• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X-Button: A Bold, Daring Dream

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CloakBass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
````````````

Last edited by CloakBass on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
i dont get it, what is going to be so special about this Chrono Trigger port??
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
cool3865 wrote:
i don't get it, what is going to be so special about this Chrono Trigger port??

Dude, it's Chrono Trigger. If you don't get that, maybe gaming just isn't your thing.

Very Happy
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
cool3865 wrote:

You can play it on a current system without nasty load times. Also, there will apparently be an extra dungeon. Thankfully, it looks like it will remain 2D rather than make it mediocre 3D like FFIII and FFIVDS. I can deal with those graphics for remakes of a NES game I never played or a SNES game I wasn't particularly attached to, but I'd hate to see Chrono Trigger or FF6 (whenever Square gets around to it) get that treatment.

Personally, I'd prefer a PSN download remade with higher resolution (preferably HD) sprites, but I'll take what I can get. Besides, I'll play it much sooner if its portable than if I had to wait until I cleaned out my console backlog. Anyway, its coming out in North America sometime in the Holiday season (I'd assume December), so it's coming here soon. I wasn't expecting it until a good way into next year so I was pleased to see such a quick turnaround.

As for the Castlevania fighting game, I saw some screenshots and character designs. I didn't recognize Maria at first. She's wearing pink rather than her traditional green and its, uh, different. Kind of magical girl-ish. And then there's Simon, who looks like a gothic male prostitute.
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
cool3865 wrote:

Dude, it's Chrono Trigger. If you don't get that, maybe gaming just isn't your thing.

Very Happy

i have it for my SNES but i dont see the point in buying it again just to play it on the road
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, like in my case, my SNES no longer functions, not to mention none of the controllers were working right even when it did still function when it last worked. I'm not going to go find an old system on EBay or wherever when I can get an official quality rerelease for a current system I already own.

Yours work, and that's great, but that's not the case for most I would guess. So this presents itself as another option for people who still enjoy the game but don't want to go through the trouble of hooking up an obsolete system just to play it, or even finding a new system or even the old game itself if they no longer have it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Miitan wrote:
Seriously, games of today are too easy. Bring back the time when games were a challenge! (Although I'd probably buy it if they left it the same anyway)

Play the new Alone In The Dark, that should definately change your opinion about today's games being easy.
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Rayearth isn't thateasy! Okay, almost all of it is, but my God that final boss fight was a hair-puller. Also, given how utterly horrid the voice acting was (and I like dubs!), I can't complain about WD taking the rest of it out.

One thing I can say for the game, though, the plot's by and large better than the source material. It's a nice adaptation that minimizes the use of the more annoying characters (i.e. Ascot) and gives the better ones (Lafarga) more time, and the silly Working Designs translation doesn't impinge on the serious moments.
ilkz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Magic Knight Rayearth is amazing, I am not a fan of magic girl anime but that one earns my respect. The story was much more serious than things like Sailor Moon, their personality weren’t realistic but likable. However, the most radical difference comparer to shows like Sailor Moon is to completely eliminate the repeating transformation sequence that used to take out good chunk of show time. The story was cheesy and lighthearted, and hay everything makes sense in its own context. Also it has some most brilliant use of giant robot concept in history. I perfer this over the modern herm and moe.

Never played that game, but I liked the anime and manga a lot.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:05 am Reply with quote
Todd Ciolek wrote:
CASTLEVANIA MISSES FIGHTING-GAME CRAZE BY 14 YEARS

You are forgetting the 2003 Gamecube title DreamMix TV World Fighters that added the Sharp X68000 to PSX port version of Simon Belmon.Dream mix was a mash up of Hudson soft,Konami and TAKARA characters.

Todd Ciolek wrote:
Devoted Castlevania fans have been less than enthusiastic about this new Castlevania.
Try as they might,they can't make a serious fighter for the Wii.3D Castlevania games usually disappoint anyway.They don't capture the feel of the more familiar 2D titles.(The usual complaint)IMO the only fully 3D Castlevania that was semi-decent was the Curse of Darkness,and even that you would have to be a big fan of Castlevania 3 Dracula's Curse to really appreciate it.

Todd Ciolek wrote:
Or perhaps because devoted Castlevania fans are bitter
Ding!But I still collect every damn one of them,no matter how burned I get.

Todd Ciolek wrote:
Everyone knew Mega Man 9 was coming once those Australians leaked word of it, but few expected it to be a download-only title that looks just like one of the old NES games.
Got to love Capcom though,after about 105 something Megaman titles,they finally get back to 9.

Todd Ciolek wrote:
The other new character is Alex, the hulking blond grappler who CAPCOM debuted as the main character of Street Fighter III. He turned out to be that game's most boring cast member, but that hasn't stopped CAPCOM from sticking him in this Tatsunoko tribute, confident that somewhere, someone likes Alex.

and
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
Just chiming in to add another voice to the "Alex is awesome, what the hell are you talking about?" campaign. Have you ever played as him? He's one of the most interesting grapplers in Street Fighter lore, and I'm baffled that his character design would be seen as anything less than...at the very least...cool.
It's the first time I've heard of people using Alex beside the COM.The only grappler I respect is BAKI!

I have yet to find a good copy of Einhander.
Great shooter,you are right,a good copy is hard to come by.

Todd Ciolek wrote:
RARE OLD GAMES HIT PSN, BUT NOT OVER HERE
I just played Rakugaki Showtime a while ago,fun game.We need better PSN titles for the US PS3.PSX launch titles and cheesy GH's,don't cut it.

Primus wrote:
But hey, last time I played Chrono Triger it was on a PlayStation, a 32-bit console.
The only reason I picked up the PSX FF:Chroncles was for the added anime cut scenes.It had a bit of a hang up during battles though.The SNES cartridge still runs the best.I hope this port will have something new.Anything,damn it.

Chrno2 wrote:
After hearing about there being a game for 'Magic Knight Rayearth' I was actually interested in playing it but never owned a 'SS'. If they ever decide to give it a 2nd look and port it I'd pick it up.
R.I.P. Working Designs.I love my Saturn.It has so many great anime titles.Rayearth is still a fun action RPG.SD freaks and all.I really recommend getting a Saturn.

Chrno2 wrote:
Bastard game? OMG!! And of course they had no problem adapting her huge ASSETS. I never saw bastard.
Those assets belong to the hottie,Arshes Nei.I still own the VHS set.It came with 3 OVA's, with 2 episodes each.I highly recommend this too.It has a lot of great old RPG clichés.It's got to be on DVD.I never got into the manga either.

classicalzawa wrote:
I have CT for the PS1 but I never actually beat it
Get crackin,it's got 15 endings and the legendary New Game +.An excellent RPG from a legendary dream team.Chrono Trigger is the kind of game that is produced when developers care about what they make.Truly.That and the game cost me $90 when it was new.The bastards.I ain't letting it go.Ever.
P.S. Seiken Densetsu 2 would have been the greatest RPG(at the time)if the SNES CD(later becoming Kutaragi's Playstation) add on wasn't canceled.Mana was cut up when it was transfered to cartridge.

classicalzawa wrote:

because
a) halfway thru, I hated the ATB system I put on
Change it in the menu.
classicalzawa wrote:

because
b) the load times of the PS1 are annoying and makes me not want to play it sometimes
I understand.SNES still has the superior play(not counting the rom)I hope the DS has everything under control.I look forward to it.
classicalzawa wrote:
c) I havn't touched it in over 2 years at least at this point and thus have forgotten major story plot points.
It does take dedication the first play through.After you get New game +,the game cruises right by.Then you can prepare for the 14 other endings.

Chrno2 wrote:
As for the 'Tatsunoko' vs 'SF' game. I'll say one thing it looks 100% better than 'SFIV'.
I agree.

cool3865 wrote:
For me,It's another addition to my collection.SNES version,PSX version and now DS version.I'm just glad it's not on the PSP.(PSP needs better battery life).

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
In the history of Dragon Quest, there has NEVER been a single Dragon Quest game on hand held console before in the 20 years Dragon Quest has been around.
Easy Teriyaki,you are amongst the super elite.Here we go,Dragon Quest Handheld 98-07 Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland (JP, 09/25/98),Dragon Quest I + II (JP, 09/23/99),Dragon Quest III (JP, 12/08/00),Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Ruka no Tabadachi (JP, 03/09/01),Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru no Bouken (JP, 04/12/01),Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko no Daibouken 2 Advance (JP, 12/20/01),Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart (JP, 03/29/03),Slime Morimori Dragon Quest: Shougeki No Shippo Dan (JP, 11/14/03),Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko no Daibouken 3 Advance (JP, 06/24/04),Slime MoriMori: Dragon Quest 2 - Daisensha to Shippo Dan (JP, 12/01/05),Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable (JP 05/25/06),Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker(JP,12/28/06 ) and then Dragon Quest IV: Michibikareshi Monotachi (JP, 11/22/07).I didn't mention the handful of Mobile games that were released.(obviously,I'm a big supporter of Gamefaqs)I also love the hell out of Dragon Quest.

Todd Ciolek wrote:
HOKUTO NO KEN ONLINE,BASTARD!! ONLINE,UNIVERSAL CENTURY GUNDAM ONLINE
Sold out,cashed in,watered down.Got to love MMO's
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
In the history of Dragon Quest, there has NEVER been a single Dragon Quest game on hand held console before in the 20 years Dragon Quest has been around.

Quote:
Easy Teriyaki,you are amongst the super elite.Here we go,Dragon Quest Handheld 98-07 Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland (JP, 09/25/98),Dragon Quest I + II (JP, 09/23/99),Dragon Quest III (JP, 12/08/00),Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Ruka no Tabadachi (JP, 03/09/01),Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru no Bouken (JP, 04/12/01),Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko no Daibouken 2 Advance (JP, 12/20/01),Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart (JP, 03/29/03),Slime Morimori Dragon Quest: Shougeki No Shippo Dan (JP, 11/14/03),Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko no Daibouken 3 Advance (JP, 06/24/04),Slime MoriMori: Dragon Quest 2 - Daisensha to Shippo Dan (JP, 12/01/05),Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable (JP 05/25/06),Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker(JP,12/28/06 ) and then Dragon Quest IV: Michibikareshi Monotachi (JP, 11/22/07).I didn't mention the handful of Mobile games that were released.(obviously,I'm a big supporter of Gamefaqs)I also love the hell out of Dragon Quest.

Actually I meant on American hand held consoles, but I respect your knowledge of Dragon Quest. I didn't mean to get rilied up, but it sometimes happens when you like a video game series as much as I do. I will give you credit though, you sure know your sources for Dragon Quest, that is very admirable.

I also am glad Chrono Triger isn't in 3D either like the new Final Fantasy IV game. I remember playing that game on my Super Nintendo, My playstation two, since obviously it can play playstation one video games and I am eagerly waiting to buy the newest port for my DS.

In response to my comment about making the puzzels slightly easier, I didn't mean to make the game too easy. I remember spoiler[when you met the robot the first time and being very confused as to do next. Video games should never be too confusing that a player doesn't have a clue as to do next.]

As for save points, think about how convenent a save option would be during any point? I am all for a save points, but since this is a hand held version of the game, I think a save option would be suited better.
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Actually I meant on American hand held consoles

My copy of Dragon Warrior I & II for GBC would like to disagree...
videomaster21XX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Todd Ciolek wrote:
Or perhaps because devoted Castlevania fans are bitter
Quote:
Ding!But I still collect every damn one of them,no matter how burned I get.

Burned? How? For the exception of Curse of Darkness, I've yet to see a truly BAD Castlevania. (I realize you seem to like Curse of Darkness. But Hector just moved WAAAAAY TO SLOOOOOW for my tastes. I just couldn't take it.)

Well I'll admit Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance isn't that great. I keep getting lost since I have those three different castle types to go through.

While the Arena is a pain in the ass, Circle of the Moon is pretty good. Hard, but Castlevania games are suppose to be hard.

I see a lot of hate for Portrait of Ruin, though I can't figure why, and Aria and Dawn of Sorrow are tied with Symphony of the Night on the greatest Castlevania games I've ever played.

And yes, I actually LIKE the other 3D vania's.

I have yet to find a good copy of Einhander.
Quote:
Great shooter,you are right,a good copy is hard to come by.

Mwhahaha! My copy rests peacfully on my game shelf. >:D

Quote:
I said Dragon quest. I never said Dragon Warrior any where in my post.

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong. But Dragon Warrior-IS-Dragon Quest. The name was just changed to 'Warrior' when it was brought over to the states. You know. NES? Dragon Warrior? Kinda like the whole Rockman in Japan, MegaMan here thing?

On the Chrono Trigger DS port:
Love the first game. Want to check out the extra dungeon and any other new content we may get. Much rather have a sequal.

On Magic Knight Rayearth for the Saturn:
Heck this was actually my FIRST Sega Saturn game! Ended up buying myself a Saturn when they were cheap, and I hadn't the cash for any of the 3D systems. L-O-V-E this game. My system and the game has been borrowed from friend to friend just so they can play this game.

I still dig it out and play it from time to time. It's truly an RPG classic, that I think everyone should play at least once.[/b]
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote
videomaster21XX wrote:
Burned? How?
I was just going with whatever Todd was talking about.
The only 3D Castlvania's I had a problem with were the two insanely horrible (aren't even considered canon by Konami) N64 versions,Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness.The unreleased Dreamcast version of Castlevania,Castlevania Resurrection( I preordered back in the day.I waited and waited and then it was canceled.)And the horrible design,gameplay and camera angles in Lament of Innocence.So pretty much all the 3D titles except Curse of Darkness and the remake of Rondo.

For the 2-D titles,Portrait of Ruin and Order of Shadows are the two I felt didn't live up to the standards/felt burned by gameplay,Castlevania is known for.

videomaster21XX wrote:
For the exception of Curse of Darkness, I've yet to see a truly BAD Castlevania. (I realize you seem to like Curse of Darkness. But Hector just moved WAAAAAY TO SLOOOOOW for my tastes. I just couldn't take it.)
I back flipped my way through the whole game,seriously(Hector's backstep).It cruises.The default run is too slow to use.Curse was the only 3D title(for me anyway)that wasn't a drag-a-thon.

videomaster21XX wrote:
Well I'll admit Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance isn't that great. I keep getting lost since I have those three different castle types to go through.
I still get lost to this day,that is what's so great about it.The neon colors,the story,the book techs,the music(a few remixes from Castlevaina 2 and Bloodlines)and the overly generous boss encounters that still make Dissonance fun to replay.

Be happy that Gameboy's are backlit now a days.Back when Dissonance came out,you had to lean into the light just right to even see the game.(explaining the neon colors of Dissonance)It was damn uncomfortable.I don't miss that crap.

videomaster21XX wrote:
While the Arena is a pain in the ass, Circle of the Moon is pretty good. Hard, but Castlevania games are suppose to be hard.
Yes they are.I like Circle of the Moon.The group that put together Circle of the Moon were part of the group that worked on Metal Gear Solid (not Kojima's main team) Go back and look at the game.The character sprites don't size-match with the background.Making the Demon castle way bigger than your character.It was unique.This is the first title I rocked on the original GBA.The game was way too dark(common complaint).After a long play through,I would look away from the GBA screen and would see nothing but shapes.

videomaster21XX wrote:
I see a lot of hate for Portrait of Ruin, though I can't figure why
Play all the other Castlevaina's,all the way through.And then play Portrait of Ruin.The poor level design,character attributes,character change,slow item gain,poor equipment management,the weak story characters and the plain anime artwork,made it a throw away title.And the completed map percentage with it's 1000% count,WTF.The gameplay is just boring(it does have some awesome bosses though.)

Every year,as tradition,I play through each and every Castlevaina title (with the exception of the unreleased 32X and Dreamcast versions).I'm dreading playing back through Portrait again.

videomaster21XX wrote:
and Aria and Dawn of Sorrow are tied with Symphony of the Night on the greatest Castlevania games I've ever played.
I fully agree.But you are missing PC-Engine's,Rondo of Blood,It is the first part of Symphony,more or less.

videomaster21XX wrote:
And yes, I actually LIKE the other 3D vania's.
Enjoy them,good sir.More for you.They bother me,but I still play them.

Quote:
I said Dragon quest. I never said Dragon Warrior any where in my post.

videomaster21XX wrote:
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong. But Dragon Warrior-IS-Dragon Quest. The name was just changed to 'Warrior' when it was brought over to the states. You know. NES? Dragon Warrior? Kinda like the whole Rockman in Japan, MegaMan here thing?
Yes,Dragon Warrior is the US localization of Japan's Dragon Quest.The US didn't use the original name until Dragon Quest 8 on PS2.It's now permanent.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:07 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Quote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Actually I meant on American hand held consoles, but I respect your knowledge of Dragon Quest. I didn't mean to get rilied up, but it sometimes happens when you like a video game series as much as I do. I will give you credit though, you sure know your sources for Dragon Quest, that is very admirable.

Wait a minute. I'm sorry to add fuel to the fire, but as a big DQ fan I have to speak up.

First you say that there hasn't been a DQ on a handheld in the 20 years DQ has been around. Then you say, no, you meant for American consoles. Okay, but Dragon Quest has only been around for American consoles for less than 3 years because it was known was Dragon Warrior here before then (that is, the release of Dragon Quest VIII at the end of 2005). So either way, it was an incorrect statement to begin with. Wink No offense.

Either way, Dragon Quest IV DS is awesome and I am quite enjoying it. I can't wait for it to come out in America! I will be picking it up so that I can watch my boyfriend play it in English after I'm done with my Japanese copy. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4