• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-07-11]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malik_chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I've read some Kodomo no Jikan... it's not that bad. But I mostly read it because I think the teacher is cute.

The world I'd live in would be the YGO world because then I could go and hunt down Malik Ishtar and... yeah!
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. Another picture of a cat and its victim.

As for an anime world to live in, I would go for the world of Aria. It has a terraformed Mars with a good tourist infrastructure, and no evidence of wars, or major risk of world destruction. That is, if the manga is anything to go by. The anime hasn't been released in R1 yet.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Haibane Renmai...something about having wings sounds pleasant, even if they're small and rip through your back in the beginning.

Honestly, as much as I love the world of Haibane Renmei, I don't think I'd want to live there. Too boring, to painful, both physically (yeah, the wings..... ) and emotionally (not knowing who you are or where you come from), just no.

Anyways, that's a really hard question for me to answer. I'd say pretty much any of the shounen adventure type of worlds, like the world of Pokemon, or the world of Dragonball, or the world of One Piece, the world of Hunter X Hunter or Naruto, or maybe even Fullmetal Alchemist. you know, something like that. It'd be pretty perilous to live in a world like that, yeah, but oh my goodness how fun it would be! All the adventures one could have, all the kinds of powers one would possess, the actual occupations such as a Hunter or a Ninja or a Pirate or an Alchemist, I just think that'd be the most exciting thing ever.

Another one I was thinking of though that'd be pretty awesome to live in is the world of Denno Coil. The whole idea of the cyberglasses just sounds like something that would have been a blast growing up with as a kid, or maybe even to have now.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
All the adventures one could have, all the kinds of powers one would possess, the actual occupations such as a Hunter or a Ninja or a Pirate or an Alchemist, I just think that'd be the most exciting thing ever.

"May you live in interesting times". -Chinese Proverb/Curse.

I don't think you'd be too excited after spending time as a persecuted Ishvalan, a wanted pirate, or a savage ninja. After all, only one person gets to be hero who saves the day, and all the rest of the world is in danger of being slaughtered at any time. Why should you be the hero? Now, even if you are the hero, you are liable to be wracked by Survivor's Guilt caused by watching all your comrades/loved ones brutally die one by one.

I would despise living in the FMA world. I won't be spoilerish, so I'll just say that I'd rather be a bored but comfortable New Zealander than live in Amestris.

Ignorance is bliss. Of course everyone wants their life to mean something, but wouldn't it be easier to live a peaceful life? Fighting in a world like Naruto is only fun until someone gets killed or a village gets razed.

That said, it was Voltaire who "wrote" (I'm paraphrasing) "If this (Earth) is the best possible world, what must the rest be like?" Our world isn't perfect. But I have yet to see an Anime world that's better. Which isn't surprising, since said Anime world would naturally have little to no drama in it, which translates to a very boring Anime.

So, perhaps the best Anime world is a world which no writer would ever visit: a world in which nothing bad ever happens.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Of course everyone wants their life to mean
something, but wouldn't it be easier to live a peaceful life?

You know what's really peaceful? Death. I can enjoy peace and quiet then.

That's not to say peace is a bad thing, but rejecting risk or any prospect of adventure is just excessive. Path of least resistance = path of least reward.

I don't know what world I'd live in. I think our world has enough potential for crazy/coolness to last a lifetime, really. If pressed, I'd say maybe Eureka Seven? If only because I'd love to go Reffing.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Probably Bleach. Get to live long after you die, and possibly get reincarnated when you "die" there? (I don't think Kubo has really addressed where the Soul Reapers go after they die, but I could be wrong). Although I imagine it can be boring there sometimes, so maybe the One Piece world.

Definitely not Fullmetal Alchemist. Some messed up stuff goes down there. And you couldn't pay me anything to approach the Evangelion world. Shocked
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Yes, definitely Eva movie on Blu-ray.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
Haibane Renmai...something about having wings sounds pleasant, even if they're small and rip through your back in the beginning.

Honestly, as much as I love the world of Haibane Renmei, I don't think I'd want to live there. Too boring, to painful, both physically (yeah, the wings..... ) and emotionally (not knowing who you are or where you come from), just no.
Besides spoiler[They weren't suppose to live there forever. They were only there to atone for their sins, find redemption, then move on. If one couldn't do that it was a dark and lonely place waiting for them.] So as much as I love HR, I wouldn't want to live like that.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
BrothersElric wrote:
All the adventures one could have, all the kinds of powers one would possess, the actual occupations such as a Hunter or a Ninja or a Pirate or an Alchemist, I just think that'd be the most exciting thing ever.

"May you live in interesting times". -Chinese Proverb/Curse.

I don't think you'd be too excited after spending time as a persecuted Ishvalan, a wanted pirate, or a savage ninja. After all, only one person gets to be hero who saves the day, and all the rest of the world is in danger of being slaughtered at any time. Why should you be the hero? Now, even if you are the hero, you are liable to be wracked by Survivor's Guilt caused by watching all your comrades/loved ones brutally die one by one.

I would despise living in the FMA world. I won't be spoilerish, so I'll just say that I'd rather be a bored but comfortable New Zealander than live in Amestris.

Ignorance is bliss. Of course everyone wants their life to mean something, but wouldn't it be easier to live a peaceful life? Fighting in a world like Naruto is only fun until someone gets killed or a village gets razed.

That said, it was Voltaire who "wrote" (I'm paraphrasing) "If this (Earth) is the best possible world, what must the rest be like?" Our world isn't perfect. But I have yet to see an Anime world that's better. Which isn't surprising, since said Anime world would naturally have little to no drama in it, which translates to a very boring Anime.

So, perhaps the best Anime world is a world which no writer would ever visit: a world in which nothing bad ever happens.

Boy, talk about a glass is half empty perspective.....

It's like I said in that post, it may be perilous to live in a world like that, but that's where all the fun and excitement lies! I mean like you say, yeah, there's enough of that in our current world today, but hey, if that's the case then why not live in a world with similar similar dangers as our current world's only with more potential for adventure and with cool, fantasy type stuff? The danger's worth it if at least for that alone. And I certainly wouldn't mind dieing if I died in such an adventurous way anyways. The kind of experiences I'd have would be well worth it.

What I wouldn't want however is to live in one of these shounen/fantasy worlds where your persecuted by an evil empire (something like Vision of Escaflowne, or maybe FMA I guess I could give you that one Anime smile + sweatdrop ) or have to live in fear in a demon-infested land (Inuyasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, Bleach, Claymore, D.Gray-Man, ect..... )or something like that.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
-One rumor I've heard going around is that Disney is going to pick up Rebuild of Eva. I REALLY doubt that it's true, but it would certainly be interesting to see what they'd do with it (I'm guessing we wouldn't see John Lassiter giving each film a glowing introduction.)

...Oh man, I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope not. I'm saying this as someone who considers herself a Disney fan, too, and for the most part has been pleased with their Ghibli releases. The Ghibli things are...mostly family movies, or at the very least rather positive. Evangelion is so out there and depressing in comparison...no, I can't see the mix of Eva and Disney going well at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I think the 80/20 rule applies to cosplay as well. 80% of the cosplayers are from only 20% (or less) of the anime/manga out there. So yeah, you can't keep getting excited about the 200th Court Guard Captain you see from Bleach. I love seeing the unusual/under represented character or show, whether it's pro level quality or closet scrounged. I like it when people think outside the box. And yes, I will always have a soft nostalgic spot for anyone who cosplays as Sailor Saturn or Pluto.

Beyond that, it also has to do with whether or not costume in general is your thing. I'll always drool over a well-constructed outfit. But that's because I'm a costume junkie beyond anything anime related. Before my first attempts at cosplay, I had a nice little collection of Regency costumes (think Jane Austen).

Nei, who loves cosplaying as FMP!'s Tessa and, as gawd is her witness, will one day cosplay as BeBe, Duchess of Bordeux from Glass Fleet.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
I could have sworn that Zac already asked the question about living in an anime world, but that's probably my imagination. Anyways, there will probably be a day when KnJ will get released here in the United States. Heck, I make plenty of money selling Japanese copies of the series on Ebay.
Ambrogino

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
-One rumor I've heard going around is that Disney is going to pick up Rebuild of Eva. I REALLY doubt that it's true, but it would certainly be interesting to see what they'd do with it (I'm guessing we wouldn't see John Lassiter giving each film a glowing introduction.)

...Oh man, I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope not. I'm saying this as someone who considers herself a Disney fan, too, and for the most part has been pleased with their Ghibli releases. The Ghibli things are...mostly family movies, or at the very least rather positive. Evangelion is so out there and depressing in comparison...no, I can't see the mix of Eva and Disney going well at all.

But Disney owns Miramax, so they've certainly got the capability to put it out without labelling it as a Disney film. They'd certainly be able to put a bigger media campaign behind the release than any of the current anime companies.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Ambrogino wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

But Disney owns Miramax, so they've certainly got the capability to put it out without labelling it as a Disney film. They'd certainly be able to put a bigger media campaign behind the release than any of the current anime companies.

Besides we've gotten dubtitles (Blood +) and close captioning (Batman Gotham Knight) from Sony and Warner respectively. Disney has its act together with Ghibli titles and may be the best out of the bunch.

It would be fun to see Lassiter do a commentary for EVA . Also, Disney backing would make it easier to get it into theaters and nominated for awards.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quote
True but who would do the dubbing? Not the originnal cast and probably not any of our anime favorites. Gendo ikari played by the same va as king trition? lol probably not but still. They did a good job on all of my favorite miyazaki movies though so it could be ok.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6