• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Vexille DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
wording that could be considered inflammatory, insulting, or even racist

Oh, those wacky Japanese!
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote
In a sense, I agree with everything that was said in the review; on the other hand, I don't think much else can be expected of Japanese CG features in general yet (in terms of writing and animation quality), as the CG medium is still widely untapped compared to the number of efforts in the U.S..

This isn't to say that Vexille -- or Appleseed, for that matter -- deserves a handicap with relation to its American counterparts, but rather that one should probably lower their standards when watching such movies, so that the aspects of the production which are actually well-developed (in Vexille's case, the art and action sequences) can be appreciated.

Also, there is that little issue of the financial backing different CG fimls receive. I certainly see what is meant by the characters in Vexille lacking a certain organic presence, but they were animated on a budget of USD10million, compared to Toy Story which had three times that amount to work with (not accounting for devaluation), not to mention the Incredibles, at USD92million.

The writing did need work in places though. I mean, where the hell did the Jags come from? Also, further development of the history between Maria and Evil Bad Guy (yeah, he wasn't terribly well-written) would have been nice. Also, I don't specifically remember what racial/inflammatory language was used, but it definitely didn't fit well.

However, the main plot twist was absolutely effective. Particularly the scenes that were used to reveal it.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:59 am Reply with quote
Potentially racist writing eh? Interesting, that makes me a bit curious. I haven't seen the movie, but after reading the synopsis I can certainly see where this comes from.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:43 am Reply with quote
This is the second review on ANN that mentioned "plot holes", but I didn't see any. The story made perfect sense to me. I don't know what version the reviewer was watching.

I own both Vexille and Appleseed Ex Machina, and I thought they were both very good movies. As far as plot goes, I have to give the nod to Vexille over Appleseed, as the final twist was more original, but overall I thought they were both definitely worth owning.

I purchased both before viewing them, and I haven't regretted either decision.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
American CG productions like Toy Story, Shrek, and The Incredibles have proven that it is possible to infuse its characters with life, vigor, and sense of being.

They also don't make me feel like I should be playing them instead of watching them. I get the same thing from Appleseed. I'd prefer that that doesn't occur in the movies I watch. Advent Children doesn't give me that feeling, despite it being the one based on a game, but I found the character movement in that rather stiff and awkward.
atlanime

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:08 am Reply with quote
I just wonder if this is like most of the last couple of CGI anime movies, great animation and visual style but it holds as much water as an upside-down bucket.
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I own both Vexille and Appleseed Ex Machina, and I thought they were both very good movies. As far as plot goes, I have to give the nod to Vexille over Appleseed, as the final twist was more original, but overall I thought they were both definitely worth owning.

I doubt the review has anything to do in comparison with Ex-machina.
The comparison was of between Vexille and the Appleseed (2005) feature.
Believe or not I do agree that Vexille is better than Ex-machina.
I also agree to the review that both Vexille and Appleseed (2005) have similar plot contingencies.
The movie, Vexille, just brought all the quirks and fun that Appleseed had and make it anew with better animation & a new setting.
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:32 am Reply with quote
I'm going to give this thread a little bump because I finally got around to watching Vexille yesterday.

I do agree mostly with the review in that it won't get a story of the year award. I did notice how the characters were given more weight to them by having their footfalls make a loud clunking sound compared to previous CG movies.

Yeah, those Jags were jaw-dropping. I only wish Funi had released this on BluRay. That would have really been cool.

All in all, Vexille fills my action quotient very nicely. Especially those tunnel scenes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1