• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment to Announce Gundam 00 License Details

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:35 am Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Just out of curiosity as I'm Gundam illiterate.

This franchise is massive, so some advice from Gundam veterans might be helpful here. Can newbies just jump into 00, or are there other titles in the franchise they should specifically have under their belts before the airing begins in the fall?

YES, very easily. 00 is it's own series not connected to any of the other series.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:49 am Reply with quote
Wow, am I the only person who actually prefers Sci-Fi's Ani-Monday block to [adult swim]? (Not in terms of shows but in terms of presentation and advertising.)

I know Sci-Fi does some censoring but it's not like they make the series unwatchable because of it. If you have a problem with that, join with other Americans and attack the FCC, hopefully scaling it back at least. I don't have any problem with their ads, most of which I think were pretty funny. (And certainly less insulting than [adult swim]'s little comments.)

In terms of advertising, I find the constant barrage of commercials for things like Assy McGee far worse than anything Sci-Fi's aired. Not to mention that I'd much rather have any sort of ad revenue coming in and helping them to get validate the block. Plus, the block is still relatively fresh, much like CN has done with it's own blocks, I'm sure they'll make some changes. (Find out who at Sci-Fi is in charge and send them a letter if you want to complain about something. Maybe they'll fix it.)

Anyway, I'll give this a whirl when it starts airing.
Mevious

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:

This franchise is massive, so some advice from Gundam veterans might be helpful here. Can newbies just jump into 00, or are there other titles in the franchise they should specifically have under their belts before the airing begins in the fall?

Yeah, 00 is its own series; it isn't connect to any other series. The same goes for almost all Gundam series throughout the past decade. Each title is its own series, not related to the original canon.
BrendantheJedi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:19 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Wow, am I the only person who actually prefers Sci-Fi's Ani-Monday block to [adult swim]? (Not in terms of shows but in terms of presentation and advertising.)

Probably no, but I'm certianly not one of them.

Quote:
I know Sci-Fi does some censoring but it's not like they make the series unwatchable because of it. If you have a problem with that, join with other Americans and attack the FCC, hopefully scaling it back at least. I don't have any problem with their ads, most of which I think were pretty funny. (And certainly less insulting than [adult swim]'s little comments.)

In terms of censoring, I'd say AS and Scifi about the same, with Scifi actually beating AS out out in showing content. However that isn't Scifi's problem

Quote:
In terms of advertising, I find the constant barrage of commercials for things like Assy McGee far worse than anything Sci-Fi's aired. Not to mention that I'd much rather have any sort of ad revenue coming in and helping them to get validate the block. Plus, the block is still relatively fresh, much like CN has done with it's own blocks, I'm sure they'll make some changes. (Find out who at Sci-Fi is in charge and send them a letter if you want to complain about something. Maybe they'll fix it.)

Well the thing is, AS only interupts the show once. Sure its with some of their crappier shows (like Assy and Fat Guy Stuck In Internet), but it isn't like on Scifi where you get about five minutes of show, and then five minutes of commercial. I mean, I know itsa knew block, and they need all the advertising they can get, but it certianly makes AS the better presenter by far.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Axe-336 wrote:
Wow, they're bringing it over within a year of completion? When did they figure out they needed to step up the pace on localizing anime?

It's been like that for a while. I think a year is far too long, though.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Sci-Fi has cut up to two minutes of content per episode out of some of their premiering series due to time limitations. Adult Swim does not. I don't see how someone could call Sci-Fi's presentation "superior."
RKO_Legend

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I think it is worth pointing out that Gundam 00 will get censored because of the content. Especially any content that has to do with Setsuna. Remember how sensitive the U.S is with terrorism, religion, and the middle east.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Why are people thinking the FCC would be behind the editing? They don't govern cable networks, just broadcast networks and terrestrial radio. Many cable networks have their own Broadcast Standards and Practices, which tell what can or can't be shown. Just thought I throw that out there.

As for who edits less between Sci-Fi and Adult Swim, its close, but I'd give the edge to Adult Swim. Besides the time edits, it seems Adult Swim allows some things that Sci-Fi wouldn't, like partial nudity and some harsher language.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:
Why are people thinking the FCC would be behind the editing? They don't govern cable networks, just broadcast networks and terrestrial radio. Many cable networks have their own Broadcast Standards and Practices, which tell what can or can't be shown. Just thought I throw that out there.

As for who edits less between Sci-Fi and Adult Swim, its close, but I'd give the edge to Adult Swim. Besides the time edits, it seems Adult Swim allows some things that Sci-Fi wouldn't, like partial nudity and some harsher language.
Yep, the FCC only covers what Broadcast stations can and can't show. It's up to each cable network to decide what they will allow.

Hopefully this will open up doors for more Bandai anime to be shown on Sci-Fi. I want Ani-Mondays to become Ani-Weekdays or something like they. Maybe ADV can get in on the action and show some of their shows too. Anything to stop this AS monopoly for anime on Basic Cable.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:

Plus, when [as] does have to edit out nudity, they apply a bit of pixelation, as opposed to Sci-Fi's big ol' bluuuuuurrrrrr filter that fills half the screen. Very Happy
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:

Hopefully this will open up doors for more Bandai anime to be shown on Sci-Fi. I want Ani-Mondays to become Ani-Weekdays or something like they. Maybe ADV can get in on the action and show some of their shows too. Anything to stop this AS monopoly for anime on Basic Cable.

Well, its not like Adult Swim was trying to start a monopoly. Its just taken a while for other networks to start carrying anime.

I'm glad Ani-Monday will show more anime. It opens up another outlet on basic cable besides CN/AS.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
As far as edits on cable are concerned, I think it's more "keep hands on ass" to prevent the FCC from geting any wierd ideas of moving onto cable.

Goodness knows that OFCOM make a living out of my misery between Jetix having to muitilate Naruto and Anime-Central's licence dissapearing. (I meen AC the UK network FYI)
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Cool!! But I can't watch it. I can't stay up late. I'd rather wait for the DVDs.

Dude, it's called recording it or downloading a fansub
Crystal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I was excited for the Sci-Fi channel's airing of Gurren Lagann, 'cause I wanted to see that series without having to buy DVDs. I'm glad they're airing this too, 'cause I wanna see it as well. If only they were airing it at the end of July as well. I don't wanna wait for November. Rolling Eyes
Eos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
Kelly wrote:

YES, very easily. 00 is it's own series not connected to any of the other series.

I second that. I've only gotten into the occational Gundam series, but I love 00.

RKO_Legend wrote:
I think it is worth pointing out that Gundam 00 will get censored because of the content. Especially any content that has to do with Setsuna. Remember how sensitive the U.S is with terrorism, religion, and the middle east.

It might, but I don't think it's a certainty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3