• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword of the Stranger to Begin LA/NYC Run on July 18

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:40 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
That's for foreign language pictures, not animated films.

The Best Animated Feature Award has to follow many of the same rules.

Anyways (*sigh* can't believe I'm doing this tonight), here's the relevant rules:

Rule 7: SPECIAL RULES FOR THE BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM AWARD

II. ELIGIBILITY

1. Except as indicated above, films in this category must meet all the requirements in Academy Awards Rules Two, Three and Four.

Rule 3: The Awards Year and Deadlines

3. A picture first theatrically exhibited outside the U.S. prior to the Los Angeles qualifying run shall be eligible for submission provided the prior exhibition takes place in a commercial motion picture theater after January 1, 2007, with the following further conditions:

a. the film may not be exhibited publicly in any nontheatrical form for a 90-day period following the commencement of its initial theatrical engagement, and

b. after the 90-day period, the film may play in nontheatrical forms provided they are outside the U.S. (No film that is shown inside the U.S. in any nontheatrical form prior to its qualifying Los Angeles run shall be eligible for Academy Awards.)

Again, Tokikake was theatrically released in Japan in 2006. It follows like any other foreign film requirements.
(3a and 3b answers the rule about the TV and DVD release.)
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A picture first theatrically exhibited outside the U.S. prior to the Los Angeles qualifying run shall be eligible for submission provided the prior exhibition takes place in a commercial motion picture theater after January 1, 2007,

But that's not the same as saying it can't be screened before that date. If it played in Japan that long, then it's eligible.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
A picture first theatrically exhibited outside the U.S. prior to the Los Angeles qualifying run shall be eligible for submission provided the prior exhibition takes place in a commercial motion picture theater after January 1, 2007,

But that's not the same as saying it can't be screened before that date. If it played in Japan that long, then it's eligible.

OK, I get what you're saying, though I doubt Tokikake was still playing in Japan by 2007, 6 months after its premiere (Vintage: 2006-07-15).

Addendum:

This is still a hurdle too:

Rule 3: The Awards Year and Deadlines

1. The required Los Angeles County qualifying run (described in Rule Two Paragraph 2) must open between January 1, 2008 and midnight of December 31, 2008.

If it already made its qualifying run last year, I don't think another qualifying run is allowed a 2nd opening.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:47 am Reply with quote
enurtsol: It didn't run in L.A. last year. It just had a brief screening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2