• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2008 - Keynote Address: Vu Nguyen, Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nayoko-Kihara

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 am Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:
How do these guys plan on being taken seriously when browsing their "index" it still lists hundreds of shows. Unless I've missed something I doubt they have permission to be hosting all these files.

Quite a few of the shows listed, are marked as "liscensed" when you click their names, and the videos that were previously there are completely unviewable. I'm not sure why they still keep title names and pages on the site after it's been liscensed, but they do.

I don't really understand the enjoyment in watching so many things on their site anyway. It's hard enough watching unliscensed things. Rarely is anything in very good quality for free, and a certain amount of time the subtitles are totally unreadable because of it. It's just easier to stick with DVDs from places like DeepDiscount, or even renting them. (Without even having to get off your butt, via Blockbuster and Netflix mailing systems.) And only use online viewing for things that are unliscensed, that can't be bought without importing them and having a Region Free player, or things that have gone totally out of print and have close to zero-chance of being reliscensed or redistributed. (i.e. Sailor Moon)

Though, I guess this isn't exactly on-topic, is it? Oh well.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...and 99% of all users are in the 13-34 age range.

With the ages being 13-17 most kids don't have jobs, no have any type of way to spend money. No credit card to spend, and most likely won't ask their parents to use money just to pay for a legal episode either. And sad to say, adults 18+ don't have a job regardless.

That doesn't mean they're college students either.

Quote:
Thus, an average Crunchyroll user is a high school or college student who is tech-savvy, influenced by the interests of his or her peers and friends, with an average annual income of around $16,000 - and with more time on their hands, than money.

I giggled. That statement couldn't even be more true. Where's that Verb commercial when you need it?
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:33 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
SharinganEye wrote:
That seems to be the general mindset for most people I talk to. It's like shiny toys that get boring fast.

When people ask for anime on places like Yahoo! Answers, it's always a variant of, "WeRE cann i dwnlooad ths for FREE!!11!!!!!oneone!1!1!!"

They don't feel the need to invest in anime because it's not something worth investing in. It's not like a special collection or owning the experience for a lot of these people. It's just there.

What I'm curious about is, now that CR has annnounced that nearly a third of their audience is over in SE Asia, how many of these people we see asking for anime on Yahoo! Answers and other places are even in the US? That's been my suspicion the whole time that fansubs have been blamed for problems with the US industry. What if all the companies licensing shows and releasing them due to so-called fansub popularity were misled by a huge amount of fansub downloaders not even being anywhere near the R1 market? Just a thought.

Disclaimer: This is not a claim that fansubs are not to blame, but that they only superficially created the appearance for an increase in demand, when there was not.

I have long wondered about this too.

Quote:
In addition, Crunchyroll has noticed that only about 36% of its users are from the U.S., while the Philippines, Singapore and Malaysia combine for 37%.

This means that a sizeable majority of Crunchyroll users - about 64% - do not live in the United States.

Many, if not most, viewers of English fansubbed anime live outside the United States. What percentage who do I like to know.

Many posters and a number of the moderators at the English language forums of a well known English language anime website which provides unlicensed English fansubbed anime links live outside the US and Canada.

They live in the UK, Ireland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Slovenia, Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Russia, Israel, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, the Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Argentina, etc.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
zargas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting article. Must be awkward for companies seeing an illegitimate "business site" become a significant force to deal with.

It's kind of awkward for some of the fans too.

._. well, I'm personally conflicted, but if it took an "illegal" site to try something, I suppose that then that's the way the cookie crumbles.

If it's any consolation, this sort of weirdness is not a new situation for the media industry. Cable TV in the USA started in a similar fashion. It originated to service markets that weren't reached by broadcast TV (ie: remote locations), but it was technically illegal because it infringed on numerous rules and copyrights established around the broadcast TV model. The whole thing was quite a messy affair that took decades to sort out; there's a decent historical overview at http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/U/htmlU/unitedstatesc/unitedstatesc.htm

Staying sane in the media business (or at least analyzing its history) means realizing that morality, legality, and practicality are all three entirely different things.
MrVince

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Quote:

With the ages being 13-17 most kids don't have jobs, no have any type of way to spend money. No credit card to spend, and most likely won't ask their parents to use money just to pay for a legal episode either. And sad to say, adults 18+ don't have a job regardless.

I like the direction you're going with this comment, and wished you could expanded more. I'm inferring you take issue with the 13-34 age range being too broad as income one could get in this range can vary greatly.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
MrVince wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Quote:

I like the direction you're going with this comment, and wished you could expanded more. I'm inferring you take issue with the 13-34 age range being too broad as income one could get in this range can vary greatly.

Frankly CR's numbers are all somewhat inflated.

They should discount any traffic to the site outside of US and Canada, since people in southeast asia don't have the type of disposable income, nor would they probably be able to get global rights to any shows legally. But instead they lump those numbers in because it looks better to investors. Just like television programs don't care about overall ratings, they only care about target demo ratings, all that matters with CR's traffic is how many people in the 18-34 range _who live in the US or Canada_ there are, since they are who they could legally get any serious income from.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Quote:

DId you miss the next line or something?

Quote:
Seventy percent are in the 18-34 demographic, which advertisers and broadcasters have traditionally emphasized pursuing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
MrVince wrote:

Yeah, I could have. Honestly, I knew quite a few people that don't have/won't get/can't get jobs and still live with their parents, either having limited or no income. I mean, on a personal level, some are bums, end of story, sad to say...But I don't think I'm wrong in saying to actually make an effort to do something else instead of worrying about the schematics of fansubs vs DVDs and actually try to do something in life.

>_>; Trust me, I know, it wasn't a proud moment in my life when I didn't work. It sucks.

I'm just surprised that no one has mentioned this before.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Quote:

DId you miss the next line or something?

Quote:
Seventy percent are in the 18-34 demographic, which advertisers and broadcasters have traditionally emphasized pursuing.

No actually, I didn't. The 99% part kind of caught my eye, so I quoted it, though it still brings the point I was making earlier.

Next to that, I was running off to work. ^^; sorry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2