• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J-Cast: Kadokawa Has No Plans for 3rd Haruhi TV Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote
Really, Disappearance could work pretty well as a finale in itself. Not that things don't get even more interesting afterward, but still.
Lann

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
yeah lucky star had a decent ending but its manga is still going. you could say the anime failed because they made it impossible for a second series to work.

Kyo Ani never continued FMP, which was (is?) incredibly popular. so dont put it past them to give up on haruhi too.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
Hmm I agree. They may have had intentions for an S3, but after the heavy downpour of piss and vinegar they got hosed on them for S2 they probably said "well see if you get a season 3 then!" Razz
Lann

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:49 am Reply with quote
whats the status of K-on anyway?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote
That's practically like saying, "We have no plans to rake in tons of cash as of yet."

There'll be more Haruhi anime at some point. Trust me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Yeah, when I heard about Hirano's Twitter posts my first thought was a new Haruhi installment. That's the only work of hers I can think of that would be worth making a big deal out of.

Maybe the secret project is new Lucky Star, then?

I'm afraid my only thought was the Kizumonogatari prequel (movie?) to Bakemonogatari, in which Hirano plays Shinobu. But I guess that's not a secret.

Haruhi never crossed my mind, even though i'm reading the sixth Haruhi novel (The Wavering of Haruhi Suzumiya) right now.
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Lann wrote:
Quote:
THIS IS BASED ON A LIGHT NOVEL

yeah i know, but its still ongoing.

Neither Haruhi nor Spice and Wolf is ongoing.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Why the Turn A symbol Hirano???

What was Tomino's new project again???
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
It'd be sad if they never made another Haruhi season because of potential, but this might be for the best. Season 2 was just god awful for the bulk of it's run. It seemed like the production committee could only pull together like 20% of what they could in S1, and it's not like season 1 had mind blowing Nichijo/Star Diver animation so taking a 80% quality drop could still yield good results.

If S3 continues the trend it would probably be barely above a motion comic and they'd probably run the same episode back to back like 10 times in a 13 episode season.
Lann

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
Neither Haruhi nor Spice and Wolf is ongoing

well in that case there really isnt any excuse for these anime company's to be leaving them on the shelf if they really are done and dusted. i would imagine Haruhi was/is a really profitable franchise for KyoAni, but I cant help but think they left Full Metal Panic on the shelf, so who knows whats going to happen (or not going to happen in this case) ¬_¬
JormelKaze

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
First, it's based on an ongoing light novel. The manga really stopped being any good halfway through, so that doesn't matter. Enjoy Yen Press's novel translations.

Also, don't expect people to go and make a second season just because you want them to. It takes a lot of time and money to do so, plus they have to look at the sales of the previous season/movie/OVA to see if they warrent a new installment. Not to mention, they also look at how wide the fanbase for the original work is.

On that same note, why are you so concerned about an ending to any given series? Isn't it better if it keeps going, giving us more to fanboy/girl over? I would be pretty depressed if Tanigawa stopped writing the novels.

Looking at the reception for the movie and the rabidness of the Haruhi fanbase, a third season/second movie probably will happen eventually. Or at least, that's my hope. As for the second season, don't disregard the redeeming Sigh arc. Yes, Endless Eight was bad, terrible even, but Haruhi has always been known for taking risks and doing stuff 'for the art,' not that we always like it. (the out of order initial airing of the first season for example) At least be thankful there is a series out there willing to take risks like that.

As for what the project could be, it's possible that it's Lucky Star, if it's a big deal. People have wished for a second season for a while. I would actually welcome such a project. If it's not that, I have no idea what it could be.
Lann

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On that same note, why are you so concerned about an ending to any given series? Isn't it better if it keeps going, giving us more to fanboy/girl over? I would be pretty depressed if Tanigawa stopped writing the novels.

all i want is for an anime adaptation of a manga/novel series to stay faithful to the original source, but also keep up with it until the series ends.

anime adaptations tend to get only so far and then give up. meaning that the fans have to result in reading the source material for the continuation and eventual ending.

ever heard the expression is dog is for life, not just for Christmas?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
Neither Haruhi nor Spice and Wolf is ongoing.

The former at least is. I've never seen a source for the claim that Surprise was the last volume.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
Knowing Hirano's egocentrism, she was probably talking about her iPhone App Laughing
Ba-ZING, my good sir, ba-ZING!
Kouta6769

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Grrr no third season, hoping for a movie then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5