• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-07-11]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As a side note, I've noticed something else about cosplay; I'm not sure if it's simply that anime character design is becoming uniformly generic to the point where most anime characters blend together, but more and more often I'm noticing that a big portion of cosplayers are just guys in suits or military uniforms or some other very simple outfit. Ouran High School Host Club cosplay is popular, but that might have more to do with the fact that the outfit is a wig, a cerulean jacket and some slacks rather than the show being a huge fan favorite. Code Geass cosplay is boring as well. It's a dude in a suit.

You forgot L cosplayers from Death Note.

L cosplay seems to be:

Jeans, White Shirt, eyeliner, and gel to make the distressed hair look. Also act like your emo.

Result: Failure more times that I wish to process.

And please don't get me started on Naruto Cosplayers.
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:

So true Laughing Since I cosplay, I think I'm either a Harajuku girl (since I went as a maid before), or a Walking photoshoot type Laughing I remember the time when me and my friends went as a Rozen Maiden cosgroup (or maybe a "cosplay mafia" Laughing) , and even during our breaks people would ask to take our picture. Once people started taking our pictures, we'd be stuck there for 20-30 minutes. I was really exhausted at the end of the day, but it was fun though. I still wish my costume looked better Anime hyper

EDIT: I don't think crossplayers are necessarily bad. I've seen a lot of crossplayers (male) who are actually, well, beautiful. Female crossplayers are even better. We have a local cosplay, erm, idol here named Jin and she's known for her fantastic crossplays as Naruto and Ichigo(? the guy from Bleach). I think she went to a US con with her brother recently, and looks like she was a hit.

Quote:
New fans get all excited about it and it really is its own culture inside anime fandom, so unless you become a hardcore cosplayer, your enthusiasm for seeing someone in a Naruto costume is going to wane as the years roll on.

I thought cosplaying was ridiculous until I went to my first con (which wasn't even a major con). When I saw people cosplaying my favorite characters, I suddenly felt the urge to cosplay, and I'm addicted to cosplaying now (not to mention flat broke because of it Anime cry). It's been a year since then and so far my "addiction" hasn't wavered yet, and I don't think it will soon because the quality of costumes I'm seeing increases everytime I go to a con.

Last edited by jetz on Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:51 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
That bunny hugging the cat is everywhere today.

Nice Pee Wee ref there! LOL!

I tried cosplay myself but never got into the cosplay fandom. I respect someone who puts hard work into a costume but it's not my thing. Plus getting in my way to get pics taken is annoying as hell in a crowded hallway!

I like standing out in my own way at cons. I heard the best way to stand out at a con is too not look like a congoer at all. Maybe a tux or something.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote
Wow, that Eva movie question is really a throwback to the olden days of Hey Answerman! where every other question was "When will X be released?"
Quote:
I think cosplay is either something you take a serious personal interest in or you stop caring about it and are more annoyed by cosplayers stopping in the middle of crowded convention hallways to have their photo taken than you are impressed with their costume. It has its place, and the Masquerade will probably always be the most popular event at any given convention, but don't feel bad because you didn't have a heart attack upon seeing someone in a really well-done Vash the Stampede costume. It's OK to not care anymore.
Quoted for veracity. I think I reached that point after about the 4th con I attended, which was also the first "major" con I went to (A-Kon 2006). Judging from anecdotes from oldschool congoers, anime cons used to be about, well, anime with a bit of cosplay on the side. These days I get the feeling that they're costume display conventions with a bit of anime on the side. Okay that's an exaggeration, but I definitely get annoyed by cosplayer antics. Sure, it's easy to not go to the actual Masquerade, but I really do hate how they block hallways, stairways, and other tight spaces to take pictures and expect everyone else in the area to cater to them so that they can get their precious picture taken. I swear I'm going to start walking straight through impromptu shoots if they're blocking a tight space or forcing a long detour. Why should everyone else be inconvenienced for the cosplayers' convenience?
1stAgent wrote:
Nowadays I find I have more fun making derisive lists about cosplayers based on marginally-related forum threads.
So true, so very true.
Quote:
As a side note, I've noticed something else about cosplay; I'm not sure if it's simply that anime character design is becoming uniformly generic to the point where most anime characters blend together, but more and more often I'm noticing that a big portion of cosplayers are just guys in suits or military uniforms or some other very simple outfit.
I've noticed this too, but I think anime male character design has always been generic compared to female character design. A lot of shows will have distinctive female outfits or school uniforms, but the male outfits will be generic enough to be unrecognizable out of context. So as more guys get into cosplay, they find they don't have many options: generic suits/uniforms, or one of the few distinctive designs like Vash, Alucard, or [insert Final Fantasy male lead here]. I've long wanted to cosplay as Shannon Casull from Scrapped Princess, but I wouldn't know where to begin with putting the costume together. (Yeah I know I expressed disdain for cosplay, but I still want to try it once and see what it's like.)
scortia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Code Geass cosplay is boring as well. It's a dude in a suit. Who cares?

There are two problems with this statement. One, few DUDES actually cosplay as Lelouche. Second, there's a load of intricate costumes from the show that people cosplay that aren't just the standard Ashford uniform. Sorry, I'm a cosplayer already dreading the hell of making Schneizel's costume.

I'm tempted to submit a proper email to state why living in the Card Captor Sakura universe would be the best place to live EVER. Razz
Earl_of_Poison

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
. Code Geass cosplay is boring as well. It's a dude in a suit. Who cares?

IMO, that's when the craftsmanship aspect comes into it. Some designs can look deceivingly simple, but turn out to be a ton of work. (especially depending on that person's skill level.) Or I know some people who will take a simple design and take it to the next level with the amount of detail work they put into it to make it look that much better. (which I personally love seeing.)

But I think there should be some sort of ettquitte list though for new cosplayers when it comes to posing at cons and all that. things like going off to the side of the hallway and generally not doing anything to block traffic.
And another big one I think would be learning to say no. Most cosplayers often feel obligated to always say yes to pictures (I think it comes from most cosplayers being pretty young having having the feeling that they need to please everybody.) and sometimes what happens is one quick photograph turns into being mobbed by 20+ photographers and being stuck there. They just need to lear to say "sorry, I have to go/if I see you later/etc." That definetely would clear up a lot of blocking issues. I've also heard of cons also have special areas specifically for cosplayers/photographers to hang out which would definetely also clear up crowding issues.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
firecrouch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
I actually heard from John Ledford at Anime Expo this past weekend that the "Rebuild of Evangelion" movies might not come out here anytime soon. It has to do with Hideaki Anno, who basically has complete control over these movies he made with his own studio. He has own ideas about how it should be released overseas, specifically he thinks they should be released in North America in a way that people will get to watch it for free.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:
I actually heard from John Ledford at Anime Expo this past weekend that the "Rebuild of Evangelion" movies might not come out here anytime soon. It has to do with Hideaki Anno, who basically has complete control over these movies he made with his own studio. He has own ideas about how it should be released overseas, specifically he thinks they should be released in North America in a way that people will get to watch it for free.

That's a very silly thing to hear from anybody in the business. Perhaps you heard wrong? Directors have zero say in how a film gets released, and Anno has no "private studio". The new Eva movies, like every Japanese film, were made by a consortium of huge international companies that own the title. Seisaku Iinkai, or Production Committees, are how almost everything gets made these days. Japan does pay more legal attention to creators than other countries, but movies are the exception.

That said, it's generally expected that with a title like this, the sales agent for the film was holding out for something ridiculous, like a 1000+ screen theatrical release, or an obscene up-front payment. Once enough companies decline to fulfill these expectations, they tend to come down.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
firecrouch wrote:

That's a very silly thing to hear from anybody in the business. Perhaps you heard wrong? Directors have zero say in how a film gets released, and Anno has no "private studio". The new Eva movies, like every Japanese film, were made by a consortium of huge international companies that own the title. Seisaku Iinkai, or Production Committees, are how almost everything gets made these days. Japan does pay more legal attention to creators than other countries, but movies are the exception.

That said, it's generally expected that with a title like this, the sales agent for the film was holding out for something ridiculous, like a 1000+ screen theatrical release, or an obscene up-front payment. Once enough companies decline to fulfill these expectations, they tend to come down.

On the contrary, everything I've heard about the new eva movies was that Anno went and formed his own new company specifically for the project where he has central control.
I'm not sure where the funding came from but with a name like his he probably managed to raise the funds without as many strings attached. Just look at your own encylopedia, the list of involved companies is quite small, with Studio Khara doing the animation and production by itself. And Studio Khara was founded by Anno specifically for this project and has no other projects.

If there was EVER an anime where it could even be possible for the director to dictate how it was released over seas, this is the one, because Anno is not simply the director of the movie, he's also the founder of the animation studio and production company for the movie.

To the point, however, I highly doubt that Anno really wants people in the US to watch it for free Smile. Ledford must have been hung-over or something.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:39 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
On the contrary, everything I've heard about the new eva movies was that Anno went and formed his own new company specifically for the project where he has central control.
I'm not sure where the funding came from but with a name like his he probably managed to raise the funds without as many strings attached. Just look at your own encylopedia, the list of involved companies is quite small, with Studio Khara doing the animation and production by itself. And Studio Khara was founded by Anno specifically for this project and has no other projects.

Interesting. I guess when you put it that way it's not outside the realm of possibility. But if it is true, and all these weird demands/stipulations are being put on its US release, I don't see too many US companies biting. With the DVD market in the crapper and indie theatrical divisions dying left and right, few are in the mood to be remote controlled by a boutique Japanese producer with no clue about the US market, no other titles and a franchise that could debatably be past its sell-by date in the US.
Astraea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:54 am Reply with quote
On the mention of Higurashi: with it being picked up again, does that mean it could get a European/British release? (I say British specifically because, well, that's where I am).

I'm hardly going to demand one; it's lucky it was re-licensed at all, and it is a bit...unusual, but I enjoyed what I've seen of it. Just curious.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:11 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
samuelp wrote:

Interesting. I guess when you put it that way it's not outside the realm of possibility. But if it is true, and all these weird demands/stipulations are being put on its US release, I don't see too many US companies biting. With the DVD market in the crapper and indie theatrical divisions dying left and right, few are in the mood to be remote controlled by a boutique Japanese producer with no clue about the US market, no other titles and a franchise that could debatably be past its sell-by date in the US.

Yeah, I can just imagine the contract: "You will release this movie, and make it available for free. You will also have minimum royalty payments of $10,000 a month plus 50% of all revenue from the product. Oh, and don't forget, you must make it available for free."

Who knows what they're really thinking. The fact is, the longer it goes unlicensed the more evidence we have that Anno (or well, his company) is demanding something really weird/outrageous.
If there's anything that could make some serious sales in this market right now, it's the new Slayers, the eva rebuild movies, and the rumored new season of full metal alchemist which probably doesn't exist.
kona-chan13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:05 am Reply with quote
cos-play to me is for people who like attention but i like it because it gives me something to do when waiting in line.like how many narutos can you find? or whos the fatter cos-player? Very Happy
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:49 am Reply with quote
On the Eva dub: I actually don't mind the old one, but I sort of like the idea of hearing a new cast. I'd like to see what other actors would do with the roles. Particularly since, at least in Spike Spencer's case, he doesn't seem to really like being Shinji anyway.

Although I would like to see Greg Ayres as Kaworu again--he's such a fanboy of the show, I'd feel sort of sad for him if he didn't get a chance to be in it.

As for cosplaying, I've only been to two cons, so it hasn't worn off for me yet. Actually, I'm still really dazzled by it--and my next con will be my first time cosplaying, too. I'll try to remember not to block traffic, though!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:58 am Reply with quote
Where do you send the response to the Hey Answerfans! question? Where do you post it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6