• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Evangelion TV DVD Release Going Out of Print

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlaking

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
So it is going out print, you know that means RACS will be increasing the price on the copies they have left.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote
jlaking wrote:
So it is going out print, you know that means RACS will be increasing the price on the copies they have left.

Zing! They haven't yet, but their prices for either of the complete collections isn't great anyway ($78). Now, the old Manga Evangelion dvds are where it's at! Oh the value! - http://www.animecornerstore.com/neongenevmov1.html

God I'm such a dick.
stararnold

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
While I have never seen the complete 1995 "Evangelion" T.V. series while so far managing to see the first two "Rebuild of Evangelion", I too hope that another company takes over the R1 DVD rights to this classic because no one in North Ameirca who's new to watching the NGE franchise deserves to be deprived of any chances to see what started it all. "Neon Genesis Evangelion" is historically one the several definitve anime of the 1990s and sadly, there are still already a number of good old anime that today's North America-based otaku may not be able to legally access on DVD or VHS, unless copies can be found at conventions because no one yet relicensed them (examples include the "Sailor Moon" anime and 1972's "Gatchaman"). Whenever I think about anime that go out of Region 1 print without being relicensed later on, it's like a part of history is being blocked away from the current generation of people and I think we can all agree when I say, "every anime viewer deserves the right to visit anime's past while enjoying today's anime", and lets not forget that some new anime would not exist without some inspiration from the old.
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
jlaking wrote:

Zing! They haven't yet, but their prices for either of the complete collections isn't great anyway ($78). Now, the old Manga Evangelion dvds are where it's at! Oh the value! - http://www.animecornerstore.com/neongenevmov1.html

God I'm such a dick.

I never have (and never will) buy anything from RACS-the name is synonymous with ripoff as far as I'm concerned.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Ain't that something. The company needs to look now for a new cash cow that will has close to what Eva had. I got the complete collection when it was first bundled. Black box with red reflective print. But that was after I got rid of the white VHS tapes. Those copies shouldn't last long I would think since its the holidays and the afterwards when people get gift cards and what-not.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, I remember when my dad got me the Platinum ThinPak when I was sick as a kid... at the time, I was a little meh-ish towards the show, but now it's one of my absolute favorite creations in the history of ever. So sad to see it go unlicensed....

.... for five seconds. Because FUNimation is going to jump on this one in a heartbeat.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Thank God I got the Platinum tin box when it first came out.
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually pretty surprised that so many people haven't bought Evangelion yet, there were a ton of releases for the series. The VHS tapes, the first round of DVDs, the box set colledction for them, the platinum set, the platinum set that came in the collectible tin, the thinpack platinum set, the Christmas edition version...

But if someone's going to pick the series up, at least get the rights for The End of Evangelion, too? I kind of missed buying that one when it was still in stores. Laughing
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Because FUNimation is going to jump on this one in a heartbeat.

No, FUNimation will not. Anyone who picks up this franchise is taking on a dead albatross. It'll bring bad luck, not good luck.

Now, who I do suspect may be interested: Crunchyroll.

If they can swing a reasonable streaming-only license, it's quite possible this lives on to fans who have a cricket on their shoulder.

Otherwise, I firmly believe people discovering anime will have found this series long before they discover it's on these things called "DVDs".
Razz
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Jackstick wrote:
zrdb wrote:
I can't see anybody buying it if crapamation managed to get their grubby paws on-any more than I'd buy Bubblegum Crisis 2040 from them-it's the ADV version of nothing.

Is this just a case of company-loyalty, or is there a legitimate reason for why you would rather buy from ADV than Funimation?

Honest question. I don't know much about these companies, so it's not very clear to me why there's a huge preference towards ADV.

DVD-wise, Geneon & ADV's releases tend to be better authored than FUNimation's iterations. So when FUNimation picks up a title previously released by those two companies, some people wait for the comparison shots before deciding which version to purchase, or decide to buy the older release regardless.

For me, I opted to get the Gun x Sword singles from Geneon rather than to go for the FUNimation collection.
Sensei Terry Silver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I own the original DVD releases from 2000 along with the 2 movies but, save for the addition of a spanish and french audio track, these versions are bare bone as you can get. Are the extras from the Holiday edition worth a double dip?

I saw the "Huh? That's it?!" Shinji easter egg from the Holiday edition at a convention this summer, but if that's the only thing of worth on the HE, I'll keep my old versions.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure I can get this cheap at an Used DVD store or site.

The again, Amazon and eBay are gonna go full **** mode once the "original" supply runs out.
Jackstick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Do you guys know if any of these have a 16:9 aspect ratio?

Without stretching/cropping, of course.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:06 am Reply with quote
This news really isn't too surprising, especially considering the ADV / Gainax lawsuit. Either they had no plans of renewing and had nothing to loose, or the lawsuit and it's surrounding issues prevented any talks from happening.

Now whether or not this gets picked back up will depend on the asking price. Considering the success of the new movies, I have a feeling the asking price will be very high. Don't forget that so far we haven't seen the original movies rescued either. I think it may be a while before we hear any news on this, if ever.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:40 am Reply with quote
I imagine Sentai being more likely to rescue YUA than Eva, especially after Gainax reneged on the Hollywood movie deal. I could easily see FUNi bringing back the show, though, since they could hypothetically get more bang for their buck on it than with individual movies.

Nerv:
Quote:
The extras were garbage

So then they're faithful to the extras released in Japan? Rolling Eyes

Nagisa: Toei's willing to sell back DBZ at a more reasonable rate than Gainax with Eva.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5