• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Evangelion TV DVD Release Going Out of Print

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
Jackstick wrote:
Do you guys know if any of these have a 16:9 aspect ratio?

Without stretching/cropping, of course.

The tv series is 4:3, the "movies" released by Manga were 16:9.
Chii85

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm asking why is section 23 letting the series go out of print (sorry I don't mean to soapbox I just want some answers)? Why not Aesir get the rights? And are the movies remasterd (Death and Rebirth/End of Evangelion not the remakes)?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:46 am Reply with quote
ADVs license has expired*, that's all. They haven't told us why, so no one can answer your question in detail.

Here are some possible scenarios:

Sentai has licensed it and a new sentai branded packaging will be released in a few months.

The licensors wanted more money than Houston was willing to pay to renew the license, so they decided to let it go. (this could result in it being unlicensed now, or someone else might have picked it up after).

Someone else scooped the license away from Houston (brings up first right questions) and the new licensee will announce it when the time comes.

*this is actually an assumption Perhaps the license hasn't expired and they're just sunsetting this package to bring out another one later.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:00 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
If it does finally go out of print, good riddance. The series is almost 2 decades old, and it is ready to be "put out to pasture". It's been serving long past its prime. Time to let the movies and other reinventions come to the forefront.

It's time for the new generation to step up.

"If you love something, then let it go"

What the hell?

I don't even know where to begin with pointing out what's wrong with this post...

Are you also campaigning to stop retail copies of 'Gone with the Wind' and 'Casablanca' from releasing on DVD?

You seem to be confusing the concept of milking a series with sequels/commercialization with simply releasing classics as they originally are for more people to have a chance to own and watch them.

According to you, the original Star Wars Trilogy should go out of print to allow the prequel trilogy to step up.

And if the new films are spoiler[hinting at being a series of events taking place after the original series and End of Eva] then that's even more reason for people to want to seek out the original series.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:29 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Are you also campaigning to stop retail copies of 'Gone with the Wind' and 'Casablanca' from releasing on DVD?

I think his point was how many different versions of the TV series that are out there does the average otaku need? Do we really need 15 (example, not actual count) different versions of what is essentially the same thing, with little bits of extra filler added it per new release and in a different format?
Chii85

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:39 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
ADVs license has expired*, that's all. They haven't told us why, so no one can answer your question in detail.

Here are some possible scenarios:

Sentai has licensed it and a new sentai branded packaging will be released in a few months.

The licensors wanted more money than Houston was willing to pay to renew the license, so they decided to let it go. (this could result in it being unlicensed now, or someone else might have picked it up after).

Someone else scooped the license away from Houston (brings up first right questions) and the new licensee will announce it when the time comes.

*this is actually an assumption Perhaps the license hasn't expired and they're just sunsetting this package to bring out another one later.

But still, Aesir may have the rights.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing Gainex wants people to focus their money and attention on Rebuild rather than their original work.

It's a shame since Rebuild strikes me as nothing more than the world's most elaborate piece of fan-fiction.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Seems like there are 2 schools of thought on NGE-1. Those who hate it and want it to go away-ie-"Who gives a shit about NGE?"-2. Those who love it and would rather die than see NGE go bye bye.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Maybe somebody (*cough*Funimation*cough*) can license rescue it.

^^ This. Evangelion's a classic; why let it rot?

If not FUNimation, then maybe Sentai, Bandai, Media Blasters, or Discotek could pick Eva back up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5