• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo 2008 Announces Numbers

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
majin pichu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
is it me or does AX not know their numbers? or did they lie about their numbers

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-07-07/anime-expo-08-announces-numbers This link states their numbers are 43,000 people with 41,500 last year

This http://animecons.com/events/info.shtml/1071 confirms the 41,500

But during the key note address animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2008/anime-expo/keynote-address-the-future-of-the-spja
they state last year had over 44,000 people and they estimate over 47,000 people this year.

That's a huge difference in numbers

Last edited by majin pichu on Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
There are a *lot* of ways to come up with numbers at a con. Paid attendees or badges sold is one thing, total people on the floor, including staff, etc., is another, and estimates only ever count for so much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jih2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, it sounds like con attendance is still pretty strong, I'm happy con participation is still up, I personally am not ready to see conventions die out.
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Dammnit, I wish I had been part of those numbers Anime cry maybe next year
Jacut

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm I expected something a bit bigger coming from the USA. I mean, the US market for animes is the third (or fourth?) in the world, whereas France's is much smaller so I guessed it was something gigantic Wink

In fatc, we had our big expo too last week end from the 3rd to 6th of july in Paris, the Japan Expo, which is considered the biggest convention related to Japan in Europe and it drained something like 110.000 - 120.000 people, 2 1/2 more than Anime Expo. Well, I know the event is totaly crazy with an insane number of fans everywhere, you can't even walk on saturdays, crowded as it is, with people spending hundreds of euros in every anime/goodies booth, thousands of cosplayers etc... Well I guess it's a one-of-a-kind event but I'm still a bit disappointed from the figures of Anime Expo, I imagined something much much bigger.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad it's Downtown, since I don't have to pay for a hotel, but it'd be nice if, after being forced to wait in the heat for a popular GOH, that I can be allowed to return, if I suddenly need to use the restroom. [*cough* David Hayter *cough*]
math4origami

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
@Jacut
AX isn't the only convention in the US. There are also (from wikipedia):
1. Anime Expo - 41,671 total[2]
2. Otakon - 22,852 estimated total
3. A-Kon - 14,500 estimated paid
4. Anime North - 13,500 total, 11,286 paid
5. Anime Central - 12,769 total; 10,987 paid
6. FanimeCon - 12,000 estimated total
7. Anime Boston - 11,500 total; 10,559 paid
8. Sakura-Con - 11,000 estimated total; 10,500 estimated paid
9. Anime Weekend Atlanta - 9,825 paid
10. AnimeNEXT - 7,100 estimated total
11. Katsucon - 7,100 estimated total, 6,200 paid
12. Ohayocon - 6,240 estimated total, 6,124 paid
So if you add the numbers, then you get a similar magnitude. AX just happens to be the biggest. The US is much bigger than France, so many people just go to their local convention.
Proz512

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Most of the US cons who've held their conventions this year have all announced a sizable growth for each respectable con. While only 2 cons will probably surpass the 20k mark in '08 (Otakon/AX), if the rate of growth continues into '09 expect at least the top 5 to all hit 20k or more and most of the top 10 to be in the 10k range.
CyberTRex8u

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
well im glad to hear that con numbers are exponentionaly growing, despite the previously mentioned mis counting, theough that is kind of funny.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
So this bolsters the statistics that con attendance is rising, whilst sales of physical product is falling sharply. Hrm. Confused
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
So this bolsters the statistics that con attendance is rising, whilst sales of physical product is falling sharply. Hrm. Confused

I wonder if one took the total number of anime DVD units sold in the US in any given year, and divided that number by total number of unique con attendees (I know such a number would be impossible to calculate since some people attend more than 1 con I'm sure), I wonder what number you would get. What is the average number of DVDs that the average con-goer buys over the course of the year?

I think at this point I'm at around 15 or so (that includes a couple of box sets being counted as a single unit, so total number of discs is probably over 20).

Unfortunately, due to the economy generally, that's a drop for me from past years, though I hope to make up for it at Otakon Very Happy (I know buying there is more expensive than online, but there is just something about buying your stuff in a dealers room).
bmfrosty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
There are a *lot* of ways to come up with numbers at a con. Paid attendees or badges sold is one thing, total people on the floor, including staff, etc., is another, and estimates only ever count for so much.

I'd think that the best way would involve the number of badges printed. It should give them a very good level of control, as they'd be able to subtract any particular subsection of the number that they wanted to.
Navikia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Thought I post a link in case anyone want to see some photos taken at the event:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rick_r/

______
reptilesandsamurai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I had a great time AX. First time I went to a multi-day con. Here are the pics I took.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ragingwookie/
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
bmfrosty wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:

I'd think that the best way would involve the number of badges printed. It should give them a very good level of control, as they'd be able to subtract any particular subsection of the number that they wanted to.

Sounds like a fairly simple method. So is AX reporting "room nights", "paid admissions", or the actual number of unique attendees?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3