• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Judge Compares Anime File-Sharing to Stealing Bread

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Does mean Sunrise is Inspector Javert?
kokuryu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I think I remember a few years ago some judge tried to give the death sentence to someone who was stealing bread to feed his starving family....

Do the judges have such autocratic powers like this in Japan where the judges are allowed to decide what level of laws are applied to sentences based on what they feel, rather than following a strict doctrine of law that spells out what should and should not be done?
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
I think I remember a few years ago some judge tried to give the death sentence to someone who was stealing bread to feed his starving family....

Without a source, I'm going to have to presume that's bollocks.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Yeah I remember that. It was back in the medieval times, then they came up with the idea of transporting in the 17th. Century and America and Australia was born. Wink
Eos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
OnanRulz wrote:

After reading what he said, I think the judge didn't use the "stealing bread" analogy in the Les Miserables sense. Funny response though Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
maichips

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I think a more accurate comparison (involving bread) would include actually stealing bread/food from animators and their families, ne?
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
The Judge Satō then said that Maki's actions "were very similar to shoplifting large amounts of bread, and instead of eating it yourself, distributing it for free. You were only doing it for attention, instead of out of maliciousness."

But if he went and stole bread, and gave it to lots of hungry people that otherwise would have to wait for months or years before getting a now stale bread, he would be a folk hero. o.o

maichips wrote:
I think a more accurate comparison (involving bread) would include actually stealing bread/food from animators and their families, ne?

I think that maybe that was what the judge was trying to say...
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:26 pm Reply with quote
A more accurate analogy would be that he bought or was given a loaf of bread, and duplicated and distributed copies of this bread for free.

And if we throw the number '5000' in here, and mention some fish, then the whole analogy looks very different.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
You know, because a fan is starved for entertainment and must feed it... It's a necessity to live you know!
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
And if we throw the number '5000' in here, and mention some fish, then the whole analogy looks very different.

Or for that matter, 9000.

I'm just amused why ANN decide to report this pretty boring tidbit. Is there a reason why this is related to anime news besides to try to stir up something?
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:

I'm just amused why ANN decide to report this pretty boring tidbit. Is there a reason why this is related to anime news besides to try to stir up something?

A well-known anime uploader faces prison time from a judge who thinks uploading anime is like stealing and sharing bread. That's boring and not news?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote
OnanRulz wrote:

Les Mis, is of course, the first thing I thought of as well.
resurgam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote
There is no appropriate analogy because this event cannot exist outside of the digital realm. No one owns the rights to bread. You can't copyright a loaf of bread and we don't have a machine to duplicate it indefinitely. In fact, if this man was doing this with bread, he wouldn't be a hero. The genius who created the technology to duplicate the bread and share it would be a hero.

It would be appropriate to look at previous cases that involve, say, music file sharing in Japan. Which I haven't heard any references to yet.
larinon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Maybe a better analogy would be to compare it to stealing cable, or possibly more to the point, helping other people steal cable. The cable signal is still there, it's not gone like the bread would be, but you receive a service that you otherwise don't pay for.

A brief internet search on this topic revealed that the potential penalties for stealing cable are up to a year in jail and/or up to a $10,000 fine. This is in the U.S., mind you, but 1.5 years doesn't seem too far afield with that in mind.

This is not to say that I necessarily agree with the sentence. I think a fine might be more appropriate, or maybe they can disallow him internet access for some period of time, and then only use jail-time for the more severe cases. I couldn't really discern whether it was a single incident or if it was a pattern of sharing that he was prosecuted for, though the earlier article that was linked to indicates the latter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll rename this thread "International Depository of Belabored Extended Metaphors".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5