• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Reveals Honneamise Lineup

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping this isn't just a case of Bandai Japan trying to force their over-priced merchandise onto Bandai Entertainment without actually giving the latter company any leeway on how to sell or market it.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Whee! Haruka's on the list! Allelujah! I wonder if it'll be dubbed? My favorite anime! If it DOES get dubbed, I hope Crispin Freeman gets the part of Yorihisa! He'd be perfect! Very Happy

These are just relistings of titles Bandai Visual USA has already released- I'm guessing if Bandai Ent. does anything with Haruka, it'll simply be finishing off it's subtitled release [same with Super Robot Wars]. These aren't new dvd's or repackagings, just BE selling/distributing BVUSA's existing stock- the bonus of this is that these titles were mostly something you could only find at select retailers and some online sites. Having BE distribute them makes them MUCH easier to find/order, and while there'll be no drop in MSRP, I imagine sales might be a little easier to come by.

It looks like they snagged the small range of Geneon distribute titles BVUSA released [Gunbuster II, Enma and Wings of Rean], which is nice.

I'm also guessing the reason we don't see the Patlabor movies and original Gunbuster among the listings is that they may still be under contract for distribution with Image Entertainment.

What'll be better to watch is what Bandai Ent. does with the unreleased licenses, and if they ever do any repackagings/rereleases in the future. Until then, I imagine there's a lot of existing stock, and assorted ties with whatever remains of BVUSA and their plans for these specific titles [I doubt we'll see any of this affect pricing on BE's own titles, which are generally pretty low priced].
Crawly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
What'll be better to watch is what Bandai Ent. does with the unreleased licenses, and if they ever do any repackagings/rereleases in the future.

This is what I'm waiting for. If Bandai Ent is able to handle these titles on their own, we'll likely see some "silver label" repackaging with a more reasonable price tag. Of course, they need to milk the obsessives first. I mean, if you've got folks willing to pay the price they are for a nine disc release on Haruka, might as well take it and get rid of the stock BVUSA left them with. Same with the other titles. Very Happy
ruro niko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
No...Gunbuster? I hope Bandai Ent has something up their sleeves for Gunbuster because leaving it out, especially while getting Diebuster, is saddening. I want my Gunbuster/Diebuster OVA box set someday, Bandai Ent. Please don't disappoint.
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Dang, no price change on any of these. I was hoping they would drop the price on Gunbuster 2. Guess this means I'll just have to keep waiting for the next Bandai sale, cause there is no way in hell I'm going to pay over $100 for a 6 episode series.
Considering how cheap the average fan is nowadays (dur, why buy it, I'll just download it!), they were nuts if they were thinking most fans were willing to pay those kind of prices to begin with.
Jih2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably the only one who has no problem with these prices, mostly because I'm not a huge fan of most of the stuff listed but there are 3-4 items I plan on picking up at some point. I'm glad we have a high quality section still available to those willing to spend the cash and boy am I glad I bought Gunbuster 1 and 2 months ago!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
GATSU wrote:
I hope we'll be seeing price drops soon.

Ha, in this economy? I highly doubt that. We are in a bad resession.

I didn't see Lucky Star there anywhere though.

Lucky Star is a Bandai Entertainment title, so it's uninvolved in this relisting-
What this is is Bandai Ent. taking over distribution of Honneamise/Bandai Visual USA's properties, BVUSA being a seperate company with the same parent company back in Japan.

Confusing, but basically, any Bandai Ent. titles will just keep going as is.....

Thank you explaining that to me. As long as Lucky Star is still being releashed, that is all I need to know.

We are in a bad recession people, I don't expect prices to drop, I see them to increase instead.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
This is good news, I am willing to pay their price on titles that I think are worth it. But I am still going to shoot for the best price possible.

For the titles that I was on the fence about, the new distribution should at least ensure the titles get on Netflix (which stopped cold with the BVU titles folling Geneon's departure) so I can legally sample the titles before deeming them worthy of premium pricing.
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Glad to see THEY'RE STILL CHARGING THE JAPANESE PRICES.

While we were glad to see that the former BV titles are going to remain on the market (and that Haruka and the others will be completed), we were disappointed to see the MSRP on these remain the same. ~sigh~ Confused

I think it likely that BE is inheriting the inventory and pricing structure from BV (probably at the behest of the Japanese parent company) but I think that we may see some of these end up getting re-released in the future as less expensive boxed sets a few months from now - perhaps after all the current excess inventory is sold down. BE will give the titles much better distribution and market penetration - so at least more retailers will be buying them. Wink BV's wholesale distribution was a total disaster - ordering inventory from them was like running a three legged race... down an escalator...

Bob (aka Robert)
The Anime Corner Store
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
AnimeCornerStore wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Glad to see THEY'RE STILL CHARGING THE JAPANESE PRICES.

While we were glad to see that the former BV titles are going to remain on the market (and that Haruka and the others will be completed), we were disappointed to see the MSRP on these remain the same. ~sigh~ Confused

I think it likely that BE is inheriting the inventory and pricing structure from BV (probably at the behest of the Japanese parent company) but I think that we may see some of these end up getting re-released in the future as less expensive boxed sets a few months from now - perhaps after all the current excess inventory is sold down. BE will give the titles much better distribution and market penetration - so at least more retailers will be buying them. Wink BV's wholesale distribution was a total disaster - ordering inventory from them was like running a three legged race... down an escalator...

Bob (aka Robert)
The Anime Corner Store

My understanding of sales is sometimes companies give the store a cut so they store can offer the sale. I always preordered BV titles from your competition(sorry) because BV never went on sale.
Isn't it possible even if there isn't a price cut, they will be included in sales now? If so that $50 SRW would drop to $27 at Right Stuf combined with the usual sale.
It's a small thing for some consumers to hope for. I've already pre-ordered Haruka thru the final volume (got it down to $18 per volume) & SRW thru 8 (been worried about 9)
There are a lot of whiners about BV prices, but I have been worried Bandai taking over would mean a drop in the quality. I watched Haruka vol 2 over the weekend & was totally happy with it. Maybe because I pay a bit more for these dvds, I set aside time I can totally devote to watching them uninterrupted.
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Bandai Ent. must learn from the liquidation of Bandai Visual that the sales model in Japan does not work here. I like Bandai Ent the way it is now; they charge a decent price for a good product, nothing needs to change. I think if the drop the MSRP of the Honneamise titles, they'll see a dramatic increase in sales of those items, as they are probably coveted by many more less than "crazy Honneamise fans".
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Dang, no price change on any of these. I was hoping they would drop the price on Gunbuster 2. Guess this means I'll just have to keep waiting for the next Bandai sale, cause there is no way in hell I'm going to pay over $100 for a 6 episode series.
Considering how cheap the average fan is nowadays (dur, why buy it, I'll just download it!), they were nuts if they were thinking most fans were willing to pay those kind of prices to begin with.

Doesn't anyone complaining about the price for Diebuster here know that the entire thing would have cost $300 in Japan? That's $50 per episode. We got a real steal by comparison. And anyway, OVAs should be more expensive than TV episodes. They cost significantly more to make on a per episode basis.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
I'd just like to get a regular DVD copy of Wings of the Honneamise, perhaps my favorite anime movie of all time, without having to spend more than fifty dollars. I guess that's too much to ask.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Panon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
Xenofan 29A wrote:
Doesn't anyone complaining about the price for Diebuster here know that the entire thing would have cost $300 in Japan?

Everybody knows, but nobody cares because it is in fact completely irrelevant.

We're not Japan.
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
Xenofan 29A wrote:
Quark wrote:

Doesn't anyone complaining about the price for Diebuster here know that the entire thing would have cost $300 in Japan? That's $50 per episode. We got a real steal by comparison. And anyway, OVAs should be more expensive than TV episodes. They cost significantly more to make on a per episode basis.

Yes, but I don't live in Japan. As such, I am used to R1 pricing. Other companies are releasing series, with six episodes a disk, that cost on average about $10 less than what Bandai Visual is trying to charge for two episodes a disk. Not only that, but Diebuster has no dub, and no extras. In comparison to other R1 anime DVDs, this series should cost about $25 a disk - MAX.
When I can buy a 26 episode series that has a dub, that has extras, and possibly an art box for approximately half the price of what Bandai Visual is charging for 6 measly episodes, no dub, no extras, and no art box, I'm going to gripe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3