• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2008 - ADV Sneak Peek

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I'm not usually one for pessimism but it's hard not to notice the dark cloud hovering about ADV when Matt Greenfield was pretty much forced into a panel that had a lot of nothing to say about the company as a whole besides Kiba. I remember when ADV had all of the huge titles and people lined up around the room to hear what they had in store for the upcoming year.

Now Funimation has not only picked up Geneon's slack, but is going to take all of those previous ADV titles as well? Granted we'll see if they do the titles justice, but still...

It's not looking good, in all honesty.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
ADV's situation has me a bit down. I remember back in the old days of VHS, how they were THE dominant company, the only one that could afford the license to a little show called Evangelion, and famous for their shameless and often raunchy and exaggerated back-of-box copy.

How the mighty have fallen. I just hope they don't fall any further.

What can ADV do to get back on its feet? One area they always seem to have lagged behind other companies in has been TV. They saved all their shows (except Milk-Chan, look how well that turned out) for the Anime Network, which, let's face it, wasn't exactly a stellar success.

Meanwhile, the leaders/survivors in this industry: FUNimation, Bandai, and Viz, all have historically had a strong TV presence, and each boasts a major longrunning franchise or two that has aired on US TV.

Maybe that's the direction ADV needs to go in. Invest in a long-running franchise (um, are there any left to license?) and get it on Cartoon Network or some other highly visible network.
I agree.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
http://www.theanimenetwork.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=7896&page=5
This just in: ADV has confirmed that they are now working on a NEW partnership with an unamed Japanese investor but has stated details won't be discussed until Balitmore's Otakon later this month.
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

What can ADV do to get back on its feet? One area they always seem to have lagged behind other companies in has been TV. They saved all their shows (except Milk-Chan, look how well that turned out) for the Anime Network, which, let's face it, wasn't exactly a stellar success.

Meanwhile, the leaders/survivors in this industry: FUNimation, Bandai, and Viz, all have historically had a strong TV presence, and each boasts a major longrunning franchise or two that has aired on US TV.

Maybe that's the direction ADV needs to go in. Invest in a long-running franchise (um, are there any left to license?) and get it on Cartoon Network or some other highly visible network.

That is absolutely true. Only other network they've been showing their shows has been more of the premium channels like Showtime and not everyone has that channel. They also tried to show EVA, but that was a mixed bag result on Adult Swim. They'll need to refocus a bit more on what can actually be tried to be shown and if possible, have an actual "test run" of what could be shown for channels like Cartoon Network. They could try a few more comedies that they've actually done themselves for the dubs like Colorful or Ghost Stories or try adding a more engaging series for it's story. Most of the ones from Funimation, Bandai, VIZ and even Geneon had engaging stories, ADV's been a bit of an odd man out when it comes to that department.
Axe-336

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
I always feel bad for ADV. They were huge up until recently, then everyone found out they could get free anime online and they discovered they couldn't keep their magazines and other services afloat. Hopefully the fans have started coming around with the barrage of articles and speeches about how not buying anime really does hurt anime and ADV can come back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2