• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Best of the Rescues

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:
Hmm, now I don't know what to do with my half-filled F/SN box. It's cheaper to just by that boxset than to track down the last 2 volumes I need.
Go to the nearest highway and whip'em at traffic.I'm sure someone will appreciate Type/Moon shrapnel on the windshield,as they deathroll into oncoming traffic.This is after you have purchased the infinitely better and more complete boxset. Laughing Kidding of course.Microwave them for about 10 seconds.spoiler[You will get a better show from the microwave,than from the last two volumes of Fate/Stay Night.Better smell too.]
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I was under the impression that Funimation would release singles for uncompleted sets. I own the first few Karin, Hellsing Ultimate and When They Cry volumes. Am I mistaken or is Funimation just releasing multiple single volumes on the same day?

You're not mistaken - they're going to release them on the same day, with the 4th volume being the previously suspended release.

In fact, here is TRSI's official new title soliciatations for the FUNi/Geneon releases:

Hellsing Ultimate, Vol.4 - $24.98 - 9/16/2008

Whey They Cry, Vol.4 - $29.98 - 9/30/2008

Fate/Stay Night: Complete Collection - $69.98 - 9/16/2008
Fate/Stay Night: Complete Collection (LE) - $69.98 (?) - 9/16/2008

Paradise Kiss: Complete Collection - $49.98 - 9/23/2008

Shakugan no Shana: Complete Collection - $49.98 - 9/9/2008

Hmm, fair bit of wait on the new singles, though good to see reasonable priced sets for the two I was holding off getting. Bigger problem is that Funimation won't naturally cycle back around until October, though with so little change in prices they will hopefully offer order revivals. And finally there is Shana ... all that effort to get the singles and no rebranded OVA+box being solicited? *weeps* Come on Funi, don't leave us hanging like that.

PS - See? I was right. After a month of gripes about no SW we get one with no perishables. Right around Otakon will be time to flip back.
StickyToffeePopcorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I guess I belong to the (vast) minority that wasn't too happy with the Paradise Kiss anime. I really felt the series missed the mark with pacing and humour when compared to the manga.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm having trouble getting into Black Lagoon. The whole show just feels so forced: from the "RADICAL" action scenes, to the overly amoral characters (most of whom seem pretty boring) to the swearing, the whole thing tries a bit too hard to be badass. The crazy chick's monologues to Rock ("You don't know anything about how hard life is, how tough I am, blah blah blah") are probably the worst aspect of it. That said I'm enjoying it enough to keep borrowing it, and I've found that the manga is generally better.
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the prices bci 110.

Wow the boxsets aren't that bad price wise, 50 bucks for Rozen Maiden and 70 for Fate/stay night, I am very happy with those prices, but I am a little sad that the title I want the most Kyo Kara Maou is priced at 25 dollars per single, and with 7 volumes things will add up very quick, that's like $175 dollars, ouch... I really wish they were releasing it as a box set as well. Sigh like I said earlier Funimation will be getting all of my money this fall. I am scared now to see how much the Ouran boxsets will be.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:
Sigh like I said earlier Funimation will be getting all of my money this fall. I am scared now to see how much the Ouran boxsets will be.

From the Funi AX panel:
"Many screams for Ouran High School Host Club of course, part one October 28th for $59.98. Part two is due out January 6th with 14-26, also $59.98."
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Mistress9 wrote:
Sigh like I said earlier Funimation will be getting all of my money this fall. I am scared now to see how much the Ouran boxsets will be.

From the Funi AX panel:
"Many screams for Ouran High School Host Club of course, part one October 28th for $59.98. Part two is due out January 6th with 14-26, also $59.98."

So basically the entire series is going to cost me about 120 that makes me happy very, very happy. Sigh though why couldn't the second box set come out in time for xmas?? It would have been the best present ever, but atlas I shall have to settle for another anime instead. Maybe I should ask for Kyo Kara Maou instead then I don't have to worry about spending the 175dollars on it.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
StickyToffeePopcorn wrote:
I guess I belong to the (vast) minority that wasn't too happy with the Paradise Kiss anime. I really felt the series missed the mark with pacing and humour when compared to the manga.

I think that as far as adapting goes, the ParaKiss anime was okay. If they had actually adapted more than half of the last volume, they would rank a lot higher (I'm still really annoyed that they didn't show that spoiler[Hiro is the fiance at the end]).

I also think that stylistically, especially when it comes to chibi moments, that the anime didn't do as good a job as NANA, where it seems much more natural.

Still, I think the anime is quite good in it's own right, though there are definitely things I would have preferred them do/not do.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:52 am Reply with quote
Geneon who is notorious for their lack of extras had a decent amount of extras on their Paradise Kiss DVDs. I remember a documentary on the costumes, and a live concert amongst a few others. I wonder if Funimation will use the same extras or include new extras for their rereleases.
StickyToffeePopcorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:55 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I also think that stylistically, especially when it comes to chibi moments, that the anime didn't do as good a job as NANA, where it seems much more natural.

This was the main problem for me. Where-as I found the manga funny, I didn't really laugh throughout the anime. I found it all a bit jarring. I haven't seen the Nana anime yet though so I'm glad that you said its better in this respect. Really though I guess the problem was that I got my hopes up after loving the manga so much.

Speaking of the ParaKiss anime, why did they make Isabella a woman? ._.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
StickyToffeePopcorn wrote:

Speaking of the ParaKiss anime, why did they make Isabella a woman? ._.

They totally didn't. She's still biologically male. It just wasn't quite as obvious, at least not from the beginning (while in the manga Yukari exclaims that Isabella is a drag queen right away).

There's a few other things that aren't as obvious in the anime but do get subtly mentioned, mainly spoiler[when Arashi forced himself on Miwako]. Oddly enough, the dub seems to show this more than the sub, IIRC.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:04 am Reply with quote
I love the look of Shonen Onmyoji which is much more beautiful than Naruto. Also while the protagonist is young, I'm not sure how much of the male Naruto crowd will go for Onmyoji. I was very surprised by the adult sensibilities expressed on the 2nd dvd & thought specifically how Naruto & so many other shonen heroes would try to change the Princess's fate.

And don't forget that cute fluffy sidekick mononoke has a hot bishonen version voiced by Katsuyuki Konishi & that he is somewhat of an outcast from Abe no Seimei's group of guardians. It's closer to Tactics to me for audience appeal
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:42 am Reply with quote
I love Shounen Onmyouji!! I wish the DVDs would come out soon. I don't wanna wait til October. More Masahiro awesomeness!! Very Happy
stevek504

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I am very happy about Funimation's planned distribution of The Story of Saiunkoku. I only have the first two DVDs to base this on, so I hope it keeps up its great qualities throughout the entire series.
Quote:
Shurei is nothing short of amazing, and unlike all the hoe-y “role models” that are poisoning the girls' market today like those damnable Bratz, she's someone that I would want girls to look up to. She's kind, she's elegant, she's incredibly smart, she's hardworking, and she isn't afraid to reach for impossible dreams in a man's world.

From what Geneon had already released, Shurei looks to be THE strongest female protagonist I have ever seen. A role model for everyone – female or male.

My only hope is that Funimation issues a real art box to hold the series (not a thinpak). The fan-fold model that Geneon released doesn't do it for me. The art box needs to hold DVDs in their original clam shell boxes.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
stevek504 wrote:
From what Geneon had already released, Shurei looks to be THE strongest female protagonist I have ever seen. A role model for everyone – female or male.

I love Houko Kuwashima's performance in this since she can play tough women like Marlene Angel (Blue Gender), Sango (Inuyasha) and Vess (Mars Daybreak) as well as the little girl like Wendy (Gun X Sword), Yuriko (Master Keaton), and Hattie (Argento Soma). Her role in Saiunkoku really brings out both her strengths as she is both very feminine, yet strong. Not as wimpy as Miyaka and more adorable than Yoko.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5