• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Agrees to Distribute Select Geneon Titles

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I agree! I'm mostly after Shounen Onmyouji and Rozen Maiden Traumend, so...I WANT MY MASAHIRO AWESOMENESS!!!
I'm right there with you on Rozen Maiden Traumend. (Wow, it's possible now that we could get the OVA. Shocked )

I just hope Funimation will put out at least a few singles for we poor, long suffering "bought the Geneon release and were screwed by Dentsu's pull out" types. I expect to see a lot of box sets coming from all these deals.

Yeah, my excitement's cooled down enough for me to remember that there are logistical issues like that. Still, I expect to see such things. Funimation has screwed me a lot less than the other companies.
Chii85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Same for me, ADV did the same thing. Because I want to know why they pull 30+ title off of their list.
And what about CPM I heard they are in finanial trouble, the website isn't updated, they moved to a smaller office, what is their fate?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I'm right there with you on Rozen Maiden Traumend. (Wow, it's possible now that we could get the OVA. Shocked )

Holy Crap, I have been in despair so much about losing that show, that I really forgot about that. Good news indeed. At least there is a possibility now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
HHAHAHAHA! YES!

This is freakin' sweet! I get to complete When they Cry now! W00t!

Does this mean that they will continue other season sequels too? Like When they Cry has a sequal, but Geneon only stopped during the first season.. do you think FUNimation is going to continue the entire series?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
HHAHAHAHA! YES!

This is freakin' sweet! I get to complete When they Cry now! W00t!

Does this mean that they will continue other season sequels too? Like When they Cry has a sequal, but Geneon only stopped during the first season.. do you think FUNimation is going to continue the entire series?

If the first sells well then I'd say yes.
Crawly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Aionic wrote:
I'm also pleased to see Gankutsuou, the best Geneon title, wasn't mentioned in the article. Why you ask? Because my expensive set won't lose any value.

Just because it's not on the list doesn't mean more sets won't be available to retailers if Geneon wants them released. This is a distribution deal for Funi to get Geneon's products to retailers. Geneon still is the sole license holder for all of their titles and it was confirmed by Funimation that Geneon will be handling all production for all unreleased titles. Geneon will decide how these shows are released. Funi is just going to distribute.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
HOLY CRAP! I must of read over that! They are going to release Shana!

Yes, FUNi is the best! Very Happy
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:01 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
this is a good thing to celebeate. However i was hoping they were going to licensed Card captor sakura and make and uncut dub for the series,since they did good with XXX Holic and tsubasa chronicles.Also i'm a little scared about what they'll do to hellsing ultimate and nanoha.My biggest fear is they might make english openings for nanoha instead of the originals and worse,use their VA for hellsing ultimate instead of the TV VAs. this may end up helping and hurting them in the long run.

I have the same concern about Hellsing, but I would really like to think that Funimation would let New Generation continue their stellar work since it's what the fans really want.

Don't you mean the old VA that did the TV series? Cause the fans wanted those VA for the OVA. But what i really worry about is what they might do the Nanoha series.It definately would've been better if ADV got the license for nanoha,Hellsing Ultimate and Black Lagoon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:29 am Reply with quote
Wow, when I read this news yesterday, I really couldn't believe it. I had to stop and make certain it wasn't April 1st or something.

Let me be the 213th person on this posting (give or take) to say thank you to Funimation for rescuing these licenses! My orphaned copies of Karin, When They Cry and Rozen Maiden thank you very much!

I remember torturing myself by watching the preview after the last episode of the last dvd of each of those titles, thinking to myself "yeah, I'll never get to see that..."

Funimation, I hope you guys fire up the coffee or keep the fridge stocked with your favorite caffeinated cold beverage, you have alot of work ahead of you!
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:06 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Don't you mean the old VA that did the TV series? Cause the fans wanted those VA for the OVA. But what i really worry about is what they might do the Nanoha series.It definately would've been better if ADV got the license for nanoha,Hellsing Ultimate and Black Lagoon.
Well, given that Geneon (what remains of it at any rate) will actually call the shots on production choices, you can rest easy if you were okay with them having it to begin with. Considering ADV is currently barely going and talking about sub-only digital releases more than anything else, I'm going to continue to be insanely grateful for Funimation's intervention in this.

Especially since, and I really think we should keep this in mind at all times, a total anime newbie was apparently the other major player trying for this deal. I think we all know how many mistakes keep getting made when a new group comes into anime. (I don't even want to think about the trouble a newbie would have with marketing something like Nanoha. Damn I want this series ASAP.)

With this deal, the Geneon titles will be handled by the strongest player in this game. So far, I think Funimation's been doing fantastic with it's recent licenses and releases. They adapt faster than the other companies, they release box sets with extras in a timely manner, they advertise more and they're moving away from singles which has been a long time coming.

I don't believe any of the other companies could have had even a chance of success taking over the Geneon distro but I have faith in Funimation.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote
ALL HAIL FUNIMATION!!! Save the titles and release them for us!! Very Happy *bows repeatedly*
Crawly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
But what i really worry about is what they might do the Nanoha series.It definately would've been better if ADV got the license for nanoha,Hellsing Ultimate and Black Lagoon.

Geneon still has the licenses for all those shows and is handling all production. Funimation is ONLY DISTRIBUTING the titles. If those titles had gone to ADV from Sojitz money, then you'd have an issue because Funi would actually have the licenses now.

Black Lagoon is completely dubbed. So is Hellsing 4 (they showed it last night, don't know if it was the dub, though). Dubbing continued on Nanoha after Geneon ceased distribution last year, though I don't know if it's completed yet or not, given it's length. Funimation isn't doing anything to any of these shows except getting them to retailers (this includes the decision to do sets or singles). And by the end of August at that. Woohoo!!! Very Happy
Aionic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
Aionic wrote:
I'm also pleased to see Gankutsuou, the best Geneon title, wasn't mentioned in the article. Why you ask? Because my expensive set won't lose any value.

Just because it's not on the list doesn't mean more sets won't be available to retailers if Geneon wants them released. This is a distribution deal for Funi to get Geneon's products to retailers. Geneon still is the sole license holder for all of their titles and it was confirmed by Funimation that Geneon will be handling all production for all unreleased titles. Geneon will decide how these shows are released. Funi is just going to distribute.

Err, doesn't the article say that Funi are going to manufacture the DVDs?

Gankutsuou wasn't a good seller in the US as far as I know - MVM in the UK turned down the chance to license it. The TINY amount of people in this thread who've mentioned the series seems to suggest there isn't much interest in it.
Crawly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Aionic wrote:
Err, doesn't the article say that Funi are going to manufacture the DVDs?

Yes, it does. So let me amend that. They're pressing the discs and getting them to retailers, but they have no hand in the production of the series. Geneon is making all the decisions as to what goes and how.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I might not be understanding this whole deal, but I hope they release Geneon's series in cheaper box sets (Geneon was expensive in box sets and a little bit over the usual price of a single dvd) especially Gankutsuou and Samurai Champloo. Also, I don't really mind companies releasing singles, makes me look forward to something and more artwork (like Speed Grapher's LE covers, those are amazing! I know Funimation will do a good job at covers with ADV and Geneon's anime, if I'm understanding the current situation correctly). But either single dvd's or boxset, I'll buy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 17