Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva:01 is Japan's #4 Selling DVD of 2008's 1st Half


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DFBTG



Joined: 02 Sep 2007
Posts: 385
Location: Hell
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Now if only the EVA movie would be licensed and released over in the States. I highly doubt there's a lack of people willing to buy it here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13920
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:
Now if only the EVA movie would be licensed and released over in the States. I highly doubt there's a lack of people willing to buy it here.


Recalling the expensive license fee for the original Eva films, it may be prohibitively expensive for NA anime companies right now, given the state of the industry.


"Brought out on April 25 at a retail cost of 5,985 yen (about US$56.10), the collector's edition set sold 263,395 copies in sales tracked by Oricon. 219,000 of those copies were sold in the first week of its release."

Wow, 83% of its sales in the first week, and just ~40,000 in 2 months since. Not much staying power. Then again, the collector's edition is made for fans, not the mainstream - and fans are the type who'd buy it in the first week.

Anyways, #1 is Transformers. Anime fans could claim it as their own, right? Laughing
(And many people thought that'd bomb; yet now it's #1 in Japan. What does that say about Japanese tastes....)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
v1cious



Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Posts: 6062
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
ADV better do everything in their power to keep this franchise. if they lose the EVA movies, it's curtains for them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 14522
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:32 am Reply with quote
enurtsol: It says the Japanese fall for dumb movies just like everyone else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13920
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
ADV better do everything in their power to keep this franchise. if they lose the EVA movies, it's curtains for them.


ADV already lost the Eva movies before - to Manga Ent.


GATSU wrote:
enurtsol: It says the Japanese fall for dumb movies just like everyone else.


Then what does that say about the #4 Eva film and everyone else here? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DFBTG



Joined: 02 Sep 2007
Posts: 385
Location: Hell
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:58 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
DFBTG wrote:
Now if only the EVA movie would be licensed and released over in the States. I highly doubt there's a lack of people willing to buy it here.


Recalling the expensive license fee for the original Eva films, it may be prohibitively expensive for NA anime companies right now, given the state of the industry.


Ah yes, that's right. You'd think that the Japanese companies would take that into consideration though. But then, I'm not them and know very little about business. Still, a kid can dream, right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
v1cious



Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Posts: 6062
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
ADV already lost the Eva movies before - to Manga Ent.


i thought that just applied to the first two. it applies to the new ones also?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13920
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
DFBTG wrote:
Now if only the EVA movie would be licensed and released over in the States. I highly doubt there's a lack of people willing to buy it here.


Recalling the expensive license fee for the original Eva films, it may be prohibitively expensive for NA anime companies right now, given the state of the industry.


Ah yes, that's right. You'd think that the Japanese companies would take that into consideration though. But then, I'm not them and know very little about business. Still, a kid can dream, right?


As they say, I no problemo wid dat. Laughing


v1cious wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
ADV already lost the Eva movies before - to Manga Ent.


i thought that just applied to the first two. it applies to the new ones also?


I'm just sayin' that it has happened before. Who knows about the new Eva movies....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BleuVII



Joined: 19 Sep 2006
Posts: 672
Location: Tokorozawa, Japan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:04 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
GATSU wrote:
enurtsol: It says the Japanese fall for dumb movies just like everyone else.


Then what does that say about the #4 Eva film and everyone else here? Laughing


Oh... you've left yourself so wide open for a retort. Laughing

Anyway, the standard edition of Eva was just released at the end of May. The die-hard fans had already purchased the special equipment edition, so I'm assuming the "trickle sales" went to the standard edition. It'd be interesting to see how the standard edition fares at the rental stores. I've never seen it in stock, and the special equipment edition wasn't released in rental format.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
melonbread



Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 317
Location: UK (London)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:43 am Reply with quote
To note: for such a extra-heavy release as the Eva 1.01 movie LE was, the price was phenomenally AWESOME. Things like that are usually priced several thousand yen higher than what the Eva 1.01 LE was, so I recommend people to go and import it if they can - it's still available (just).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Daimao Raki



Joined: 03 Jul 2008
Posts: 593
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
I hope ADV gets this movie. It would their bank account out very well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
CitizenGeek



Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 136
Location: Ireland
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
That set really is awesome. I hope we get something like it over here in little ol' Europe :]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crescendoll



Joined: 22 Dec 2004
Posts: 60
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Now that Crows Zero is out on DVD in Japan, will we finally see its release stateside sometime soonish? I hope, I hope.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
inu-liger



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 67
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:59 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
ADV already lost the Eva movies before - to Manga Ent.


Sort of. They actually never had it to begin with, though they DID try to acquire them.

When I talked to Matt Greenfield about the original Eva movies last year, he said they showed the Japanese distributors a 'realistic' sales graph of sorts (can't recall the term atm) when they were trying to negotiate a licence, and the Japanese people basically didn't believe ADV that the 'low figures' were the actual realistic outlook on home video sales & revenue, so they decided to shop it around and Manga Entertainment ended up buying it for the higher fee that the Japanese licensprs wanted, but as it turned out, ADV's sales predictions became reality, and proved the Japanese execs wrong, and Manga LOST money instead of making money on the Eva movies initially (why do you think we haven't seen any Revival of Evangelion edit/remaster releases?). They've barely broke even since, if I am to understand right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
The Xenos



Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Posts: 1517
Location: Boston
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:14 am Reply with quote
bah, double post

Last edited by The Xenos on Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group