• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Picks Up Over 30 Former AD Vision Titles

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:33 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Crawly wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Let's not get too carried away with our celebrations on the promenade. More in the hold means more tonnage pushing on Navarre's debt ridden hull make her sail lower in the rough seas and there be giant icebergs of recession ahead as well, har.

Obviously not know the details of how a typical distribution deal works, I'm only guessing at this. But I'd guess that the deal with Geneon offsets some of the costs involved in the Sojitz deal. Funi didn't actually buy anything from Geneon, they just signed an agreement to handle the manufacture and distribution of the discs. More than likely, they're being paid for their work rather than paying anything out. With ADV, the vast majority of the English language production work is done. They don't have to pay translators, script writers, subtitlers, voice actors, etc. So they've got this great catalog of titles and don't have to do any work on most of it. I'm sure they paid a lot for it, but overall the cost to them is less in the long run if they can profit off rereleases and box sets, digital distribution, and tv deals.

But regardless of the amount, it's going to impact Navarre's and Funi's earnings. Remember, Navarre only made around $600,000 last year, I believe after taxes, on sales of around $160 million. That's not even a 1% profit. So regardless of how much they paid, it's probably gonna hurt their numbers. And the money from Geneon probably won't start coming in until the DVD's start going out. That's generally how distribution deals work. Funi is probably get a set percentage of sales and the cost of physical production and shipping.
Not forgetting the payroll and benefits of the bilge rats making the discs, packaging, packing, posting, and loading the trucks out the back, har. Their cut of the price has got to pay for all that.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Crawly wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Let's not get too carried away with our celebrations on the promenade. More in the hold means more tonnage pushing on Navarre's debt ridden hull make her sail lower in the rough seas and there be giant icebergs of recession ahead as well, har.

Obviously not know the details of how a typical distribution deal works, I'm only guessing at this. But I'd guess that the deal with Geneon offsets some of the costs involved in the Sojitz deal. Funi didn't actually buy anything from Geneon, they just signed an agreement to handle the manufacture and distribution of the discs. More than likely, they're being paid for their work rather than paying anything out. With ADV, the vast majority of the English language production work is done. They don't have to pay translators, script writers, subtitlers, voice actors, etc. So they've got this great catalog of titles and don't have to do any work on most of it. I'm sure they paid a lot for it, but overall the cost to them is less in the long run if they can profit off rereleases and box sets, digital distribution, and tv deals.

But regardless of the amount, it's going to impact Navarre's and Funi's earnings. Remember, Navarre only made around $600,000 last year, I believe after taxes, on sales of around $160 million. That's not even a 1% profit. So regardless of how much they paid, it's probably gonna hurt their numbers. And the money from Geneon probably won't start coming in until the DVD's start going out. That's generally how distribution deals work. Funi is probably get a set percentage of sales and the cost of physical production and shipping.
Not forgetting the payroll and benefits of the bilge rats making the discs, packaging, packing, posting, and loading the trucks out the back, har. Their cut of the price has got to pay for all that.

I was including that in the "physical production and shipping" costs.... Cool
indrik

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
So if Funimation is basically handling distribution, with ADV as a subcontractor to handle subbing, dubbing, and mastering, I wonder if there's any hope that they'll stick to the release schedule for some of the titles already in progress.

I also wonder why ADV's distribution efforts were so bad, if that's all the Sojitz ended up pulling, or if maybe it was Funi's decision to subcontract most of the work back to ADV. Or if maybe this somehow cuts ADV's overhead.

I also wonder if I am confused about some angle of this.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
or if maybe it was Funi's decision to subcontract most of the work back to ADV.

More than likely it was this one.

Sojitz leaves ADV and takes its property with them. Sojitz doesn't distribute anime and they need someone to do that. Enter FUNimation. They buy it. FUNimation then needs someone to do all the work to finish off the many titles that are incomplete and maintain continuity. So they outsource those back to ADV. Messed up, you betcha.

Good thing, FUNimation will have to pay ADV directly for the work done.

Bad thing, FUNimation will be doing replication. More than likely. But not sure on that one. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
I also wonder why ADV's distribution efforts were so bad, if that's all the Sojitz ended up pulling, or if maybe it was Funi's decision to subcontract most of the work back to ADV. Or if maybe this somehow cuts ADV's overhead.

Does anyone remember the outrageous DVD sales that were going on over at Rightstuf before Geneon and ADV had to "cut back?"
indrik

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
You know, I hadn't thought of it that way, but sure, (extreme) excess inventory requiring a clearance sale to get some cash flowing could certainly count as very bad distribution.
Kortir

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I just hope Funi or ADV or whoever the heck ends up putting it on the shelves will put Kanon 6 out sooner than later... WHY did they have to pull this idiocy the week of its release? Couldn't they have waited till Otakon and saved me the misery of waiting until "whenever we get around to it"?
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I hope so too, but I can't blame Funi for all that. Sojitz or ADV is to blame for making this happen right now.
Serge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I hope so too, but I can't blame Funi for all that. Sojitz or ADV is to blame for making this happen right now.

So what's happening now, is ADV doing the dubbing and subbing on the DVD's for example, Welcome to the NHK DVD 5, and FUNi just releasing them? how about the "New" animes which ADV ain't even released or dubbed yet? will they be released Fresh from FUNimation with their dub?
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:
Xanas wrote:

So what's happening now, is ADV doing the dubbing and subbing on the DVD's for example, Welcome to the NHK DVD 5, and FUNi just releasing them? how about the "New" animes which ADV ain't even released or dubbed yet? will they be released Fresh from FUNimation with their dub?
Yes ADV is dubbing.
Arx7arbalest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
So much for ADV....I saw their booth at anime expo. It was just a bunch of boxes and DVDs on sale. Looks like ADVs done. Sad
Is it just me or did anyone else fine a bunch of thinpak re-releases a little fishy?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
They didn't have a booth at AX, someone used the space to sell stuff instead (I think it was an ADV employee who also ran a store or something)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 16 of 16