• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Itazura na Kiss Anime to Show Creator's Planned Ending

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually surprised it took that long to get an anime off the ground, if the manga was that popular. Her hubby sounds like a wonderful guy to remember her "ending" for so long for her.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
That's interesting to know since I'm currently following the anime and was wondering how it would end.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
I'm sure when he glances through the last volume,he breaks down into tears,knowing his time with her is lost to the manga. Smile Sad Crying or Very sad
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
Wow. Now I know why there was a live action one done in another country first before the anime came out. "It Started With a Kiss" first and second series.

But this is a great tribute that her husband is giving her, and such a sad way to go - it proves you never know when it's your turn, or how you are going to go.

I am looking forward to seeing the ending used in the anime. It must be a LONG ways away though... there are 20 eps of the first live series, and the second series I think may still be running. The anime is sort of keeping pace with the live series for content in the episodes, but there should be a few more anime eps than the live eps. So I am expecting maybe a 52 ep anime series in the end.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:57 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Her hubby sounds like a wonderful guy to remember her "ending" for so long for her.

I remember random stupid stuff my mom told me about when I was 7.

I'm sure if someone you loved very much told you something important about something they truly cared about, you would remember it.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote
Wow. How tragic and yet beautiful.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:00 am Reply with quote
That's so wonderful! It's so kind of him to give up one of his cherished memories to all of us. It will just make all the fans love her more, so it's a lovely tribute. Smile
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
Unholy: That's not really the point I was making. To hold it so long, and not be able to do anything with it, but keeping it in his heart, anyway, really showed he cared.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quote
This is one of my favorite spring anime, I really have no idea why concidering it's clicheness. I enjoy it very much and when I read the background of it and how the author died I did wonder how they'd end it, I'm glad she was able to tell him so close to when she died (maybe she had a feeling?). The thing that she'll be most remembered for will actually be complete in some form thanks to her husband. They also got really good songs for the anime, definitely on my top anime song list. Smile
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:44 am Reply with quote
The series seems cliched because of the influence it had on other shoujo anime/manga: people recognize things that they've seen before when watching/reading Itazura na Kiss. However, it's not really cliched because it was the first to have these things, or one of them at least. It's like Anne Rice and vampire novels...her work now has cliches but she's the one that started/revived them and so when she wrote them they weren't there (or at least not as many...please do not make this an argument about that Razz).

Anyway, I'm really glad to know that they have a good plan for the ending. I figured that they would try to use any plans the mangaka had, if they knew them and it is good to have this confirmed. Of course, we don't know how long it will be until we get to the ending (spoiler[currently the two main characters just started university and aren't together, so they need to get together, get married, and grow up some more before we're near an end.])
cool3865

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
so if the anime is kinda following the manga that would explain all of those time skips in anime so far, but man that has to be one of the best reason and also saddest reason to do an ending for the anime.
Emichan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
The anime started off following the manga reasonably closely, but in the last few episodes they have really started jumping around and picking up the pace, grabbing story arcs from different manga volumes and putting them in different order, introducing characters in a slightly different way. I don't mind, I am just happy to finally see it animated! I am also enjoying the slight changes due to advancing technology, like Kotoko having a cellphone Smile

I really love the manga, and yes, considering its age, it is a series that started a lot of the things that now seem cliche because so many later authors were influenced by it. It wasn't cliche at the time. This manga is around 17 years old.

I liked both the Japanese and Taiwan dramas too! Kassy had such a perfect 'look' for Naoki Smile And the Taiwan drama did a great job at being faithful to the manga.

I heard about the anime using the 'intended' ending from the author a while ago, and it surprised me, as I had initially assumed that the anime, given the number episodes planned, would end at manga volume 10 like season 1 of the Taiwan drama did. Given the jumping around in the plot they are doing now, it looks like they will be doing some super-condensing!

Now I just wish I could get my hands on more episodes of the "Ai shite Knight" anime, which is also based on a Kaoru Tada manga. I have seen a few episodes, but they are a bit difficult to track down.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Emi: It probably was immensely popular, but, due to how long it took to get an anime off the ground, they're not sure if it'll hold up with the newer generation of fans enough to invest in more eps.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:01 pm Reply with quote
If only this series wasn't shojo I'd watch this series. Kind of her husband to do this, but I don't read or ever watch shojo.

Unless there is a "good" scene once the characters are married.

Just joking, I don't read shojo, so I am probably never going to see this series.
Celes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
What a sad (but touching) story. I don't suppose any part of this manga/anime is in English, eh? Cause it sounds right up my alley...shame I had to hear about it this way, but I am really interested now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2