• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Picks Up Over 30 Former AD Vision Titles

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Finally!!
SOMEONE'S FINALLY bringing Sgt. Frog to the states!
Took 'em long enough....
Very Happy
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, they must have got a good wholesale deal on these.

Still, good news is good news.
Conversation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote
It is worth pointing out that there are limits to what you can do with an anime monopoly these days, should a monopolylike situation really develop.

Charge to much and drive your customers away to the fansubbers.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Conversation wrote:
It is worth pointing out that there are limits to what you can do with an anime monopoly these days, should a monopolylike situation really develop.

Exactly, and Funimation has shown that they are willing to do multiple release types for multiple groups. They have cheap box sets, nicer box sets, single volume releases, etc. all based on how well they think a series will do in any category. And they are responsive to feedback that comes from sales by providing things like artboxes if series do well.

And with Funimation, getting a dub is not a problem. I really think they are the best all around in this day and age to be licensing anything. Most of the exceptions/problems brought up are issues far in the past for them.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Conversation wrote:

Exactly, and Funimation has shown that they are willing to do multiple release types for multiple groups. They have cheap box sets, nicer box sets, single volume releases, etc. all based on how well they think a series will do in any category. And they are responsive to feedback that comes from sales by providing things like artboxes if series do well.

And with Funimation, getting a dub is not a problem. I really think they are the best all around in this day and age to be licensing anything. Most of the exceptions/problems brought up are issues far in the past for them.
Let's not get too carried away with our celebrations on the promenade. More in the hold means more tonnage pushing on Navarre's debt ridden hull make her sail lower in the rough seas and there be giant icebergs of recession ahead as well, har.
Togashi_D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Here is what Funimation plans on doing:
Quote:
In the Geneon case, season boxes will be considered where a full season has already been completed. For anime that Geneon dropped in mid-release, Funimation will go ahead with more individual volumes before any season box sets are looked at. For the former ADV licenses, that company will be retained as a sub-contractor to handle dubbing and production duties, with Funimation as the distributor, similar to the arrangement that is already in place for several series.
onibaku

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Man,I am frankly stunned about this news...Funi is a great company,but this may be a bridge too far...Hopefully they won't monopolize the market...Hopefully they'll release the ADV titles as ADV was doing it before the deal happened(c'mon Red Garden has only 1 volume yet to be released,it'll be a pain if they re-release it from the beginning!)...My best wishes go to funi on their latest endeavours.
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Togashi_D wrote:
Quote:
In the Geneon case, season boxes will be considered where a full season has already been completed. For anime that Geneon dropped in mid-release, Funimation will go ahead with more individual volumes before any season box sets are looked at. For the former ADV licenses, that company will be retained as a sub-contractor to handle dubbing and production duties, with Funimation as the distributor, similar to the arrangement that is already in place for several series.

So does this mean that KKM season 2 will basically be released as a box set, I think that Genon released up to the very last DVD. I for one who didn't buy any of it yet because I was waiting for a boxset would love to have it come out in a set but I would also hope that Funi would release the last volume as a single as well. It would really suck for all those who did buy the singles to have to go and buy the box set for one volume. With that said does anyone know if they will get Season 1 as well?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:

So does this mean that KKM season 2 will basically be released as a box set, I think that Genon released up to the very last DVD.

Geneon still had a few volumes of KKM2 left. And note that it only said that sets would be considered for series that had been finished in singles, it didn't guarantee it.
Crawly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Let's not get too carried away with our celebrations on the promenade. More in the hold means more tonnage pushing on Navarre's debt ridden hull make her sail lower in the rough seas and there be giant icebergs of recession ahead as well, har.

Obviously not know the details of how a typical distribution deal works, I'm only guessing at this. But I'd guess that the deal with Geneon offsets some of the costs involved in the Sojitz deal. Funi didn't actually buy anything from Geneon, they just signed an agreement to handle the manufacture and distribution of the discs. More than likely, they're being paid for their work rather than paying anything out. With ADV, the vast majority of the English language production work is done. They don't have to pay translators, script writers, subtitlers, voice actors, etc. So they've got this great catalog of titles and don't have to do any work on most of it. I'm sure they paid a lot for it, but overall the cost to them is less in the long run if they can profit off rereleases and box sets, digital distribution, and tv deals.
mrgetalife

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:40 am Reply with quote
Well here's a scenario which can come out for the better in the end. With a monopoly you can starve the other side. You don't have to license every thing that comes out of the woodwork. And you don't have to pay a ridiculous more than top dollar for properties. In about 5-10 years the source will be hurting. And it'll reopen the doors for a groups to get back in the business. So prepare for a few years of pain.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:51 am Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Obviously not know the details of how a typical distribution deal works, I'm only guessing at this. But I'd guess that the deal with Geneon offsets some of the costs involved in the Sojitz deal. Funi didn't actually buy anything from Geneon, they just signed an agreement to handle the manufacture and distribution of the discs. More than likely, they're being paid for their work rather than paying anything out. With ADV, the vast majority of the English language production work is done. They don't have to pay translators, script writers, subtitlers, voice actors, etc. So they've got this great catalog of titles and don't have to do any work on most of it. I'm sure they paid a lot for it, but overall the cost to them is less in the long run if they can profit off rereleases and box sets, digital distribution, and tv deals.

But regardless of the amount, it's going to impact Navarre's and Funi's earnings. Remember, Navarre only made around $600,000 last year, I believe after taxes, on sales of around $160 million. That's not even a 1% profit. So regardless of how much they paid, it's probably gonna hurt their numbers. And the money from Geneon probably won't start coming in until the DVD's start going out. That's generally how distribution deals work. Funi is probably get a set percentage of sales and the cost of physical production and shipping.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:54 am Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
No one cares about that part regardless of how many times it's said. Even when it's Funimation saying it. It's like that on other boards, too.

Umm, I really don't care whether you say nobody cares about this particular situation. The fact of the matter is that it is the truth, and whether you're willing to accept it or not, it is still the truth Rolling Eyes
Crawly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Crawly wrote:
No one cares about that part regardless of how many times it's said. Even when it's Funimation saying it. It's like that on other boards, too.

Umm, I really don't care whether you say nobody cares about this particular situation. The fact of the matter is that it is the truth, and whether you're willing to accept it or not, it is still the truth Rolling Eyes

I didn't say no once cares about the situation. I said no one cares that Funimation didn't actually license anything from Geneon. It's something that's been said by at least a dozen people over and over and over in multiple formats, including from the Funi people themselves. Either no one is actually reading any of the posts or press releases, people don't understand the difference between distribution and licensing, or they just don't care. Most likely a combination of all three.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:44 am Reply with quote
Togashi_D wrote:
Quote:

So when can I expect Season 2-5 of Initial D?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16