, they were turning out "gems" like "Megaman NT Warrior". Anime hyper#

The Kodansha bilinguals I have seemed OK to me translation-wise, and also had better paper and print quality.

Here's some basic comparisons of Chobits as I happen to have all three versions of the first two volumes:
http://picasaweb.google.com/shirobane/Chobits
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

Which is great because that means Negima, Kujibiki Unbalance, Tsubasa Chronicals and other successful manga series will continue.

As long as Del Ray is doing fine, that is all I care about on this issue.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I still think it's very strange for Kodansha to be doing this (and really not the best timing-wise), but at least it's been confirmed that they wouldn't screw Del Rey over (which, as I said in the thread when the rumor first surfaced, would be really dumb considering that Kodansha and Random House, which owns Del Rey, have substantial business ties with each other which is why I assume Del Rey has so many Kodansha licenses).

I highly doubt we'll see any drastic difference in quality or price because they are a Japanese company. There are reasons for the other companies using the manga format they have now and those reasons will apply to any new company opening up, regardless of their origin. The North American market is different from the Japanese one.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi+e-imi: I'm hoping they'll take a chance on 3x3 Eyes.

Crawly: Actually, Gutsoon and Bandai Visual had quality products, just a limited understanding of the American market.
Masura

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I hope they republish Sailor Moon!

Out of all the series I hope that most of all.
Crawly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Here's some basic comparisons of Chobits as I happen to have all three versions of the first two volumes:
http://picasaweb.google.com/shirobane/Chobits

Just from those few shots it seems there were some pretty drastic differences in translation/localization. I preferred the one I believe is TP's since the color pages look so bad when converted to black and white. Not being able to understand Japanese, I have no idea which one was the more accurate translation, though.
Crawly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Crawly: Actually, Gutsoon and Bandai Visual had quality products, just a limited understanding of the American market.

Not familiar at all with Gutsoon. BV did have good quality, I agree, but so did Toei in the audio/video aspect of their releases (as well as high episode counts and low price point). BV's pricing and episode counts, along with a refusal to include English dubs on shows that could afford them, put them on my failure list. They're just not a company I want anyone trying to emulate.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:36 pm Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:

I think that's really bad business practice. Del Rey is part of a huge company and I don't think Kodansha wants to tread on too many toes, considering them just entering the playing field.

Those were exactly the reasons I didn't think Kodansha would do that unless they were insane, but Japanese companies sometimes do strange things when they try entering the U.S. market themselves. While it remains to be seen what Kodansha will do, Del Rey has at least confirmed that Kodansha isn't completely insane. Thankfully, I just had a brainfart and misread and misinterpreted what that line said.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Maybe now we'll finally get an official English version of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.

Methinks the majority of American manga readers are not yet ready to consume most titles in Afternoon and Ikki, two of my most favorite manga magazines.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Methinks the majority of American manga readers are not yet ready to consume most titles in Afternoon and Ikki, two of my most favorite manga magazines.

Genshiken went over pretty well, didn't it? I mean, it's no Naruto or whatever the kids are reading these days, but amongst people with taste. . . . Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5