• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha to Publish, Sell Manga in U.S. in September

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Judging by Garo's description I'd say Ikki is more experimental than Afternoon but less so than Garo. You can check it out here.

Thaks for the link. Ikki definitely looks interesting (is that Koji Aihara and Kentaro Takekuma?).

Quote:
as far as I know Sexy Voice and Robo is the only Ikki title that has been licensed in North America.

According to the English wikipedia article, No. 5 by Taiyo Matsumoto is also from Ikki.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
kirbyboy102 wrote:
In america, people don't like reading, so the price of books goes up because of this lack of general purchases. Especially with limited readership books, such as manga and manhwa.

Don't like reading? Bah. Though I guess now we have another publisher waiting for the fourth generation e-book readers that can do more than just text.

nhat wrote:
2 million eh? I hope they can manage that well because that can be used up very quickly. Logistics such as overhead for building, publishing, employees, etc, etc.

... and in New York City no less.

rankothefiremage wrote:
since Kodansha has such a backlog of titles in Japan they can make more money faster even with having to share with Del, if both are publishing at the same time.

Speaking strictly as to the release model, the rapid-fire-at-will approach didn't work too well for the folks at TP.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:38 am Reply with quote
kirbyboy102 wrote:
I mean, in japan books are easier to sell, so they're cheaper. In america, people don't like reading, so the price of books goes up because of this lack of general purchases. Especially with limited readership books, such as manga and manhwa.

Plus, you have to take into account that North America is a heck of a lot physically bigger than Japan, which means that shipping books to stores is going to cost a lot more, which again makes publishing manga here more expensive (it's also what makes publishing period in Canada more expensive than in the US, because the Canadian population is smaller but more spread out in general, so you have to send less books farther).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5